Oyster 1250?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Oyster 1250?

June 26th, 2012, 1:57 pm #1

Hello all,

I have inherited an old Rolex watch which I'd like to find out more about. It has "Oyster Patent" on the winder and three sets of numbers on the back, a five digit number then a three digit number and then finally a four digit number which I have been told is the model number (1250) but I haven't had any luck identifying it.

Thanks for any help.

June 26th, 2012, 2:17 pm #2

is a late 1920's gold Rolex Oyster jewel lever manual wind octagonal cased watch.

The case is a three piece case with a knurled bezel and case back which screw against an inner metal cylinder, compressing a lead gasket against the case body to protect the mechanism against dust and moisture.

The winder is a screw down winder which appears to still screw down against the watch case (the winder could be a slightly later replacment).

The watch dial is a porcelain enamel dial which unfortunately has hairline cracks and minor chips (not uncommon). The dial and hands look to be original to the watch.

The model reference is likely to be the 3 digit number on the case back, and the individual case number the 5 digit number.

An interesting watch, but not particularly valuable in this condition, between $1,200-2,500 depending on the caratage of the gold (the hallmarks will be inside the case).

Hope this helps!

June 26th, 2012, 2:29 pm #3

Knowing the correct model number makes all the difference to searching on Google!

I assume that the hands must have originally been filled with something as there is the remnant of something on the hour hand and there is some "gunk" around the edge of the face.

Do you (or anyone else) know where I could get it cleaned (in the London region)? It does keep good time but I think it would benefit from a clean.

Thanks again.

Mike Wood
Mike Wood

June 26th, 2012, 3:55 pm #4

Hands were filled with radium luminous material which has crumbled and fallen out.

You could take your watch to the Antique Watch Co. at 19 Clerkenwell Road, EC1M 5RD, for advice about servicing...

Good luck!

June 27th, 2012, 4:16 am #5

Hello all,

I have inherited an old Rolex watch which I'd like to find out more about. It has "Oyster Patent" on the winder and three sets of numbers on the back, a five digit number then a three digit number and then finally a four digit number which I have been told is the model number (1250) but I haven't had any luck identifying it.

Thanks for any help.
what a nice piece of history! just lovely!