Overuse of terms such as "unpolished" "all original", etc.

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Overuse of terms such as "unpolished" "all original", etc.

fadaman
VRF Member
fadaman
VRF Member

August 3rd, 2011, 4:14 pm #1

There has been much discussion lately about the misuse or careless use of the term "unpolished" in seller descriptions. I totally agree, but will not waste forum time rehashing that discussion.

I have a much more serious beef with the forum, one that goes to the very heart of communication and sincerity in a fragile internet community. Put simply, the overuse and misues of "LOL" or laugh out loud.

I started noticing this phenomenon when a certain member, who shall remain nameless, would customarily piss people off or rub people the wrong way, then in defense of attacks would say things to his accuser to imply that they had a special friendship and end the post with LOL. Either he is delusional about his relationship with members on the forum, or he is deranged for laughing out loud. I suspect neither, rather misuse of the phrase.

More recently, LOL has found itself everywhere. It makes me wonder whether the friedships I have forged on VRF are better left as online friendships, because if people really laughed out loud as often and in the same context as they post LOL in the forum, I think I would go insane if I had to spend time with them.

Join the movement for the correct and moderate use of LOL?

Best, David

August 3rd, 2011, 4:21 pm #2

I posted a picture of a watch I own and had the same reply.I do not even know the guy I posted pictures asking for opinions.And got the same LOL the others opinions seem to have genuinely wanted to help but for One.I do not know if he thinks its funny but he would be the last person you would sit at the side of at a party given a choice

YetiBiker
VRF Member
YetiBiker
VRF Member

August 3rd, 2011, 5:08 pm #3

There has been much discussion lately about the misuse or careless use of the term "unpolished" in seller descriptions. I totally agree, but will not waste forum time rehashing that discussion.

I have a much more serious beef with the forum, one that goes to the very heart of communication and sincerity in a fragile internet community. Put simply, the overuse and misues of "LOL" or laugh out loud.

I started noticing this phenomenon when a certain member, who shall remain nameless, would customarily piss people off or rub people the wrong way, then in defense of attacks would say things to his accuser to imply that they had a special friendship and end the post with LOL. Either he is delusional about his relationship with members on the forum, or he is deranged for laughing out loud. I suspect neither, rather misuse of the phrase.

More recently, LOL has found itself everywhere. It makes me wonder whether the friedships I have forged on VRF are better left as online friendships, because if people really laughed out loud as often and in the same context as they post LOL in the forum, I think I would go insane if I had to spend time with them.

Best, David
I am ROTFLOL to this post!!! :)

Brian
Brian

August 3rd, 2011, 5:17 pm #4

Best, David
There's one minute of my life I'll never get back.

fadaman
VRF Member
fadaman
VRF Member

August 3rd, 2011, 5:35 pm #5

Something tells me it took you much longer than a minute. If you are that concerned with being judicious with your time, why are you anonymously trolling internet forums in the middle of a productive work day? Sorry to waste your time with a bit of humour intended to add a bit of levity. Anonymous Brian is a very important man, obviously.

Jacek_K
VRF Member
Jacek_K
VRF Member

August 3rd, 2011, 5:35 pm #6

Best, David
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6dJtScS ... e=youtu.be

fadaman
VRF Member
fadaman
VRF Member

August 3rd, 2011, 5:47 pm #7

I will update this post if and when it becomes audible.

August 3rd, 2011, 10:07 pm #8

LOL!!!! Completely correct David!

August 3rd, 2011, 11:50 pm #9

Best, David
LOL!

rpmooreii
VRF Member
rpmooreii
VRF Member

August 4th, 2011, 1:17 am #10

Best, David
I see this on VLJ from one person in particular and wonder what the hell it means.... Laugh out out out out out out out out loud????

Last edited by rpmooreii on August 4th, 2011, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.