Opinions on the PCG 7921

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Opinions on the PCG 7921

teflprof
VRF Member
teflprof
VRF Member

October 10th, 2017, 2:14 pm #1

Good afternoon, I recently have been looking at this 1961 7928 PCG and would like to know how do you think it looks, I know the hands have been changes as well as it might be relumed although not 100% sure. Crown is worn down pretty good and looks like it came right off granddad's wrist. Movement appears ok but not sure if it should be rhodium or not. Thanks and any opinions are welcomed.

Best,
Steve

teflprof
VRF Member
teflprof
VRF Member

October 10th, 2017, 7:00 pm #2

Any help folks?

October 11th, 2017, 11:40 pm #3

These are always tricky. For starters the PCG is pretty worn and polished. Insert is obviously a later service insert. The dial looks to me to be relumed. Have you tried going over it with a UV light?

Best of luck

E

Linesiders
VRF Member
Linesiders
VRF Member

October 14th, 2017, 1:33 am #4

Good afternoon, I recently have been looking at this 1961 7928 PCG and would like to know how do you think it looks, I know the hands have been changes as well as it might be relumed although not 100% sure. Crown is worn down pretty good and looks like it came right off granddad's wrist. Movement appears ok but not sure if it should be rhodium or not. Thanks and any opinions are welcomed.

Best,
Steve

Frankly I think the dial is aftermarket. Would want better photos to be certain but:

The 200 is not heavy forward on the 2
= is too centered
Rose looks wrong - circle rather than petals of a rose
66 are not broken
I expect more curve at top of 12 Triangle
Fonts generally look OK in poor images but look off when blown up. Alignment does not match the dials I've had.

teflprof
VRF Member
teflprof
VRF Member

October 14th, 2017, 9:58 am #5

Best,
Steve

I contacted the seller and told him this and he said he is going to get the watch checked out. Alarm bells went off when I saw the dial and the rose, I started comparing it to other examples here on the forum and was unable to find one that looked remotely like this one. Thanks again for the replies!

Best wishes,
Steve

October 16th, 2017, 9:21 am #6

Best,
Steve

It's hard to say without seeing the dial in real life but I think we have a case of someone trying to make it look like it came right off grandads wrist. The insert is obviously not right and the movement should be rhodium plated when 1960 and later. The the ! is later than 61. I think someone did this in his basement.

m

teflprof
VRF Member
teflprof
VRF Member

October 16th, 2017, 11:50 am #7

I think it was a basement job as well, although I think the guy selling it was fooled as well and if not he should be blacklisted. Thanks all for the heads up and for saving me a lot of heartache and from being fleeced.

Linesiders
VRF Member
Linesiders
VRF Member

October 16th, 2017, 12:43 pm #8

It's hard to say without seeing the dial in real life but I think we have a case of someone trying to make it look like it came right off grandads wrist. The insert is obviously not right and the movement should be rhodium plated when 1960 and later. The the ! is later than 61. I think someone did this in his basement.

m
The Exclamation was 61 and 62 (with a sprinkle of 63) and 63 got some underline in the mix and 63 even some Silver print ; )

Lots of transition from 60 (Radium/Tritium) through 63

Linesiders
VRF Member
Linesiders
VRF Member

October 16th, 2017, 12:44 pm #9

I think it was a basement job as well, although I think the guy selling it was fooled as well and if not he should be blacklisted. Thanks all for the heads up and for saving me a lot of heartache and from being fleeced.
I hope the seller, someone I believe to have a good rep, does get this checked out properly. I told him months ago regarding my feelings on the dial and he insisted it was legit. I insisted it was not.