Opinion needed to identify insert

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Opinion needed to identify insert

April 17th, 2016, 11:58 pm #1

Hello. I have in my possession what I think is a 6542 bezel with the insert intact. The font of the insert looks legit, but I have never seen anything like it before. The color scheme is kinda funky, with the faded red or bronze on the top and black not blue on the bottom. Also, it has what looks like a lume dot in the triangle. Is this non bakelite used in the latest series of the 6542? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

April 18th, 2016, 8:29 am #2

My opinion is that the insert is fake. I'm not confident about the bezel either, but let's have some other experts chime in!

Somebody seems to also have shaved off the top and bottom of the insert. Notice how the "8", has the bottom part cut off.

The "artist" also decided that it was in his best interest to drill a hole into the insert, and mount a tritium dot. No GMT models has ever had a tritium dot on the insert.

At best, you have a genuine bezel but with a heavily modified insert. Which isn't too bad, you just have to source a period bakelite insert for north of $15-20k usd to mount on it.

At worst, you have a fake bezel, a fake insert, but a real Rolex tritium dot. You can still move the tritium dot to the inserts to one of your submariners, as tritium dots are hard to come by.

At completely rock bottom, everything is not Rolex, the bezel can be doubled up to be used as a throwing star and the insert be used as a earring.

♚ SingaporeanWatchBaron ♚

Edited: spelt bakelite wrongly.
Last edited by singaporeanwatchbaron on April 18th, 2016, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
♚ SgWatchBaron ♚

shou.biao.kuang
VRF Member

April 18th, 2016, 3:23 pm #3

and I love this comment: "...At completely rock bottom, everything is not Rolex, the bezel can be doubled up to be used as a throwing star and the insert be used as a earring..." LOL

SBK