Once again the vintage collector's microcosm has been short sighted

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Once again the vintage collector's microcosm has been short sighted

March 7th, 2012, 6:46 pm #1

that new watch is exactly in phase with Rolex marketing views "Think global act local".

Of course, once again, collectors had Datocompax or other extravagant watches in mind
for the 2012 fair like they fantasized before Basel 2011, 2010, 2009 etc .

But what is Rolex new challenge? These two questions are directly linked
to two others: Why Tiger Woods came back into the Rolex picture?
and why (of course) not a 44mm watch?

1) Rolex is never surfing in an opportunist way on a new champions success, Rolex
always capitalise on sure values, on legendary ambassadors such as Woods or Federer
like Stewart and Killy in other times.

Now why Tiger Woods? Publicity as changed these last ten years, there is no more such a thing as good or bad
publicity anymore regarding people (as long as they dont brake any laws) and "bad boys" (as well as bad girls) are
excellent 'sellers', think about people like David Beckam, Hilton, Gaga etc.

Tiger Woods is considered in Asia as a 'sex bomb' and the still "Calvinist" America is not anymore Rolex main
target Asia and China first are the new goals. Now remember Woods origin (half Asian with a Thai mother) and if you add to this
his natural sex appeal plus a first name such as "Tiger"... believe me Rolex has been spot on choosing that new heroe. Perfect for Asiaa.

2) Of course not 44mm diameter, Rolex wants to stay fashionable but remembers that asian people are quite smaller than americans and europeans.

In short that new watch is exactly what the Asian market wanted and exactly what Rolex had to create to gain market shares in that part of the world..

Once again reading previous speculations on VRF put a smile on my face because the little microcosm always look at its belly button

Once for all, Rolex does not even remember what a Big Crown looks like and they dont need to!

March 7th, 2012, 7:10 pm #2

It would have been easy do to a better dial. I even like the inner 24 hour ring idea....but the gross applied numbers...it's all just not very tasteful. None of those stile dials are on any of the watches in my opinion.

I love the idea of the watch. The dials are horrendously bad.

March 7th, 2012, 7:40 pm #3

that new watch is exactly in phase with Rolex marketing views "Think global act local".

Of course, once again, collectors had Datocompax or other extravagant watches in mind

1) Rolex is never surfing in an opportunist way on a new champions success, Rolex
always capitalise on sure values, on legendary ambassadors such as Woods or Federer

Now why Tiger Woods? Publicity as changed these last ten years, there is no more such a thing as good or bad
publicity anymore regarding people (as long as they dont brake any laws) and "bad boys" (as well as bad girls) are

Tiger Woods is considered in Asia as a 'sex bomb' and the still "Calvinist" America is not anymore Rolex main
target Asia and China first are the new goals. Now remember Woods origin (half Asian with a Thai mother) and if you add to this
his natural sex appeal plus a first name such as "Tiger"... believe me Rolex has been spot on choosing that new heroe. Perfect for Asiaa.

2) Of course not 44mm diameter, Rolex wants to stay fashionable but remembers that asian people are quite smaller than americans and europeans.

In short that new watch is exactly what the Asian market wanted and exactly what Rolex had to create to gain market shares in that part of the world..

Once again reading previous speculations on VRF put a smile on my face because the little microcosm always look at its belly button

Once for all, Rolex does not even remember what a Big Crown looks like and they dont need to!

...Good; it is always better to look at the glass as half full, than half empty. But in this case, it is really hard! No amount of rationalising can negate the fact that the new watch is a design faux pas.

March 7th, 2012, 7:51 pm #4

did you read my post?
Would you buy that car?

March 7th, 2012, 7:55 pm #5

They are still butt ugly!! LOL
Last edited by 964RS on March 7th, 2012, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 7th, 2012, 8:00 pm #6

March 7th, 2012, 8:23 pm #7

I guess one comment could be made that within the asian market, tastes still vary in terms of design asthetics, layout, etc. and there is probably a spectrum here. I wonder whether there could have been a layout that would have greater appeal accross that spectrum.

I have to admit, the design made me throw up in my mouth. But with a smooth bezel, the ring around the perimeter and non roman indices, maybe not so much and maybe the design would still accomplish what it was intending to do for the target market.

But then again, perhaps there are many different configurations of indices, etc. planned for this watch. One thing is for sure, Rolex has to be the most powerful brand and the most polarizing brand I know of.

Best, D.

March 7th, 2012, 8:28 pm #8

We know Asia is Rolex's next big market....like it is for most manufacturers of just about any prestige item.

I'm not sure the vintage collectors microcosm was short sighted though?

That's a bit of a sweeping statement at vintage collectors.

I'm sure lots of them would have 'wished' for something other than they got....but I doubt many are surprised.

March 7th, 2012, 8:57 pm #9

I guess one comment could be made that within the asian market, tastes still vary in terms of design asthetics, layout, etc. and there is probably a spectrum here. I wonder whether there could have been a layout that would have greater appeal accross that spectrum.

I have to admit, the design made me throw up in my mouth. But with a smooth bezel, the ring around the perimeter and non roman indices, maybe not so much and maybe the design would still accomplish what it was intending to do for the target market.

But then again, perhaps there are many different configurations of indices, etc. planned for this watch. One thing is for sure, Rolex has to be the most powerful brand and the most polarizing brand I know of.

Best, D.
...I think with the bezel being integral to the watch's functions it would not be practical as far as grip.
I think this model does use the acres of empty space on the faces of these new jumbo Dress models much better.
And who knows? Maybe they will jump off from this complication and add a Moonphase disc in place of the 24 hour register.
I personally think that would suit the style of the watch much better, though I can see the value of home time for jet set travel.
I do wonder whether the pointless virtuosity of the YM II made this more useful caliber possible.
I have a feeling that with the bezel's starring role it did.
Finally, I would only say that, while the price is too high for me to ever consider this model (at least at retail), it's hard to tell what you'll feel about a watch until you strap one on.
I thought the Milgauss GV was not for me. And then I made the mistake of test driving one and fell in love.
All the best,
Tom

March 7th, 2012, 9:00 pm #10

did you read my post?
Would you buy that car?

Yes, I read your post. Did I understand your points fully? Possibly not, But I got the impression that you were very much apologising for the new product.

Basically, that it would be much loved in the Asian market, together with it's use of Tiger Woods as a marketing "Ambassador". Never mind that it is ugly; it is ugly because the Asian market loves "ugly". Never mind that Tiger is a bad boy, because Asia is a bad place and loves bad boys. If that was not your point, I apologise for not being able to understand better.

If indeed the watch is aimed primarily at the Asian market, it would be a better idea to name the watch "Taikonaut". But two fallacies here; firstly, in marketing terms there is no monolithic single market called "Asia". It is nothing more than a geographical term. Asia is more diverse than Europe and perhaps the rest of the world put together in terms of colour, culture, political alignment,religion,languages, etc. and naturally, in taste. So 'One size fits all " is very much a strategy that will end badly.

But despite all it's differences, Asians do subscribe to universal values. Like appreciation for quality and good taste. That is why Hermes and Prada, Porsches and Ferraris, Lobbs and Berluti's are so successful. So throwing ugly things at Asians, will not work. And that is why Omega out images 'you know who' in China..

On your second question, no, I would not buy that car. Here we are in agreement? It feels good when I can agree with you. LOOL..But it reinforces my earlier view, I would not buy the new product , just as I would not buy that car. Nothing to do with vintage.. just that that watch is not cool, and that Asians will not buy! No company succeeds by insulting it's intended customers.