% of previously polished 40-60 year old watches? I say over 95% You?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

% of previously polished 40-60 year old watches? I say over 95% You?

greekbum
VRF Member
greekbum
VRF Member

July 12th, 2012, 2:30 am #1

I am asked by buyers all of the time has the watched been polished? As to say if it has its no good....LOL. I am of the opinion that if a watch has been serviced it has high % odds it was polished in the past. Multiple service marks = higher % it was polished. I have seen very few watches that were rare and desirable that were mint and unpolished in my life BUT I have seen many restored that look new and mint. Now what if the case was restored and looks like new is it still unpolished? LOL Of course not but its a strong case and whats wrong with using this term? Strong case thick lugs etc? This has been discussed before BUT I still see people with restored cases claiming unpolished. I have a random serial Submariner 2 years old in my hands and the owner has had it at the ad 3 times to take scratches out...LOL
The watch below was bought new by me and has been worn most of my adult life. I have polished this watch myself over 100 times since I bought it mostly by hand but even with a dremel sometimes.Its not a bad case but polished many times. I have seen worse and the owner claimed unpolished...LOL.
[/IMG]
Last edited by greekbum on July 12th, 2012, 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

LunetteVerde
VRF Member

July 12th, 2012, 3:44 am #2

The mods have talked about this gazeelions of times of not hyperboling the sales ad but it still happens. Especially for the newbies, greenhorns & noobs - it's difficult for them to tell the difference of such cases.

Steve Mulholland, RC & members commented loosely about this hyperbole on the Facebook VRF page in Apr about a real life case of a buyer who was giving less than proud comments of his watch.

Cheers!

1thunder
VRF Member
1thunder
VRF Member

July 12th, 2012, 10:13 am #3

It is great to see perspective from People in the know! For many of us 1 off annual buyers it is hard.

It amazes me when you see some of these pieces and the bevels look 3 inches thick.....Would it be a good idea to see the back of the watch as most of the time that s a true tell as to whether it has been polished?

Seems for me it is easy to see the how much meat has come off based on the shape.

dcfis
VRF Member
dcfis
VRF Member

July 12th, 2012, 10:29 am #4

I am asked by buyers all of the time has the watched been polished? As to say if it has its no good....LOL. I am of the opinion that if a watch has been serviced it has high % odds it was polished in the past. Multiple service marks = higher % it was polished. I have seen very few watches that were rare and desirable that were mint and unpolished in my life BUT I have seen many restored that look new and mint. Now what if the case was restored and looks like new is it still unpolished? LOL Of course not but its a strong case and whats wrong with using this term? Strong case thick lugs etc? This has been discussed before BUT I still see people with restored cases claiming unpolished. I have a random serial Submariner 2 years old in my hands and the owner has had it at the ad 3 times to take scratches out...LOL
The watch below was bought new by me and has been worn most of my adult life. I have polished this watch myself over 100 times since I bought it mostly by hand but even with a dremel sometimes.Its not a bad case but polished many times. I have seen worse and the owner claimed unpolished...LOL.
[/IMG]
Allthis hooey about polishing ect doesn't mean much to meas long as the watch is nice and I like it. Too many people spend Way too much time on this. One thing though, what is a restored case? I don't know about that,are people doing something to squeeze more money out of unsuspecting buyers?

poormans
VRF Member
poormans
VRF Member

July 12th, 2012, 11:55 am #5

but they cand to magic if the luggs are worn and holes are wide they stay that way no matter how its done

but if a case is good they can bring it back close to mint but the cases i have seen where that has been done still lacks the crisp feeling of a untouched case speclially around the luggholes and on the caseback

cheers
christian

figcar
VRF Member
figcar
VRF Member

July 12th, 2012, 4:10 pm #6

[/IMG]
soft Rolex cloth. It doesn't look any smaller afterwards. If polishing a steel car doesn't hurt it, I can't see polishing a steel watch doing any damage.

John Ireland

seve1939
VRF Member
seve1939
VRF Member

July 12th, 2012, 7:35 pm #7