Not a Kodak, not a chocolate - but still a Brownie - GMT PCG from 1960.

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Not a Kodak, not a chocolate - but still a Brownie - GMT PCG from 1960.

August 4th, 2012, 3:42 pm #1

Just picked up this old fella, and thought I'd share.

1960 pointed crown guard 1675 GMT with a Gilt dial that has started to turn a nice shade of brown.

Generally lovely condition for a 52 year old.

Unfortunately a tiny bit of damage at the feet points on the dial. Doesn't really detract from the watches great appearance (in my humble opinion)

Came with two inserts - I'm not sure which one should stay on the watch - Any thoughts ?

August 4th, 2012, 4:14 pm #2

cleaner insert, but it's a matter of preference. Suggest getting the rust inside of the case removed--as much as possible---enjoy. BTY a very nice bracelet also.
Last edited by seve1939 on August 4th, 2012, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 4th, 2012, 6:29 pm #3

1960 pointed crown guard 1675 GMT with a Gilt dial that has started to turn a nice shade of brown.

Unfortunately a tiny bit of damage at the feet points on the dial. Doesn't really detract from the watches great appearance (in my humble opinion)

Came with two inserts - I'm not sure which one should stay on the watch - Any thoughts ?

A great find! The beauty is that you can swap the bezel inserts whenever you want, for the look of your choice...

Wear it in good health.

Ron

August 4th, 2012, 9:03 pm #4

Ya just can't beat a gilt dial once it's taken on a brown hue - spendid.

The fresher insert works for me too.

August 5th, 2012, 1:17 am #5

The newer insert on that beautiful watch.

August 5th, 2012, 2:22 am #6

I think the newer insert fits the beautiful condition of the watch.

August 5th, 2012, 7:20 am #7

take off both inlays and try to source a time-matching super fat font inlay from early 60ies. This would look much better on your ICE watch.

August 5th, 2012, 12:05 pm #8

keep the old insert. take out the new bezelinsert, put the bezelinsert on your electric stove, numerals up and heat with 3/4 of your max. power for around 1 minute. until the red and blue change colour and it will match somewhat the red on your 24 hour hand.... up to 1,5 minutes should do the trick. sounds weird, but works a treat. and show your result, please. kind regards. achim

Ken. Gill
Ken. Gill

August 7th, 2012, 9:48 am #9

May I ask the first three numbers of the serial no. as I am trying to accurately date to the specific qtr.mine which looks the same, (I do not have the tools to open the case back). Would you believe the my local watch shop advertising servicing of Rolex gave me an insurance valuation with a date of manufacture of 1980. And my one is a PGC , I think they mixed up my 621k serial number with a 6.21m serial number!!.
Thank you,
Ken.
PS I think the newer insert looks better.

August 9th, 2012, 9:29 am #10

Hi,

Whilst pretty worn, the serial number is just readable as 622***.

It looks like your local AD has made a mistake, although I have heard of later watch case crown guards being 're-modelled', however I think this is pretty rare.

I assume your dial is marked as 'Swiss' only.