Need to ask for a little help...

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Need to ask for a little help...

June 11th, 2012, 1:15 am #1

I have been waiting for the "right" opportunity to join the vintage crowd.

As a vintage newbie here i'd appreciate knowing what this august group thinks:
Appears to be a 5513 (bezel turns smoothly in both directions), but 4-line dial seems unusual.
Plastic crystal is slightly domed
Hands are different color than the nicely patina'd dial. I'm guessing they are luminova replacements, but not completely sure.
The pearl is kind of square (really a disc shape) I think this must also be a replacement.
Bracelet is not folded link, but felt much lighter than my sea dweller

Case has certainly been polished, and no box or papers are available.

So, without discussing price, is this "run away as fast as you can", grab it now, or something in between?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

regards,
greg

June 11th, 2012, 2:00 am #2

Welcome to the forum.  From pictures ... Looks like a late 60's early 70's 5512 dial, service replacement insert, lumina replacement hands.  Possibly crown replaced at a service (depends on year/serial number).  Check between the lugs for serial number an model number.   From the low quality pictures the watch looks fine, but a closer look should be made. Good luck.  

June 11th, 2012, 2:17 am #3

Thank you cavediver. The luminova replacement hands are bothersome.
greg

June 11th, 2012, 2:42 am #4

The dial is nice and the watch looks great overall

June 11th, 2012, 4:29 am #5

Thank you cavediver. The luminova replacement hands are bothersome.
greg
why would you find the replacement hands bothersome if the replacement dial doesn't bother you? I would be more concerned about the replacement dial.

That said, sometimes when these come your way for a fair price, they are good to have for daily wear (can't hurt 'em) and for trade (it is always money on your wrist). The right time comes, you can sell it, add cash and get a correct one.

Good luck.

francois
francois

June 11th, 2012, 8:49 am #6

Appears to be a 5513 (bezel turns smoothly in both directions), but 4-line dial seems unusual.
Hands are different color than the nicely patina'd dial. I'm guessing they are luminova replacements, but not completely sure.
The pearl is kind of square (really a disc shape) I think this must also be a replacement.

So, without discussing price, is this "run away as fast as you can", grab it now, or something in between?

regards,
greg
for me buy a other one.... the crown guard are realy over polished.... for a 5513 the dial don't match...find a good 5513 markI for me is the best

June 11th, 2012, 1:28 pm #7

regards,
greg
nt

June 11th, 2012, 3:08 pm #8

regards,
greg
With the over polished case, wrong dial, and luminova hands.

June 11th, 2012, 8:01 pm #9

I'm not sure if it is a 5512 or 5513. I was guessing 5513 because the bezel rotates both ways (maybe true of 5512 as well?). The dealer did not remove the bracelet (I certainly will ask him to confirm if I decide to pursue this one).

Soooo... If it is a 5512, does this mean it it a replacement dial? or could it be original?

Thank you all for the insight.

greg

June 11th, 2012, 9:26 pm #10

If possible, get the serial no. Off the case. Get the model no. Off the case. If seller kind and opens the case, verify movement cal.