Need opinions on 1675............

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Need opinions on 1675............

November 23rd, 2011, 4:02 am #1

I have a trusted friend who trades and sells late model rolex's primarily on a face-to-face basis by referral. He keeps an inventory of ~50 watches and rarely takes vintage models for trade. Recently he acquired an attractive 1675 on trade from the original owner and after holding it in inventory for a while decided to list the watch on the "bay", which is also out of his comfort zone. long story short, his listing drew a lot of attention and was flamed by several experienced vintage traders over production date vs.dial variant, hands, case and accessories and pulled the watch from the "bay" after the sale expired. Knowing my new found lust:) for vintage models he made me a great offer on the watch and invited me to check it out.

I was able to take several pics tonight and would like serious comments about the watch without offering my amateur bias. Also, I am a buyer have never sold or intend to sell my much loved Rolex's, so adding value in hopes of a return is not my goal. I simply am wanting a nice vintage GMT "Pepsi" to wear and love. I will be sacraficing modern piece from my collection in a trade I consider equitable.

All coments are welcome....please critique!!

The watch>>>>>>

[/IMG]

Between the lugs>>>>>

[/IMG]

The case-back>>>>>>

[/IMG]

The Movement>>>>>>

[/IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Michael

November 23rd, 2011, 4:53 am #2

The dial is most likely a replacement if it is indeed matte with white letters, as a 1675 from that era should be sporting a gloss finish gilt letter dial. The small 24 hour hand is correct, as are the hands and date wheel, IMO.

Others may offer a more educated and intelligent assessment but this is my best guess.

Ron

November 23rd, 2011, 5:42 am #3

I have a trusted friend who trades and sells late model rolex's primarily on a face-to-face basis by referral. He keeps an inventory of ~50 watches and rarely takes vintage models for trade. Recently he acquired an attractive 1675 on trade from the original owner and after holding it in inventory for a while decided to list the watch on the "bay", which is also out of his comfort zone. long story short, his listing drew a lot of attention and was flamed by several experienced vintage traders over production date vs.dial variant, hands, case and accessories and pulled the watch from the "bay" after the sale expired. Knowing my new found lust:) for vintage models he made me a great offer on the watch and invited me to check it out.

I was able to take several pics tonight and would like serious comments about the watch without offering my amateur bias. Also, I am a buyer have never sold or intend to sell my much loved Rolex's, so adding value in hopes of a return is not my goal. I simply am wanting a nice vintage GMT "Pepsi" to wear and love. I will be sacraficing modern piece from my collection in a trade I consider equitable.

The watch>>>>>>

[/IMG]

Between the lugs>>>>>

[/IMG]

The case-back>>>>>>

[/IMG]

The Movement>>>>>>

[/IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Michael
Incorrect dial, that dial is a early 70's replacement, and is losing tritium. Over polished, no chamfers. The serial number is period correct for the date on the case back, but something about that "8" bugs me.

November 23rd, 2011, 2:16 pm #4

The watch>>>>>>

[/IMG]

Between the lugs>>>>>

[/IMG]

The case-back>>>>>>

[/IMG]

The Movement>>>>>>

[/IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Michael
Err...n it's NOT what Orchi is accustomed to seeing...
such a GMT Dial...

It's very "unusual"...
to say the least...

Perhaps Buddy Tomvox1 or Buddy Marco di Falco or others...
could chip in to shed some light onto this Dial...

Best regards
Orchi.
Last edited by orchi on November 23rd, 2011, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 23rd, 2011, 2:28 pm #5

Incorrect dial, that dial is a early 70's replacement, and is losing tritium. Over polished, no chamfers. The serial number is period correct for the date on the case back, but something about that "8" bugs me.
The watch comes with a 1972 USA riveted bracelet which IMO was likely changed at the same time as the dial in the mid 1970's. The 8 is crazy though..some of the other engraved text concerns me as well. I will post better pics of the lugs and case later today as the lugs are quite nice.

Thanks for the comments.

November 23rd, 2011, 2:29 pm #6

Best regards
Orchi.
Last edited by orchi on November 23rd, 2011, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 23rd, 2011, 2:54 pm #7

Err...n it's NOT what Orchi is accustomed to seeing...
such a GMT Dial...

It's very "unusual"...
to say the least...

Perhaps Buddy Tomvox1 or Buddy Marco di Falco or others...
could chip in to shed some light onto this Dial...

Best regards
Orchi.
There is a small flake of tritium in the R on Perpetual that distorts it a bit, but with a loop the dial printing looks good.

[/IMG]

Owner's scan of dial.

[/IMG]

Thanks Orchi!

November 23rd, 2011, 3:07 pm #8

Best regards
Orchi.
Last edited by orchi on November 23rd, 2011, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 23rd, 2011, 3:23 pm #9

[/IMG]

November 23rd, 2011, 6:14 pm #10

That 8 on the 1mill serial number looks to me like a 3 that has been crudely "hand" engraved to look like an 8, why would anyone do that?