My 'new' and most precious GRAIL-watch!!! join....

Vintage Rolex Discussion

My 'new' and most precious GRAIL-watch!!! join....

January 3rd, 2012, 8:44 am #1

Dear friends,... i have been quite as i am mostly hold up in business lately.
But also because i did not buy a lot of watches the last month.

But i just got a 'new' grail for X-Mas.

But before i go into that i want to tell you a little story.

Years ago... there was the Dutch Rockstar and painter Herman Brood. He was working hard to achive his goal of becoming famous Making songs. Which a couple did great. Like the song 'Saturday Night'. Which became a hit for him.

He and his band got gigg after gigg... bigger... wider.... and one day they finally achived their goal.

A big gigg in the USA which might bring them worldwide fame and stardum.

And just before the big event. The band was ready to get on stage... Herman was gone. Nowhere to be found.
The bandmembers went out searching.....

And they found him eventually. Outside in the dark.... on a bridge.
Scared... in a bad state.... and the band asked him... what is wrong. Why are you gone. We are at this moment of faith... ausience is waiting...

And Herman said:

>>> WHY IS BIG ALWAYS BETTER ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Words i thought more off this year. More watches? More cars? Bigger cars ? Bigger houses... more Lanvin's... etc... etc.
More 47 mm ugly watches LOOL

Herman killed hiself a couple of years ago. Jumped off the Hilton Hotel... but hey....

Why is big always better ?

Why is expansive always better?

I have seen so many 'grails' and had the great priveledge to own some them. STill enjoying them.
But why is expansive always better???

I left that road..... a watch has to have the special feeling to me... more and more.
No matter which reference... or better... let's stop buying watches to rise in the picking order of watch fanatics...

So here is my new grail. My most precious watch!!!

Given to me for X-Mas..... by my father. Nothing fancy. But his watch since my youth.

A watch that was always magic to me. When i was a kid my dad was wearing it.
But later when i was about 10-18 years... this watch was in a drawer at home. Scratched plexi.. not running... strap broken. I always took it and gave it a spin. It was a magic drawer with all kind of stuff like old sunglasses and pocket knifes. So you imagine it was a magnet for me when i was a kid.

The watch was forgotten by my dad... and i was trying to wear it somehow when i was about 16-17 ... and wanted it to wear it at school. But it did not work proper. So i bought a Tag Heuer Formula 1 when i was on a holiday at Lake Gemeva and forgot about it. It stayed in the drawer for years.... i started collecting furniture and fountain pens....

ANd when i started collecting watches about 5 years ago... i remembered my dad's old Heuer.
And YES there it was still in the drawer at my parents house.

I took it to a watchmaker.. had it restored (plexi and movement) and put a nice strap on.

And i gave it to my dad as a present. To have him wear his old watch again. My dad who had been wearing it for years on business travels all over the world. Tennis.. etc. A guy who does not care about status, money or showing any kind of expansive goods. But he was very happy wear the watch again.

He has been wearing it for years now.

This X-Mas he gave me the watch to have it in his memory for the future. ANd to enjoy it... and remember all the great moments together in the past.

A simple watch..... 70th style!

Heuer Camaro...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Why is expansive always better ?

For me this is my most precious grail. Value has many faces.

I AM SURE YOU ALSO HAVE THOSE STORIES!!!

PLEASE TELL THEM! SHOW US YOUR PERSONAL GRAILS.... AND TELL US YOUR STORY!

Happy New Year guy's!
Last edited by bullibeer on January 3rd, 2012, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 3rd, 2012, 9:24 am #2

I love vintage Heuer...your Camaro It's very very nice )

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

January 3rd, 2012, 9:28 am #3

Years ago... there was the Dutch Rockstar and painter Herman Brood. He was working hard to achive his goal of becoming famous Making songs. Which a couple did great. Like the song 'Saturday Night'. Which became a hit for him.

He and his band got gigg after gigg... bigger... wider.... and one day they finally achived their goal.

And just before the big event. The band was ready to get on stage... Herman was gone. Nowhere to be found.

Scared... in a bad state.... and the band asked him... what is wrong. Why are you gone. We are at this moment of faith... ausience is waiting...

And Herman said:

Words i thought more off this year. More watches? More cars? Bigger cars ? Bigger houses... more Lanvin's... etc... etc.

Herman killed hiself a couple of years ago. Jumped off the Hilton Hotel... but hey....

I have seen so many 'grails' and had the great priveledge to own some them. STill enjoying them.

I left that road..... a watch has to have the special feeling to me... more and more.
No matter which reference... or better... let's stop buying watches to rise in the picking order of watch fanatics...

Given to me for X-Mas..... by my father. Nothing fancy. But his watch since my youth.

But later when i was about 10-18 years... this watch was in a drawer at home. Scratched plexi.. not running... strap broken. I always took it and gave it a spin. It was a magic drawer with all kind of stuff like old sunglasses and pocket knifes. So you imagine it was a magnet for me when i was a kid.

The watch was forgotten by my dad... and i was trying to wear it somehow when i was about 16-17 ... and wanted it to wear it at school. But it did not work proper. So i bought a Tag Heuer Formula 1 when i was on a holiday at Lake Gemeva and forgot about it. It stayed in the drawer for years.... i started collecting furniture and fountain pens....

ANd when i started collecting watches about 5 years ago... i remembered my dad's old Heuer.

I took it to a watchmaker.. had it restored (plexi and movement) and put a nice strap on.

And i gave it to my dad as a present. To have him wear his old watch again. My dad who had been wearing it for years on business travels all over the world. Tennis.. etc. A guy who does not care about status, money or showing any kind of expansive goods. But he was very happy wear the watch again.

This X-Mas he gave me the watch to have it in his memory for the future. ANd to enjoy it... and remember all the great moments together in the past.

Heuer Camaro...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Happy New Year guy's!
Unfortunately my parents never cared about watches - my father collected cars. But even there he gave away all classics without even asking me if I would be interested to buy my first car after having my license which later became the car for my wedding...

Returning to the watches - when everyone favoured chronographs I preferred plain simple dials which are far from being overloaded, the Ex1. When everyone concentrated on 50s to 80s I collected Rolex pocket watches and older wristwatches, the pre50s.

Besides the fact that my funds were not permitting to jump on the high priced watches as I still have to complete the restoration of my classic italian car I just like to follow my own tracks in collecting instead of being part of any group creating or following a "trend"

Currently I'm in the consolidation phase and try to find out which watches I should keep while reducing the quantity by 2/3...
As with the rest of my life I want to go more for minimalism. Keeping less but the more important ones - important in regards of emotions.

Bye,
Derk

January 3rd, 2012, 9:50 am #4

And Herman said:

Heuer Camaro...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Happy New Year guy's!
Great story ! Thnx for sharing (nt.)

January 3rd, 2012, 9:58 am #5

And Herman said:

Heuer Camaro...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Happy New Year guy's!
Great story

Somethings are totally priceless such as your dads watch. Wear it in the very best of health

January 3rd, 2012, 9:58 am #6

And Herman said:

Heuer Camaro...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Happy New Year guy's!
your dad sounds like a nice fella......mine sold the redsub he bought on my birth to buy himself a new hang glider...then crashed it:(

January 3rd, 2012, 11:36 am #7

And Herman said:

Heuer Camaro...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Happy New Year guy's!
my father died 4 weeks ago; aged 93. he was a doctor in germany. he was drafted straight from the UNI to North africa in WW 2. he was one of commander Rommel´s doctors. and he was a gliding pilot with all certificates. during the north african war he used to fly in medical supplies with a glider at night over the british lines. and he was issued a tutima WW2 chronograph. when i started to collect watches in the 80´s, i bought a very nice tutima WW2 chronograph and gave it to him for old times sake.he was so astounded and loved it all these years. now i have it back and i´m honoured, that he wore it the last 23 years. so that will be a very special watch for me. not overly expensive; not overly famous and pretty. but maybe my grail watch now. kind regards from down under. achim

January 3rd, 2012, 11:42 am #8

And Herman said:

Heuer Camaro...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Happy New Year guy's!
Great story Bernard, you're completely right, the most expensive watches are not always the nicest.

Enjoy the Heuer and keep it well for your son.

Happy Newyear.

D

January 3rd, 2012, 11:49 am #9

And Herman said:

Heuer Camaro...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Happy New Year guy's!
I'm not sure 'grail' is the right term for this watch, since it implies that I've been searching for it. But it's unquestionably one that I'll always have a strong attachment to.

It's story goes something like this:

My Grandfather was a solicitor in Germany before WW2. He was politically active and became an outspoken critic of the Nazi party. As his activism against the Nazis became more frequent, so did the threats. Until one day he received a tip off; he was about to be arrested and he should flee, with his family, now.

His family left their family home there and then, not to return until after the Berlin Wall came down some 50 years later. The Nazis arrived just 20 minutes later.

They sailed for England and arrived with my Grandmother, my uncle and my father to set up a new life in London in 1937.

His business career in ruins, he began working for the BBC after war broke out as a correspondent broadcasting to the German speaking world. Later, he returned to Central Europe and guided POW's across the Alps, which he knew well, into Switzerland. During this time he came across many harrowing cases of neglected and abandoned children.

Which is possibly why, after the war, he helped to set up two 'villages'; one in Switzerland and one in the South East of England to provide an education to some of the children orphaned by the war. They were known as Pestalozzi villages. Certainly the one in the South east of England is still going as an international children's charity. When he died, aged 91, many of the orphaned children came with their own families to his funeral.

In 1947 he was presented with a gold watch by Eterna in gratitude to his work with these orphaned children.

After he died, it was passed to my father, who in turn gave it to me.

When I received it, it was working but clearly needed a little love and attention, and so I had the movement serviced by Stephan Hale. the message I received back was that it was unlikely that the back had ever been taken off and the movement was pristine. Furthermore, it housed an in house Eterna movement.

It's one watch of only two watches I have that could never sell. Although I'm embarrassed to say, I'm now the 3rd generation of owners who doesn't wear it.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

January 3rd, 2012, 11:54 am #10

my father died 4 weeks ago; aged 93. he was a doctor in germany. he was drafted straight from the UNI to North africa in WW 2. he was one of commander Rommel´s doctors. and he was a gliding pilot with all certificates. during the north african war he used to fly in medical supplies with a glider at night over the british lines. and he was issued a tutima WW2 chronograph. when i started to collect watches in the 80´s, i bought a very nice tutima WW2 chronograph and gave it to him for old times sake.he was so astounded and loved it all these years. now i have it back and i´m honoured, that he wore it the last 23 years. so that will be a very special watch for me. not overly expensive; not overly famous and pretty. but maybe my grail watch now. kind regards from down under. achim
Thanks for the compliments and posting your great stories!!!

Happy how some thinks can bond!

Enjoy your treasures!

B