My 5508 back after a sympathetic restoration...

Vintage Rolex Discussion

My 5508 back after a sympathetic restoration...

unionspecial
VRF Member
unionspecial
VRF Member

May 2nd, 2012, 2:06 am #1

Hi VRF-

I just wanted to post a few pics of my 5508 That just came back today from Bob Ridley. The watch wasn't mint, and I wanted to keep it close to the condition I purchased it in. The service included a movement overhaul, the replacement of the tube and crown with NOS parts, a very gentle case polish without removing the dings and deep scratches, the cleaning of the hands, some touch up on the white paint on the center of the seconds hand, and the replacement of some missing lume on the minute hand. I also replaced the bezel with an original alloy bezel so I no longer had to glue the insert down, and replaced the service crystal with a NOS tropic 16 dome crystal. As usual Bob did an amazing job, and I am really thrilled to be wearing this watch again, I love it!
Sorry for the crappy I-phone pics, I have horrible light.

on a C+I bracelet

nice warm yellow radium color

top of lugs very lightly re-brushed

my 2 favorite watches right now

group shot with some of my others

-Glenn m

figcar
VRF Member
figcar
VRF Member

May 2nd, 2012, 5:16 am #2

nt

John Ireland

May 2nd, 2012, 8:11 am #3

And I am only a novice when it comes to vintage watches.

But the work carried out by Mr Ridley is the sign of a true craftsmanship.

Regards

Tony

unionspecial
VRF Member
unionspecial
VRF Member

May 2nd, 2012, 1:09 pm #4

nt

John Ireland
Thanks! Very happy with the results! NT.

May 2nd, 2012, 2:25 pm #5

Hi VRF-

I just wanted to post a few pics of my 5508 That just came back today from Bob Ridley. The watch wasn't mint, and I wanted to keep it close to the condition I purchased it in. The service included a movement overhaul, the replacement of the tube and crown with NOS parts, a very gentle case polish without removing the dings and deep scratches, the cleaning of the hands, some touch up on the white paint on the center of the seconds hand, and the replacement of some missing lume on the minute hand. I also replaced the bezel with an original alloy bezel so I no longer had to glue the insert down, and replaced the service crystal with a NOS tropic 16 dome crystal. As usual Bob did an amazing job, and I am really thrilled to be wearing this watch again, I love it!

on a C+I bracelet

-Glenn m
Very nice watch

What is the market price of a 5508 (if that is OK to ask in the forum)?

I am mostly familiar with the 5513 and newer models.

br
Frederik

unionspecial
VRF Member
unionspecial
VRF Member

May 2nd, 2012, 3:57 pm #6

In terms of price, I had been looking for a 6536/1 or 5508 for a bit and during my search I have seen prices ranging from total projects for around 5K USD, to near mint and original examples for up to 25K USD. Like everything, it all depends on the condition and originality. I came in somewhere in the middle there with the extra work and parts put in. I don't mind a project, as long as the main parts are good. On this watch, It was important for me to find an example with the original hands. Most of the 5508 / 6536-1s I see for sale have newer handsets. The newer and shorter minute hands bother me, so I waited until I found one with the correct hands, and the white seconds hand was a bonus!. These hands needed a little bit of work, but they look great now. I also wanted a watch with the original gilt / radium dial. This one isn't mint and has some lume flaking, but has a good honest look to it and is original to the watch. I'd love to eventually find a better insert for this as well.
Best,
Glenn

mauiguy
VRF Member
mauiguy
VRF Member

May 2nd, 2012, 5:00 pm #7

Hi VRF-

on a C+I bracelet

-Glenn m
I wouldn't mind adding one to my collection some day, but ones in really good shape like yours are getting hard to come by!

Aloha!

-G

florianw
VRF Member
florianw
VRF Member

May 2nd, 2012, 5:39 pm #8

Hi VRF-

on a C+I bracelet

-Glenn m
Wonderful piece, Glenn. Big congrats!

May 2nd, 2012, 6:11 pm #9

In terms of price, I had been looking for a 6536/1 or 5508 for a bit and during my search I have seen prices ranging from total projects for around 5K USD, to near mint and original examples for up to 25K USD. Like everything, it all depends on the condition and originality. I came in somewhere in the middle there with the extra work and parts put in. I don't mind a project, as long as the main parts are good. On this watch, It was important for me to find an example with the original hands. Most of the 5508 / 6536-1s I see for sale have newer handsets. The newer and shorter minute hands bother me, so I waited until I found one with the correct hands, and the white seconds hand was a bonus!. These hands needed a little bit of work, but they look great now. I also wanted a watch with the original gilt / radium dial. This one isn't mint and has some lume flaking, but has a good honest look to it and is original to the watch. I'd love to eventually find a better insert for this as well.
Best,
Glenn
Hello Glenn

Thanks a lot for the detailed answer

You are very lucky owning this watch.

In general is the 6536 more expensive than the 5508, right?

Is the 6536 what is called "big crown" (sorry for the newbie questions)?

Have a nice day!

br
Frederik

unionspecial
VRF Member
unionspecial
VRF Member

May 2nd, 2012, 6:54 pm #10

Wonderful piece, Glenn. Big congrats!
Thanks guys! And thanks again for the book florian! NT