Moving into the gold Rolex

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Moving into the gold Rolex

jan_j
VRF Member
jan_j
VRF Member

May 1st, 2012, 11:23 am #1

Now as I'm starting to look more and more into the world of gold watches from Rolex, I have the same thoughts as when looking at more normal sports models.

In the start I just looked at the classic Rolex Day Date - with president bracelet and the clean yellow dial with baton indicators.

Let me tell you - that was the start for an hunt that are still ongoing. First I looked after these version of the day date, then I started looking at dials with roman numerals on, then on gold date-just and then again on day date with dark color dial.
The I started looking at different model version 18038 or 18238, and then again should it be watch only or complete set.
  • Model : Day Date - Date-Just are nice but I have a little history on the day date - I never thought I would own this watch - so getting it would be proving me wrong </li>
  • Version : Model 1803 - I think I can live with the 1803 version - classic - no need for quick-set of the day.</li>
  • Dial : Gold dial with baton index - Simple but classic - I think that will be the model - but the dark dial has not left me </li>
  • Bracelet : President - what else </li>
  • Condition : Nice - not to polished, as original as possible </li>
  • Box/Papers: Nice - but not mandatory - not a deal breaker</li>
  • Safe Queen: NOT - none of my watches are safe queens - NOT and NEVER</li>
Well the hunt is still ongoing - what will I find, what will I land....
BUT the risk is there that I will start to look at my grail gold watch - the gold rolex sub 16808 -

I will let you know

/Jan J

Jan J

Volecs
VRF Member
Volecs
VRF Member

May 1st, 2012, 1:14 pm #2

Go big,dont stop half way....

figcar
VRF Member
figcar
VRF Member

May 1st, 2012, 5:21 pm #3

Now as I'm starting to look more and more into the world of gold watches from Rolex, I have the same thoughts as when looking at more normal sports models.

In the start I just looked at the classic Rolex Day Date - with president bracelet and the clean yellow dial with baton indicators.

Let me tell you - that was the start for an hunt that are still ongoing. First I looked after these version of the day date, then I started looking at dials with roman numerals on, then on gold date-just and then again on day date with dark color dial.
The I started looking at different model version 18038 or 18238, and then again should it be watch only or complete set.
  • Model : Day Date - Date-Just are nice but I have a little history on the day date - I never thought I would own this watch - so getting it would be proving me wrong </li>
  • Version : Model 1803 - I think I can live with the 1803 version - classic - no need for quick-set of the day.</li>
  • Dial : Gold dial with baton index - Simple but classic - I think that will be the model - but the dark dial has not left me </li>
BUT the risk is there that I will start to look at my grail gold watch - the gold rolex sub 16808 -

I will let you know

/Jan J

Jan J
Don't get stuck trying to find a watch with a bracelet...if you see a head only and it meets all your wants, grab it. The bracelet can be dealt with seperately...and don't overlook a Jubilee, which was the original bracelet for DD's. The president bracelet came later as a option and then after that as the standard bracelet for the watch. I've always felt that the jubilee was the modern version of the beads of rice...made for the larger watches.

All that said...a leather strap is a stunning way to wear any gold Rolex...it actually makes the head stand out more, while not becoming "too gold" or "too blingy" which many find the bracelet to be.

Enjoy the hunt.

John Ireland

Mehall
VRF Member
Mehall
VRF Member

May 1st, 2012, 8:27 pm #4

I will let you know

/Jan J

Jan J
If you got Day-Date, then go 180X. Nothing beats the pie-pan dial!

Michael M.

jan_j
VRF Member
jan_j
VRF Member

May 2nd, 2012, 11:39 am #5

Photo of pie-pan dial please

Jan J