More Tudor help please...

Vintage Rolex Discussion

More Tudor help please...

May 25th, 2012, 8:41 am #1

Hi,

I have come accross this Tudor Sub 7016/0 on the bay. It has a iv68 caseback and a 17J 2483 movement. I know of at least three 7016 dial variants? I have another 7016/0 with the small rose dial, merc hands and gilt minute markers. I am interested in collecting all if possible. Grateful for you input. Sticking my neck on the line, it looks all good to me. I stand to be corrected. Look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Paul.

May 25th, 2012, 7:18 pm #2

Hi Paul and all ... I'm the farthest thing from knowledgeable ... but I think I see something about the hour hand on your photo that looks different than others that I've seen.

I look at the thickness of the "Y" arms, and especially at the junction of the lower arm of the "Y" and the straight segment of the hour hand leading to the pinion. I've seen these "Y" arms as wide as the interior lume channel in the stub, and I've seen them narrower.

Your hand appears to me to be on the skinnier side of any I've seen. Different obviously can mean many things.

I'd welcome other eyes and comments! Is this a "tell" or just a detail of different generations or manufacturers of the OEM hands?

---
-Ez

A 7928:

An older 7928:

Rolex 5512 (apologies if this is someone's image ... I'm not sure where it originated):

May 25th, 2012, 8:47 pm #3

Hi,

I have come accross this Tudor Sub 7016/0 on the bay. It has a iv68 caseback and a 17J 2483 movement. I know of at least three 7016 dial variants? I have another 7016/0 with the small rose dial, merc hands and gilt minute markers. I am interested in collecting all if possible. Grateful for you input. Sticking my neck on the line, it looks all good to me. I stand to be corrected. Look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Paul.

it should have the small rose dial you mentioned. the present dial has been exchanged a long time ago during service.

anyway, the case looks really nice on this one.

i prefer the snowflake version with SWISS only dial, like my 7016/0 from 1970:

May 25th, 2012, 11:29 pm #4

I saw an original Tudor catalogues from a 7928 with a shield dial. We all know that the production of 7928 stopped arround 1968 when the 7016 was revealed.

So yes it could be a transitional dial, some rose, some shield and then snowflake.

May 25th, 2012, 11:40 pm #5

[/IMG]

May 26th, 2012, 8:08 am #6

I saw an original Tudor catalogues from a 7928 with a shield dial. We all know that the production of 7928 stopped arround 1968 when the 7016 was revealed.

So yes it could be a transitional dial, some rose, some shield and then snowflake.
introduced to the no date sub 7016?

the brother with date ref. 7021 came in 68 with snowflake dial.

May 27th, 2012, 3:29 pm #7

Hi,

Cheers

Paul.

I have a 1.68 case back 62xxxx serial that supposedly was from "original owner" which came in the
"original" box.

Seeing so many variations of this particular watch during such a short time span has always kept me a
bit skeptical as to what is "correct".

Mine also came on a period Tropic strap with no signs of ever having a metal bracelet.

On a side note: I always thought the bevel on the edges of my case were extreme, even though the watch
basically looked NOS. However I just noticed that the 7016 in the brochure at the end of this post also shows the
same exagerated case bevel.
Have other collectors also noticed that the case bevel on their 7016 is more extreme than say a 5513 from the same time period?

Here is a photo of mine.

David

May 27th, 2012, 6:44 pm #8

Hi Paul and all ... I'm the farthest thing from knowledgeable ... but I think I see something about the hour hand on your photo that looks different than others that I've seen.

I look at the thickness of the "Y" arms, and especially at the junction of the lower arm of the "Y" and the straight segment of the hour hand leading to the pinion. I've seen these "Y" arms as wide as the interior lume channel in the stub, and I've seen them narrower.

Your hand appears to me to be on the skinnier side of any I've seen. Different obviously can mean many things.

I'd welcome other eyes and comments! Is this a "tell" or just a detail of different generations or manufacturers of the OEM hands?

---
-Ez

A 7928:

An older 7928:

Rolex 5512 (apologies if this is someone's image ... I'm not sure where it originated):

Another area for me to consider. I did not realise that the hour hand could be so different.

Regards

Paul.

May 27th, 2012, 6:47 pm #9

I appreciate your input. This is what it is all about, learning from the combined knowledge.

Many thanks

Paul.

May 27th, 2012, 6:53 pm #10

I have a 1.68 case back 62xxxx serial that supposedly was from "original owner" which came in the
"original" box.

Seeing so many variations of this particular watch during such a short time span has always kept me a
bit skeptical as to what is "correct".

Mine also came on a period Tropic strap with no signs of ever having a metal bracelet.

On a side note: I always thought the bevel on the edges of my case were extreme, even though the watch
basically looked NOS. However I just noticed that the 7016 in the brochure at the end of this post also shows the
same exagerated case bevel.
Have other collectors also noticed that the case bevel on their 7016 is more extreme than say a 5513 from the same time period?

Here is a photo of mine.

David

like the image I put up in the original post (top pic below) has the remnants of a pretty wide bevel, whereas my 7016/0 from i68 with the gilt minute track has been polished to oblivion ( I still love it).

Paul