More Geneva Watch Auction news....Rajendra Prasad's Rolex cloisonné map of India...

Vintage Rolex Discussion

More Geneva Watch Auction news....Rajendra Prasad's Rolex cloisonné map of India...

October 13th, 2011, 10:57 am #1

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-1 ... eneva.html

Sothebys (BID) will auction Rolex wristwatches that belonged to Konrad Adenauer, the first chancellor of West Germany, and Rajendra Prasad, the first president of India, next month.
Sothebys is offering more than 270 lots estimated to be worth more than 8 million Swiss francs ($8.9 million) in its Nov. 13 watch auction in Geneva, the auctioneer said in an e- mailed statement today.

Prasads 18 karat pink gold Oyster has a face thats decorated with the map of India. The estimate is $222,000 to $444,000. The sale also includes a French watch made about 1574, timepieces for Chinese buyers in the 18th and 19th centuries, and watches for the Ottoman and Spanish markets. Sothebys will also auction a one-of-a-kind Patek Philippe reference 1518 chronograph with a so-called perpetual calendar that adjusts for leap years. That watch is estimated at $890,000 to $1.33 million, Sothebys said.

Rg.Philipp

October 13th, 2011, 11:11 am #2

October 13th, 2011, 3:48 pm #3

Sothebys (BID) will auction Rolex wristwatches that belonged to Konrad Adenauer, the first chancellor of West Germany, and Rajendra Prasad, the first president of India, next month.
Sothebys is offering more than 270 lots estimated to be worth more than 8 million Swiss francs ($8.9 million) in its Nov. 13 watch auction in Geneva, the auctioneer said in an e- mailed statement today.

Prasads 18 karat pink gold Oyster has a face thats decorated with the map of India. The estimate is $222,000 to $444,000. The sale also includes a French watch made about 1574, timepieces for Chinese buyers in the 18th and 19th centuries, and watches for the Ottoman and Spanish markets. Sothebys will also auction a one-of-a-kind Patek Philippe reference 1518 chronograph with a so-called perpetual calendar that adjusts for leap years. That watch is estimated at $890,000 to $1.33 million, Sothebys said.

Rg.Philipp
the people of India. It would be nice if it stays in that country. It would be nice if I get to visit there in this lifetime.

John Ireland

October 13th, 2011, 4:48 pm #4

Rg.Philipp
Does any body else wonder why a house like this can't manage to get a bezel positioned properly for a photograph of such an important watch?

I mean...really...

I'd love to have it.

I'd wear it each time I go there

I'd take it and show Mannish!

TT

October 13th, 2011, 6:46 pm #5

Rg.Philipp
and...if that is pink gold I'll eat it. That's the most yellow watch I have ever seen.

October 13th, 2011, 7:11 pm #6

Rg.Philipp
But besides from the historical appeal, I don't really think the cloisonné work is particularly well done on this piece.

M

http://www.tudorcollector.com

October 13th, 2011, 7:17 pm #7

and...if that is pink gold I'll eat it. That's the most yellow watch I have ever seen.
And yes, correct about the bezel,further
from the current dial & hands condition,
I would'nt be surprised the emaille surface
has a crack somewhere...but lets wait with
conclusions till previeuw but for comparison,
here a perfect cloissone...

October 13th, 2011, 7:30 pm #8

But besides from the historical appeal, I don't really think the cloisonné work is particularly well done on this piece.

M

http://www.tudorcollector.com
I wonder about the difference in typo between
the flaboyant numerals and the written text..
almost as they needed it quickly for give away.

October 13th, 2011, 7:38 pm #9

And yes, correct about the bezel,further
from the current dial & hands condition,
I would'nt be surprised the emaille surface
has a crack somewhere...but lets wait with
conclusions till previeuw but for comparison,
here a perfect cloissone...

I could make that into a really nice watch as long as the plates aren't too scarred inside...

I have every internal part for that watch NOS including a balance wheel...every screw...

A better bezel could be sourced easily enough.

October 13th, 2011, 7:52 pm #10