Melt It Down She Said ?? >>>>> With some OT Finish >>

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Melt It Down She Said ?? >>>>> With some OT Finish >>

May 3rd, 2012, 3:41 am #1

So ,, many of my mates know I'm a paraplegic after an accident some years ago and I'm paralyzed from the armpits down , meaning I have no trunk or torso control , as such I can only ever use one hand at a time the other has to hold my body upright in the wheelchair or I'll kiss mother earth in the blink on an eye And , I'm really a hobbyist frustrated grade 1 watchmaker in a mobile chair , I love to restore and bring back the life & beauty of timeless things like watches , so , this friend of my wife says to her , hey your husband ,, she cringes ,, isn't he into watches or something like that ? 

How do u explain or answer that

Um yes kinda why ??

Oh I found these 2 old watches that don't work ? 

Ever heard that before ? OK bring em round ?

She brings round 2 beaten watches and wanted to know if they were real as one was a Rolex ?? or so it said on the dial ? Expecting the worst ,, I said no drama cane farmer ,, dont panic its all organic ?? let me have a captain cook (look) and sure enough , one was what it was , not much to say the least ,, but the other , a Very KooL vintage Rolex , I have NO idea what it is ? Love to learn if anyone can shed some light ? 

I'm guess it's early 50's but if u ask my wife she will tell u the last time I was right was in 1973

Any clues would be a blessing and I know one of the forum members will know fo sure ??

Anyways ..... The watch was a bit messy on sight as you will see but we love messy don't we , i opened her up , inspected , the balance would spin but the escapement wouldn't power through the gears , so I said yes it's a real Rolex but not working ? And to be honest without pulling her apart I had no idea what was the problem and or if I could source parts ??? Or if it could even be fixed ???

Her reply ?

Doesn't matter I'm going to take them both to a gold buyer and just have them melt em down and get the value of the gold weight ? 

WT? .... U can't melt down a Vintage Rolex !!!! 

Are u INSANE , her reply ? Confirmation NOT needed she's a mate of my Wife

Cant let that happen so I said I'll buy it and just hope I can get her running , I offered her 5 times the value she was offered to cash it in on gold weight , still not much 9CT , little to say she was über stoked , now , where to start , what the heck is she ? 

OMG just look at that movement , it's BEAUTIFUL and 99% for sure a Virgin , couldn't see a sign she had ever been opened >>>

Just LOVE the Textured Dial and RED seconds Hand is KOOL ,, the Patina so Dreamy >>>

I guess it's time to have a Crack @ Her >>>

Fingers crossed , I disassembled the movement and ka-bam there it was , she was as dry as a bloke in the outback with out a beer ,, and KaKa the mainspring was kaput , after a good clean , oil & new mainspring I reassembled and was time to attack the plexi , with such a watch I really wanted to keep her as original as possible but the plexi was tout sweet , gentle grazing just perfect for her age so I wanted to preserve it and keep it away from crystal clear and my micro motor , instead I cut down a generic plexi I had and pressed her into place (keeping the original of course) , wow , I think she looks just BEAUTIFUL , i was SOOOOO tempted to just lightly rub down the Indice's , and make them glisten again , leaving the dial alone , would have been easy , went to do it twice and just , couldnt , the term UNTOUCHED kept banging in my head , maybe I should have dunno anyway , the dial is untouched , lol , next was to regulate the movement ? After some tweaks here and there I managed to get a +/- 4 seconds per day , an amp that was really strong , that was a surprise of sorts , a BE of .4 and couldn't be happier , i mean were talking a 60+ year old watch right ? added a strap

Melt her down ?? I DONT THINK SO

And ..... what do you think Mates ???  

I have 3 Questions if anyone can throw a dog a bone ?

1/ Why the gold solder lugs ? I mean for strength sure but maybe for War ?
2/ What Crown do I need to make her 100% ?
3/ I noticed we can talk values on the site so ANY Guesses as to what this she may be worth ! 

It gave me such PLEASURE to rescue her from the Flame

OT ......

Now , here is the OT part and mods pls feel free to delete if it's too OT , I have a real passion for taking buggered up stuff and giving them a new life , more after the accident then ever before (gee i winder why) and I'll bet I'm NOT alone when I say my first real watch that prolly was the start of my life's horological obsession was at age 13 when with a years lawn mowing money I bought myself a seiko diver $90 , I'll never forget how proud I was of that watch , I used to sit in school just looking at it enamored with the magic of this machine (should have been learning English instead right ??) !!

So for the last few years I have been rebuilding old vintage turtles and adding some tactical flavor then just giving them away , mostly to Disabled mates at my rehab center where I go every day , many of these people have nothing and live in government homes and centers so something like the gift of a watch blows them away , many just love the fact that they now even have a watch but I think it goes even deeper ,  it takes their mind to another place from time to time and the enjoyment of that diversion happens many times a day , i actually see it in the gym first hand which really makes my heart glow , some I build and just give them away for contests on another forum I belong too , the last was for a funny image contest , anyway this was the one I did for that and thought maybe one or two mates here might like to see the process fwiw

Usually I start with something like this , ready for the Bin , I say NOT >>> 

Bombs away I'm ready

YUCK >>>

DOUBLE YUCK >>>

Dunno what's more Dirty ?? Vintage or Cleaner or Sons Scooter lol >>

Foundation Prepped & Ready >>>

This case reminds me of my first car , BATTERED  >>>

Needs more bodywork than Kirsty Alley  >>>

UGH >>>>

Now let's have a look at the Engine >>

Wonder what the Extra Bit is 4 >>>

Needs a bit of Regulating ,, More Slope than the winter Olympic Downhill  >>

So on we Go >>>

Gasket looks Ok it's Rubber what more do u Need >>>

Time for the SUPERDOME >>>

Damn that's a DOME >> Bugger Moi >>

So ..... LOVE a GOOD old skool DOME >>>

Retaining RING >> Pressed ,, Ready and Sealed >>>

Chapter ring and crystal retaining ring pressed on ,, then removed to check the Gasket Integrity >>>

Just LOOK at that Profile >>>

Time to work on the Bezel & I have also finished the Case work and added some sharpish lines again >>

Yep needs some TLC and cleaning >>>

Now 4 the Bezel Insert  >>

Fitted but needs some retaining method , I know >>>

GEECH working with one hand just takes FOREVER but the end will be worth it U Bet  >>>

What's THIS Thang Behind >>>

Gasket Greased and Installing >>>

Now >>> Check out the CUSTOM Chapter Ring & Kool 24 Hour Custom Insert >>>

Looking Better >>>

Yes i think a bit better ,, Happy Happy >>>

DEGAZ Dial RULES >>>

BUT is it WATERPROOF >>>> LMAO what kind of a clown would do this , drowning in H2O just for da FUN of It >>

How GOOD does this dial LOOK >>>

History of the Degaz symbol >>

Dagaz, which traditionally means day, has a lot to do with attitude-it can indicate a change of mind or heart on the part of a querent. Sometimes, it shows that querent has decided to make the best of a situation that he can't control.

Being nonreversible, Dagaz doesn't necessarily have a negative aspect. Even in otherwise negative casts, the presence of Dagaz indicates that the querent may still be able to salvage something out of an otherwise disastrous situation.

If you look at it closely, you can start to see that Dagaz resembles the lemniscate (sideways figure eight), the symbol of infinity. In this way, Dagaz in a cast indicates the unlimited possibilities before a person, the idea of "the sky's the limit." 

LOVE IT Now onto the TRICKY BIT ,,, Battle Station Ready >>>

Can't wait to get Stuck In >>>

U Bet albeit as I wanted to use the DEGAZ dial it was never meant for this vintage Machine  Dial feet are in WRONG Position >>>

Hate Dat >>>

Gottta Fix Dat ASAP  >>>>

NICE >>> SMOOTHER THAN A BABIES BUM  >>>>

Let the NIGHTMARE Begin >>>

2 , 4 , 6 , 8 , Bog In Dun Wait ,, Newly Seated Dial and ..... KaKa >>>

Now wonder does it need to tell the Hour >>>

Guess so huh , Minutes ? Seconds ? Guess couldn't Hurt   >>>

So Close Now >>> BUT I'm Soooooooo SLOW >>>

Did I hear someone call me a FLIPPER , Confirmed ,, Time to FLIP >>

Love a Good Greaser >>>

Now >>>

Baa Baa >>>

Lets have a look at that Regulator >>>

Small Tweak >>>> Not Bad for a 30+ year Movement >>>

Close Enough ,,, FINALLY >>>>

DEGAZ Vintage is Tactical >>> 

Case has the final finished to Match ,, No Reflections on this Bad Boy >>>

READY TO RUMBLE >>> Install a 5 Ring NATO >> 22 Hours and Finally >>>

Now for anyone that has come this far , thank you perhaps we both need a life lol

I'm so jealous of blokes who really know what their doing when it comes to watch making , blokes like mike wood to name just one they REALLY  inspire me to want to learn more as does the forums ? With thanks to fleabay I've slowly been able to build my work bench with some second hand tools and the likes , it's a long way from what I'd like but a grade 1 students only need grade 1 tools lol , anyway here is the bench today >>

This one I just finished last week for a auction to raise $$ for the Sporting Wheelies a charity I'm ever so close too >>>

If you NOTICE a Blue HUE , it's because I had inside the lens coated with a blue AR >>>

If you made it this far ????

Then we're both insane

Thanks for allowing me to share one of the few things I can do the way I am now that still brings me so much happiness and , diversional therapy

"Power Up"

Cheers Hammer

May 3rd, 2012, 4:01 am #2

Great post Hammer. Thanks for posting. Love what you did with the Seiko. Looks fantastic. Best regards, Greg

May 3rd, 2012, 4:14 am #3

So ,, many of my mates know I'm a paraplegic after an accident some years ago and I'm paralyzed from the armpits down , meaning I have no trunk or torso control , as such I can only ever use one hand at a time the other has to hold my body upright in the wheelchair or I'll kiss mother earth in the blink on an eye And , I'm really a hobbyist frustrated grade 1 watchmaker in a mobile chair , I love to restore and bring back the life & beauty of timeless things like watches , so , this friend of my wife says to her , hey your husband ,, she cringes ,, isn't he into watches or something like that ? 

Um yes kinda why ??

She brings round 2 beaten watches and wanted to know if they were real as one was a Rolex ?? or so it said on the dial ? Expecting the worst ,, I said no drama cane farmer ,, dont panic its all organic ?? let me have a captain cook (look) and sure enough , one was what it was , not much to say the least ,, but the other , a Very KooL vintage Rolex , I have NO idea what it is ? Love to learn if anyone can shed some light ? 

I'm guess it's early 50's but if u ask my wife she will tell u the last time I was right was in 1973

Any clues would be a blessing and I know one of the forum members will know fo sure ??

Anyways ..... The watch was a bit messy on sight as you will see but we love messy don't we , i opened her up , inspected , the balance would spin but the escapement wouldn't power through the gears , so I said yes it's a real Rolex but not working ? And to be honest without pulling her apart I had no idea what was the problem and or if I could source parts ??? Or if it could even be fixed ???

Her reply ?

Doesn't matter I'm going to take them both to a gold buyer and just have them melt em down and get the value of the gold weight ? 

Cant let that happen so I said I'll buy it and just hope I can get her running , I offered her 5 times the value she was offered to cash it in on gold weight , still not much 9CT , little to say she was über stoked , now , where to start , what the heck is she ? 

OMG just look at that movement , it's BEAUTIFUL and 99% for sure a Virgin , couldn't see a sign she had ever been opened >>>

Just LOVE the Textured Dial and RED seconds Hand is KOOL ,, the Patina so Dreamy >>>

Fingers crossed , I disassembled the movement and ka-bam there it was , she was as dry as a bloke in the outback with out a beer ,, and KaKa the mainspring was kaput , after a good clean , oil & new mainspring I reassembled and was time to attack the plexi , with such a watch I really wanted to keep her as original as possible but the plexi was tout sweet , gentle grazing just perfect for her age so I wanted to preserve it and keep it away from crystal clear and my micro motor , instead I cut down a generic plexi I had and pressed her into place (keeping the original of course) , wow , I think she looks just BEAUTIFUL , i was SOOOOO tempted to just lightly rub down the Indice's , and make them glisten again , leaving the dial alone , would have been easy , went to do it twice and just , couldnt , the term UNTOUCHED kept banging in my head , maybe I should have dunno anyway , the dial is untouched , lol , next was to regulate the movement ? After some tweaks here and there I managed to get a +/- 4 seconds per day , an amp that was really strong , that was a surprise of sorts , a BE of .4 and couldn't be happier , i mean were talking a 60+ year old watch right ? added a strap

3/ I noticed we can talk values on the site so ANY Guesses as to what this she may be worth ! 

OT ......

Now , here is the OT part and mods pls feel free to delete if it's too OT , I have a real passion for taking buggered up stuff and giving them a new life , more after the accident then ever before (gee i winder why) and I'll bet I'm NOT alone when I say my first real watch that prolly was the start of my life's horological obsession was at age 13 when with a years lawn mowing money I bought myself a seiko diver $90 , I'll never forget how proud I was of that watch , I used to sit in school just looking at it enamored with the magic of this machine (should have been learning English instead right ??) !!

So for the last few years I have been rebuilding old vintage turtles and adding some tactical flavor then just giving them away , mostly to Disabled mates at my rehab center where I go every day , many of these people have nothing and live in government homes and centers so something like the gift of a watch blows them away , many just love the fact that they now even have a watch but I think it goes even deeper ,  it takes their mind to another place from time to time and the enjoyment of that diversion happens many times a day , i actually see it in the gym first hand which really makes my heart glow , some I build and just give them away for contests on another forum I belong too , the last was for a funny image contest , anyway this was the one I did for that and thought maybe one or two mates here might like to see the process fwiw

Bombs away I'm ready

YUCK >>>

DOUBLE YUCK >>>

UGH >>>>

So on we Go >>>

Chapter ring and crystal retaining ring pressed on ,, then removed to check the Gasket Integrity >>>

Time to work on the Bezel & I have also finished the Case work and added some sharpish lines again >>

GEECH working with one hand just takes FOREVER but the end will be worth it U Bet  >>>

Looking Better >>>

DEGAZ Dial RULES >>>

BUT is it WATERPROOF >>>> LMAO what kind of a clown would do this , drowning in H2O just for da FUN of It >>

Dagaz, which traditionally means day, has a lot to do with attitude-it can indicate a change of mind or heart on the part of a querent. Sometimes, it shows that querent has decided to make the best of a situation that he can't control.

Being nonreversible, Dagaz doesn't necessarily have a negative aspect. Even in otherwise negative casts, the presence of Dagaz indicates that the querent may still be able to salvage something out of an otherwise disastrous situation.

If you look at it closely, you can start to see that Dagaz resembles the lemniscate (sideways figure eight), the symbol of infinity. In this way, Dagaz in a cast indicates the unlimited possibilities before a person, the idea of "the sky's the limit." 

U Bet albeit as I wanted to use the DEGAZ dial it was never meant for this vintage Machine  Dial feet are in WRONG Position >>>

Hate Dat >>>

Love a Good Greaser >>>

Now >>>

Baa Baa >>>

Now for anyone that has come this far , thank you perhaps we both need a life lol

I'm so jealous of blokes who really know what their doing when it comes to watch making , blokes like mike wood to name just one they REALLY  inspire me to want to learn more as does the forums ? With thanks to fleabay I've slowly been able to build my work bench with some second hand tools and the likes , it's a long way from what I'd like but a grade 1 students only need grade 1 tools lol , anyway here is the bench today >>

This one I just finished last week for a auction to raise $$ for the Sporting Wheelies a charity I'm ever so close too >>>

If you NOTICE a Blue HUE , it's because I had inside the lens coated with a blue AR >>>

Then we're both insane

Thanks for allowing me to share one of the few things I can do the way I am now that still brings me so much happiness and , diversional therapy

"Power Up"

Cheers Hammer
Nice post Hammer! What a nice vintage Rolex and even better rehabilitation.

May 3rd, 2012, 4:24 am #4

Um yes kinda why ??

Her reply ?

OT ......

Bombs away I'm ready

YUCK >>>

DOUBLE YUCK >>>

UGH >>>>

So on we Go >>>

Looking Better >>>

DEGAZ Dial RULES >>>

Hate Dat >>>

Love a Good Greaser >>>

Now >>>

Baa Baa >>>

Then we're both insane

"Power Up"

Cheers Hammer
Yes you are spot on. I would say early to mid 50's Calibre 710 with early parashock.

The soldered lugs is likely a UK or imperial country of import. The case had to be pure gold in order to be considered gold.

I think you may need a crown like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Winding-C ... 500wt_1413

I'm not 100% sure but I think so.

Fantastic and I for one KNOW how much you enjoy what you do

Thanks for sharing your work!

TT

May 3rd, 2012, 4:57 am #5

Um yes kinda why ??

Her reply ?

OT ......

Bombs away I'm ready

YUCK >>>

DOUBLE YUCK >>>

UGH >>>>

So on we Go >>>

Looking Better >>>

DEGAZ Dial RULES >>>

Hate Dat >>>

Love a Good Greaser >>>

Now >>>

Baa Baa >>>

Then we're both insane

"Power Up"

Cheers Hammer
nt

May 3rd, 2012, 6:23 am #6

Um yes kinda why ??

Her reply ?

OT ......

Bombs away I'm ready

YUCK >>>

DOUBLE YUCK >>>

UGH >>>>

So on we Go >>>

Looking Better >>>

DEGAZ Dial RULES >>>

Hate Dat >>>

Love a Good Greaser >>>

Now >>>

Baa Baa >>>

Then we're both insane

"Power Up"

Cheers Hammer
A great story Hammer, I envy your skills, thanks for sharing

May 3rd, 2012, 6:27 am #7

Um yes kinda why ??

Her reply ?

OT ......

Bombs away I'm ready

YUCK >>>

DOUBLE YUCK >>>

UGH >>>>

So on we Go >>>

Looking Better >>>

DEGAZ Dial RULES >>>

Hate Dat >>>

Love a Good Greaser >>>

Now >>>

Baa Baa >>>

Then we're both insane

"Power Up"

Cheers Hammer
I think you did good and that's nice quality work too!

Best,

Steve

May 3rd, 2012, 6:35 am #8

Um yes kinda why ??

Her reply ?

OT ......

Bombs away I'm ready

YUCK >>>

DOUBLE YUCK >>>

UGH >>>>

So on we Go >>>

Looking Better >>>

DEGAZ Dial RULES >>>

Hate Dat >>>

Love a Good Greaser >>>

Now >>>

Baa Baa >>>

Then we're both insane

"Power Up"

Cheers Hammer
Hope all is well with you mate,..

May 3rd, 2012, 6:42 am #9

Um yes kinda why ??

Her reply ?

OT ......

Bombs away I'm ready

YUCK >>>

DOUBLE YUCK >>>

UGH >>>>

So on we Go >>>

Looking Better >>>

DEGAZ Dial RULES >>>

Hate Dat >>>

Love a Good Greaser >>>

Now >>>

Baa Baa >>>

Then we're both insane

"Power Up"

Cheers Hammer
and I am not worthy of a mention I don't know the right end of a pair of tweezers; just a professional watch-fiddler, me!! The number of partially stripped watch projects I've got stuck around the place in little pots is ridiculous... So big admiration from me for your watch-meddling skills!

The little '50s Rolex watch has come up a treat. The 9CT hallmark suggests it's probably been an Australian market watch from Day 1. Fixed strap bars are a bit of a hangover from the Second World War period, they appear to be virtually obsolete by the mid-1950's. The winding crown, although on the small side, could be the original dimpled winder (these didn't have a Rolex symbol), but missing its rolled gold cap (it does look a little bit smoothed-down). These crowns are still obtainable from Rolex, although most people seem to prefer flat winders with the Rolex crown. I won't pass comment on the choice of strap!!

I don't speak Seiko, but I like what you done to bring that poor-man's PloProf back from the brink!

Cheers for the great tutorial, mate!

MW

May 3rd, 2012, 7:21 am #10

Um yes kinda why ??

Her reply ?

OT ......

Bombs away I'm ready

YUCK >>>

DOUBLE YUCK >>>

UGH >>>>

So on we Go >>>

Looking Better >>>

DEGAZ Dial RULES >>>

Hate Dat >>>

Love a Good Greaser >>>

Now >>>

Baa Baa >>>

Then we're both insane

"Power Up"

Cheers Hammer
Great work, Hammer. That old Rolex is sweet, and I like what you did with the diver. Cheers Mate, K.