It seems, that nobody is interested in old Rolex Sport Watches?!

Vintage Rolex Discussion

It seems, that nobody is interested in old Rolex Sport Watches?!

May 5th, 2012, 3:14 pm #1

In 1988 a former Bodyguard of Bill Clinton got a old Rolex Submariner from his father in law.
He thought this is a cheap fake, and put it in an old box in his garage.
He always thought: " a real Rolex would not scratch up like this, so it must be a fake"

Over the years two times thieves stole things , like a set of tires or a power washer, out of the always unlocked garage.
But nobody was interested in the ugly Rolex fake.

Arround ten years ago three roofers repaired the roof of the garage. On of the workers noticed the Rolex, and the owner told him, :" It's yours for ten bucks" But the roofer declined.

So isn't it sad, that almost a quarter of a century nobody is interested in this one:

Btw , watch is running fine after all this years

Is it possible to refit the lume dot from the second hand?

Robby

May 5th, 2012, 3:48 pm #2

My grand uncle gave me his 6694 to me 15 years ago. The watch was in a similar condition. Crown popped out, dial oxidized, crystal cracked, case and bracelet scratched heavily. One of the link was broken. It still ticked and, to my astonishment, was quite accurate. I took it to RSC. I had a chance to peek at the movement. It looked like new. So, I committed the service.

They overhauled the movement, polished the case, fitted a new dial and hands, and repaired the bracelet.

I keep the old folded link bracelet and bought a modern one. Now it looks like this.

May 5th, 2012, 5:32 pm #3

In 1988 a former Bodyguard of Bill Clinton got a old Rolex Submariner from his father in law.
He always thought: " a real Rolex would not scratch up like this, so it must be a fake"

Over the years two times thieves stole things , like a set of tires or a power washer, out of the always unlocked garage.

Arround ten years ago three roofers repaired the roof of the garage. On of the workers noticed the Rolex, and the owner told him, :" It's yours for ten bucks" But the roofer declined.

So isn't it sad, that almost a quarter of a century nobody is interested in this one:

Robby
Very nice find--I am sure some of the more knowledgeable can help

May 5th, 2012, 7:31 pm #4

Robby
you had me goin...... until the "ten bucks" part was added.....I'll go 20.00

May 5th, 2012, 11:41 pm #5

My grand uncle gave me his 6694 to me 15 years ago. The watch was in a similar condition. Crown popped out, dial oxidized, crystal cracked, case and bracelet scratched heavily. One of the link was broken. It still ticked and, to my astonishment, was quite accurate. I took it to RSC. I had a chance to peek at the movement. It looked like new. So, I committed the service.

They overhauled the movement, polished the case, fitted a new dial and hands, and repaired the bracelet.

I keep the old folded link bracelet and bought a modern one. Now it looks like this.

Should be a 1500 I think

May 6th, 2012, 12:11 am #6

Robby
I´ll start cleaning up the garage once again. Up to now I only found on old pre daytona 6238, but a stainles steel one, not gold. I´ll keep on trying!
Just a joke, nice story!

May 6th, 2012, 4:46 am #7

Should be a 1500 I think
My beloved 6694.

May 6th, 2012, 5:38 pm #8

Robby
I picked up an old Heuer Autavia chrono that way at a garage sale. It was in a coffee cup on a table full of $1 junk. The woman running the sale said it belonged to her father and hadn't worked in years. I gave her $10 for it, took it home and spent a few hours cleaning the food and dirt off of it. Turned out to be a beautiful 2 register VJ 7750 chrono that kept perfect time.

Great story - congrats!