Incoming!!!

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Incoming!!!

May 16th, 2012, 12:24 pm #1

I do love the Explorer. Both the I and II really appeal to me, and whilst I bagged a lovely tritium 14270 a while back I'd pretty much forgotten about it's cousin, the 16570 "Polar", and let it fall off the radar a little.

I've actually hankered after a really nice tritium piece for quite some time, and even turned down the offer of a great example a while back because the patina wasn't dark enough to tempt me to take up the offer. However, a recent opportunity turned up just what I'd been waiting for, and it (a 1993 16570, that is) duly arrived today looking even nicer in the metal than I'd hoped. Complete with box and booklets, and a very recent service warranty from Bill Rice to complete the set.

Here's a few immediate shots - I'm struggling a little with a new lighting set-up but I think they've turned out quite nicely. I can honestly say that I've never liked a watch so much upon putting it on my wrist. What do you reckon?

---
Tony

May 16th, 2012, 12:27 pm #2

Hands from a black dialed...? (nt)

May 16th, 2012, 12:33 pm #3

Sometimes the most obvious things are the ones you miss!!!

Conversation with the seller imminent...

---
Tony

May 16th, 2012, 1:17 pm #4

May 16th, 2012, 1:21 pm #5

Is there any way of ascertaining which of either the dial or hands isn't original to the watch?

I guess there are a couple of other possibilities in terms of the source of the hands too, though.

---
Tony
Last edited by LTF_1 on May 16th, 2012, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 16th, 2012, 1:31 pm #6

that hands had to be black for this version, it's a pity because they are really perfect for the dial. You can try to make a trade on VRM, that kind of hands are rarer than the black one and if a seller had a set to match your dial he will be happy to make the trade

Best Regards,
David.

May 16th, 2012, 1:33 pm #7

Not necessarily - couldn't it just just as well be GMT or black ExpII hands? (nt)

May 16th, 2012, 1:37 pm #8

that hands had to be black for this version, it's a pity because they are really perfect for the dial. You can try to make a trade on VRM, that kind of hands are rarer than the black one and if a seller had a set to match your dial he will be happy to make the trade

Best Regards,
David.
I think the first thing to do is ascertain whether a price adjustment is going to be agreed, and take it from there. You're right in that the hands are a perfect match for the dial in terms of patina... what a shame

---
Tony

May 16th, 2012, 3:30 pm #9

Is there any way of ascertaining which of either the dial or hands isn't original to the watch?

I guess there are a couple of other possibilities in terms of the source of the hands too, though.

---
Tony
Arthur

http://rolexnessreviews.blogspot.com/

May 16th, 2012, 3:31 pm #10

I do love the Explorer. Both the I and II really appeal to me, and whilst I bagged a lovely tritium 14270 a while back I'd pretty much forgotten about it's cousin, the 16570 "Polar", and let it fall off the radar a little.

I've actually hankered after a really nice tritium piece for quite some time, and even turned down the offer of a great example a while back because the patina wasn't dark enough to tempt me to take up the offer. However, a recent opportunity turned up just what I'd been waiting for, and it (a 1993 16570, that is) duly arrived today looking even nicer in the metal than I'd hoped. Complete with box and booklets, and a very recent service warranty from Bill Rice to complete the set.

Here's a few immediate shots - I'm struggling a little with a new lighting set-up but I think they've turned out quite nicely. I can honestly say that I've never liked a watch so much upon putting it on my wrist. What do you reckon?

---
Tony
You must have liked it when you saw the pics. and bought it
So what about the hands ?? I think they look better than black hands with this dial.