In the Spirit of Sir Edmund Hillary

Vintage Rolex Discussion

In the Spirit of Sir Edmund Hillary

August 1st, 2012, 3:01 am #1

Inspired by the photo of Hillary's pre-Everest "Bosecks" watch posted by Philipp on April 17th...

...the same 6084 model of which I do own a fine example from 1952 thanks to another forum member...

...and since I cannot bring myself to take the Rolex, though it would probably do just fine, I have started taking my similar early 1950s Tudor Oyster Prince 34 into the mountains with me on a khaki NATO similar to Hillary's. Here we are one fine morning a few weeks ago in Esmeralda Basin, Cascade Mountains, Washington. This trusty Tudor ticked within 3 seconds per day for the whole trip. Too bad I can't seem to find a 19 mm NATO (have to squeeze this 20 mm instead)!

Look carefully and you will see my tent...

Let's see your rugged timepieces in the outdoor conditions they were designed for!

August 1st, 2012, 3:19 am #2

August 1st, 2012, 7:32 am #3

Great pics and good to see these watches being used as they were intended.

One of my favourite Tudor articles:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/t ... Tudor+7809

Cheers

Ross

Tony
Tony

August 1st, 2012, 7:38 am #4

Sorry that I am not able to contribute to this thread.
But I look forward to seeing other members contribution.

puffy
puffy

August 1st, 2012, 9:38 am #5

Inspired by the photo of Hillary's pre-Everest "Bosecks" watch posted by Philipp on April 17th...

...the same 6084 model of which I do own a fine example from 1952 thanks to another forum member...

...and since I cannot bring myself to take the Rolex, though it would probably do just fine, I have started taking my similar early 1950s Tudor Oyster Prince 34 into the mountains with me on a khaki NATO similar to Hillary's. Here we are one fine morning a few weeks ago in Esmeralda Basin, Cascade Mountains, Washington. This trusty Tudor ticked within 3 seconds per day for the whole trip. Too bad I can't seem to find a 19 mm NATO (have to squeeze this 20 mm instead)!

Let's see your rugged timepieces in the outdoor conditions they were designed for!
amazing! thanks for sharing

August 1st, 2012, 1:04 pm #6

Hatchers Pass, Alaska

August 1st, 2012, 1:07 pm #7

August 2nd, 2012, 10:42 am #8

Great pics and good to see these watches being used as they were intended.

One of my favourite Tudor articles:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/t ... Tudor+7809

Cheers

Ross

A great article indeed! Thanks for the link.