In the company of some historic Explorers!!

March 21st, 2011, 10:09 am #1

Enjoyed a great watch-orientated weekend with a load of fellow watch-nuts in Maastricht at the invitation of Philipp Stahl.

During the weekend, we had the opportunity to meet Peter Hillary and Jamling Tenzing Norgay, sons of the famous mountaineers who conquered Mt Everest in 1953, and George Band, a member of the 1953 Everest expedition team.

I managed to grab a few lousy i-phone pictures from our dinner on Friday night. I blame the poor lighting in the restaurant for these

This is a pretty special trio... the watch in the centre is the watch worn by George Band during the successful 1953 Everest expedition when Hillary and Tenzing made it to the summit. It's a reference 6098 with white baton dial, and caseback inscribed with the details of the expedition. It made the hairs on my neck tingle!! On the right, George Band's ref. 6150 used on the 1955 expedition to Kanchenjunga, with the back engraved to commemorate the climb. On the left, another identical ref. 6150 (my own!) from 1953, no known climbing history (yet! I will put my crampons on later and go for a trek) the canvas strap was signed by Peter Hillary and Jamling Tenzing Norgay, and George Band.

Bernhard scrutinises George Band's Everest watch, whilst the man himself enjoys the interest his historic watches are attracting!

This awful picture shows a real historic line-up.

From left to right: 1. Sir Edmund Hillary's orange hand Explorer II; 2. my 6150; 3. George Band's Everest ref. 6098; 4. George Band's ref. 6150; 5. Philipp's beautiful Serpico Y Laino ref. 6350; 6. my ref. 6610 on Bonklip band; 7. Peter Hillary's very well-travelled "expeditions" Explorer II - Everest summit twice, north pole, south pole, etc!! :shock:

I thought I photographed Jamling Tenzing Norgay's GMT-Master II on striped NATO strap which he wore on Everest and his many other expeditions (can't find the picture ), hopefully somebody will have pictures to share...

But this gathering of Explorers put a smile on my face

Hope you enjoyed, and apologies for the crappy pics, just use a little imagination...

Mike Wood

Last edited by mikewood on March 21st, 2011, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

fatboyharris
VRF Member

March 21st, 2011, 10:44 am #2

Glad it was enjoyed by all, with some very rare and interesting watches to keep you company.

regards
John.

Highlander65
VRF Member
Highlander65
VRF Member

March 21st, 2011, 10:46 am #3

Enjoyed a great watch-orientated weekend with a load of fellow watch-nuts in Maastricht at the invitation of Philipp Stahl.

During the weekend, we had the opportunity to meet Peter Hillary and Jamling Tenzing Norgay, sons of the famous mountaineers who conquered Mt Everest in 1953, and George Band, a member of the 1953 Everest expedition team.

I managed to grab a few lousy i-phone pictures from our dinner on Friday night. I blame the poor lighting in the restaurant for these

This is a pretty special trio... the watch in the centre is the watch worn by George Band during the successful 1953 Everest expedition when Hillary and Tenzing made it to the summit. It's a reference 6098 with white baton dial, and caseback inscribed with the details of the expedition. It made the hairs on my neck tingle!! On the right, George Band's ref. 6150 used on the 1955 expedition to Kanchenjunga, with the back engraved to commemorate the climb. On the left, another identical ref. 6150 (my own!) from 1953, no known climbing history (yet! I will put my crampons on later and go for a trek) the canvas strap was signed by Peter Hillary and Jamling Tenzing Norgay, and George Band.

Bernhard scrutinises George Band's Everest watch, whilst the man himself enjoys the interest his historic watches are attracting!

From left to right: 1. Sir Edmund Hillary's orange hand Explorer II; 2. my 6150; 3. George Band's Everest ref. 6098; 4. George Band's ref. 6150; 5. Philipp's beautiful Serpico Y Laino ref. 6350; 6. my ref. 6610 on Bonklip band; 7. Peter Hillary's very well-travelled "expeditions" Explorer II - Everest summit twice, north pole, south pole, etc!! :shock:

I thought I photographed Jamling Tenzing Norgay's GMT-Master II on striped NATO strap which he wore on Everest and his many other expeditions (can't find the picture ), hopefully somebody will have pictures to share...

Hope you enjoyed, and apologies for the crappy pics, just use a little imagination...

Mike Wood

Talk about history! Amazing.......

kingmillo
VRF Member
kingmillo
VRF Member

March 21st, 2011, 11:49 am #4

Mike Wood

such great historic pieces. Must have been a blast there

fletch01
VRF Member
fletch01
VRF Member

March 21st, 2011, 1:44 pm #5

Mike Wood

[/IMG]

......if you like i have some more nice scans from the other side of the table.....??

cheers
Marcus

March 21st, 2011, 2:02 pm #6

Mike Wood

Mr Band looked like he was really enjoying himself.

YetiBiker
VRF Member
YetiBiker
VRF Member

March 21st, 2011, 2:51 pm #7

Mike Wood

Thanks for sharing Mike. What an honor to have met Mr. Band!

March 21st, 2011, 3:23 pm #8

Mike Wood

We're just ready with cleaning up the theatre

MANY thanks to YOU! & to ALL!! others for taking the
effort to travel so far to us. GREAT PASSION all of you!!

I'm blown away by all the super positive reactions!
and i'm very happy everybody has enjoyed our program!!

Sorry but did't had time tolook at the pictures yet,
Bernhard will most probably have some tomorrow, untill
then here some of my Iphone pics of your Explorer Encounter

See YOU in Geneve & allthough i could sleep for a week now, i'm already looking forward!

Thanks my friend!

Philipp

fletch01
VRF Member
fletch01
VRF Member

March 21st, 2011, 4:38 pm #9

Mike Wood

.....thank you all, for a wonderful dinner and friday evening .....special thanks to Philipp!!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]