In Praise of the New (or How I Learned to Love a Modern Rolex)>

Vintage Rolex Discussion

In Praise of the New (or How I Learned to Love a Modern Rolex)>

March 8th, 2012, 7:29 pm #1

Pursuant to what we've been talking about and speaking as one who is almost never enamored of Modern Rolex designs, I can say that after a test drive (two, in fact) and really not looking to like the watch, once I started wearing it I fell hard for the Milgauss GV...

While I realize this watch is not everyone's cup of tea, for me it is both true to Rolex's heritage, possessed of the same tool watch capabilities as its forebearers, while also making a beautiful modern design statement on its own terms.

Some will cavil over the hybrid 6541/1019 design cues, as well as the shiny, scratch-magnet parts. What is unquestionable to me is that this model is the most "retro" feeling of all of Rolex's recent tributes: Matte dial, wide smooth bezel, true Farraday cage construction in a thick but not ridiculous 40mm case. All this with a purpose-built movement and killer orange lightning hand & dial accents, multi-hued applied indexes which glow differently in the dark and that clear emerald crystal which I find to be magic on the wrist.

I never thought it could happen to me but I have grown to love a Rolex made after 1990. And I finally get to own a Milgauss for about a quarter of the price of the least expensive vintage models. Sometimes letting go of your biases really is the best route to happiness.
Best,
T.

March 8th, 2012, 7:37 pm #2

Well said Tom, it is a beauty--it has a great look--enjoy-regards

March 8th, 2012, 9:13 pm #3

Pursuant to what we've been talking about and speaking as one who is almost never enamored of Modern Rolex designs, I can say that after a test drive (two, in fact) and really not looking to like the watch, once I started wearing it I fell hard for the Milgauss GV...

While I realize this watch is not everyone's cup of tea, for me it is both true to Rolex's heritage, possessed of the same tool watch capabilities as its forebearers, while also making a beautiful modern design statement on its own terms.

Some will cavil over the hybrid 6541/1019 design cues, as well as the shiny, scratch-magnet parts. What is unquestionable to me is that this model is the most "retro" feeling of all of Rolex's recent tributes: Matte dial, wide smooth bezel, true Farraday cage construction in a thick but not ridiculous 40mm case. All this with a purpose-built movement and killer orange lightning hand & dial accents, multi-hued applied indexes which glow differently in the dark and that clear emerald crystal which I find to be magic on the wrist.

I never thought it could happen to me but I have grown to love a Rolex made after 1990. And I finally get to own a Milgauss for about a quarter of the price of the least expensive vintage models. Sometimes letting go of your biases really is the best route to happiness.
Best,
T.
I think you get used to 'that' look....so you finally like it.
BUT when it would be nice from the beginning. you never
would make a post like this, tom!

The orange markers are way off...the orange in general is off,
these 'design faults' you start excepting after you've seen it
too much......doesn't mean it's a classic as for me, it's sh*t

edit for: Picture

Last edited by philippstahl on March 8th, 2012, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 8th, 2012, 9:41 pm #4

One man's $hit is another man's treasure my friend. My cern dial Milgauss was just another piece of you know what back in the day.

March 8th, 2012, 9:48 pm #5

off course a Cern Milgauss 1019 is nice! Specially as it was NOT in those day, not because they didn't like it but because people where not used to it.
Nowadays we are used to it to get perfect, in balance, heritage correct, design...Something I've NOT yet seen Rolex do. The green Milgauss is just a joke!

rg.Philipp

March 8th, 2012, 10:28 pm #6

I think you get used to 'that' look....so you finally like it.
BUT when it would be nice from the beginning. you never
would make a post like this, tom!

The orange markers are way off...the orange in general is off,
these 'design faults' you start excepting after you've seen it
too much......doesn't mean it's a classic as for me, it's sh*t

edit for: Picture

...they pop when placed together. Rolex knew what they were doing. And trust me, I really like the watch. Like a great song, some things grow on you and really take hold.
And hey, I'd love to own a 1019 someday or maybe even a 6541.
But value for money and aesthetically this Milgauss GV is scratching my itch.
Taste is all personal but for me the GV really does stand out as the one new Rolex I can really enjoy.
All the best,
Tom

March 8th, 2012, 10:34 pm #7

Nothing against that Amigo

You think it's cool designed, I don't see it.

Enjoy!

Rg.Philipp

March 8th, 2012, 10:43 pm #8

Best,
T.
Just looks like a missmatch and bad copy of parts form a 6541 and 1019..
A

[/IMG]

Last edited by aakviper on March 8th, 2012, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 8th, 2012, 10:47 pm #9

What is orange doing on a Milgauss??

It had to look cool when orange was hot,
only thing I like is the green glass & the
thunder hand..Oh wait, I like the double
case and it's design also, almost classic!

Without the orange, it would had made it

rg.P

March 8th, 2012, 11:03 pm #10

The orange color is hideous.
The question I have to ask here is, was Rolex going for a heritage look? If they were, which model were they mimicking the 6541 or 1019?

And if this concept was no heritage reproduction, then what the hell was Rolex trying to accomplish? To craze for me with the orange and mismatched parts ..
A

Last edited by aakviper on March 8th, 2012, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.