I would like to ID my GMT Master.

Vintage Rolex Discussion

I would like to ID my GMT Master.

July 12th, 2012, 6:55 pm #1

Wow so excited to find this site. Had no clue. I bought this watch in 1966-67 while serving in Vietnam. Watch was purchased for me by another soldier in Japan. I wore the watch for 20 years or so, not sure why I quit wearing. Was serviced once in NY City as I recall, not positive, but recall the local jewelers were not qual so sent it out to??

Anyway I just ran across the watch and want to find out about it. I am posting images. I took the band off and there are some numbers on the ends where the band connects up, but have been pretty well worn and are not readable by me. I hesitate to take the back off without some instructions or taking it to a jeweler. We live i boonies so not practical right now.

This is a great forum and you all should be proud. Any help would be great appreciated.
Thanks Rich

July 12th, 2012, 7:07 pm #2

Couldn't get images to attach to message.

Here is link to images

http://s1072.photobucket.com/albums/w363/rolexforum/

RolexWatchTime
RolexWatchTime

July 12th, 2012, 7:15 pm #3

Wow so excited to find this site. Had no clue. I bought this watch in 1966-67 while serving in Vietnam. Watch was purchased for me by another soldier in Japan. I wore the watch for 20 years or so, not sure why I quit wearing. Was serviced once in NY City as I recall, not positive, but recall the local jewelers were not qual so sent it out to??

Anyway I just ran across the watch and want to find out about it. I am posting images. I took the band off and there are some numbers on the ends where the band connects up, but have been pretty well worn and are not readable by me. I hesitate to take the back off without some instructions or taking it to a jeweler. We live i boonies so not practical right now.

This is a great forum and you all should be proud. Any help would be great appreciated.
Thanks Rich
Refinished dial...nice original bezel and insert. Valuable. Bezel by itself is worth more than your car.

July 12th, 2012, 7:26 pm #4

Thanks Rich
someone re-dialed at service with a very poor example. yours should have a nice gilt dial as in the dial archive. Take a look at the ones there. Yours looks to have a real bakelite bezel insert and they are difficult to find in nice shape and very pricey $$. Better experts on these here than me. Wait for them to chime in.
Sourcing a correct dial may take a little time and nice ones are 4-5K sometimes. Nice watch when you get a nice dial for it. M

July 12th, 2012, 7:30 pm #5

Thanks Rich
Hi Rich,
your watch have only One problem, The dial...maybe reprint or fake, set of hands relumed/repainted.

The bezel and The insert is good IMHO but One detailed pics are necessary to be certain, later bracelet.

Very hard and expensive to find correct dial.

Cheers.

Igor

July 12th, 2012, 7:47 pm #6

someone re-dialed at service with a very poor example. yours should have a nice gilt dial as in the dial archive. Take a look at the ones there. Yours looks to have a real bakelite bezel insert and they are difficult to find in nice shape and very pricey $$. Better experts on these here than me. Wait for them to chime in.
Sourcing a correct dial may take a little time and nice ones are 4-5K sometimes. Nice watch when you get a nice dial for it. M
Thanks for info. All I know is that I am original owner and I do not think dial was replaced. I think I had it serviced in the early 70's. Not sure memory pretty fuzzy now. I know it was at least 30 years and maybe closer to 40 years ago. I don't even remember what the problem was. It seems like the service was more than i paid for the watch and it was in NY. Thanks for your help.

July 12th, 2012, 7:50 pm #7

Hi Rich,
your watch have only One problem, The dial...maybe reprint or fake, set of hands relumed/repainted.

The bezel and The insert is good IMHO but One detailed pics are necessary to be certain, later bracelet.

Very hard and expensive to find correct dial.

Cheers.

Igor
Thanks,

Have no clue about watches so what would the picture be of?

Thanks again, Rich

July 12th, 2012, 7:56 pm #8

Thanks for info. All I know is that I am original owner and I do not think dial was replaced. I think I had it serviced in the early 70's. Not sure memory pretty fuzzy now. I know it was at least 30 years and maybe closer to 40 years ago. I don't even remember what the problem was. It seems like the service was more than i paid for the watch and it was in NY. Thanks for your help.
but no doubt at all. Still a nice watch to wear.

July 12th, 2012, 8:08 pm #9

Thanks again. A buddy bought it for me in Japan. May have been used or whatever so dial may have already been changed before I got the watch. My friend passed away recently so all hope of asking him are gone. The Air Force Captain, that was the air observer for our battalion wore one and I thought it was pretty cool so I had the friend pick it up. Don't recall if it had any paperwork etc. I was in the infantry so probably would have canned the paperwork anyway. I just put it on and wore. Thanks Rich

July 12th, 2012, 8:13 pm #10

Thanks,

Have no clue about watches so what would the picture be of?

Thanks again, Rich
Rich,
please see in dial archive, It's possible find some correct dial, only with SWISS, The other SWISS T-25 are Service dial.

Cheers.

Igor

P.S. With iPad It's not possible copy/paste link