I Think USPS Has Lost My Watch

Vintage Rolex Discussion

I Think USPS Has Lost My Watch

May 17th, 2012, 11:26 am #1

I was sending a Thick Case all original White 1680 to Dalton for a refinish and crystal via USPS Express. It was supposed to have got there yesterday. There have been no updates since it left my post office. USPS is "researching it". It was the head only, at least I kept the bracelet.

It isn't over yet, but I have a bad feeling on this one. I have shipped probably 30 watches to him this way over the years.

I insured it for the full amount. I have pictures of the watch, the paypal transaction data and the serial number and appraisal. I can't imagine them needing anything else to allow me to claim the insurance right?

Thoughts? Sympathy? Odds of everything being ok?

If it has been stolen (don't even use the word LOST, we all know it will end up in someone's hands), I will post the serial number and try to make sure it does not get resold on the market like this.

May 17th, 2012, 11:39 am #2

I think this is a good reason to always use Brinks....

You may save some $ each time you send something but at the end you will save a lot....

Try to use also Iwjs as a third party jnsurance.... they go with Fedex.

Anyway I hope you will find your watch.

Best
Matteo

May 17th, 2012, 12:32 pm #3

I was sending a Thick Case all original White 1680 to Dalton for a refinish and crystal via USPS Express. It was supposed to have got there yesterday. There have been no updates since it left my post office. USPS is "researching it". It was the head only, at least I kept the bracelet.

It isn't over yet, but I have a bad feeling on this one. I have shipped probably 30 watches to him this way over the years.

I insured it for the full amount. I have pictures of the watch, the paypal transaction data and the serial number and appraisal. I can't imagine them needing anything else to allow me to claim the insurance right?

If it has been stolen (don't even use the word LOST, we all know it will end up in someone's hands), I will post the serial number and try to make sure it does not get resold on the market like this.

Sending some positive vibes Harold !!! Sure hope she shows up !!! (nt)

May 17th, 2012, 1:46 pm #4

this happened to me on a 5513 a person shipped to me via USPS Express, sometimes the tracking system was slow, and for some reason the watch didint arrive till after 2 days after the expected date.

Don't worry, it will get there

May 17th, 2012, 2:35 pm #5

You've got one of the best 1665's out there.
Hopefully they find it ASAP!

May 17th, 2012, 2:49 pm #6

...as the private couriers and also their volume is way higher, making the occasional screw up more likely.
I bet it turns up late safe & sound and you get the refund on your postage (but not the added insurance).
Just one question--what size box did you pack it in? Personally, I always use the big one because I feel that makes it harder for someone to just pocket it or stuff it in a knapsack.
Best of luck, Harold, and hope to hear good news soon,
Tom

P.S. You have confirmed with Dalton that he did not receive the watch, right? 'Cause their tracking updates online are not always timely.

don't worry
don't worry

May 17th, 2012, 3:22 pm #7

How did you send it?

Express overnight? Usually the tracking is delayed by 1/2 day
Priority 2-3 days? You won't get your tracking until it arrives at the destination sorting center

May 17th, 2012, 3:52 pm #8

Is that they're tracking data is crap. Hopefully all is fine.

---
Tony

May 17th, 2012, 4:22 pm #9

Every watch I ship is via USPS Express. Typically, the recipient is in possession of the watch for at least a day before the USPS site reflects it. Also two of the last three watches I have shipped have all been at least one to two days late, with only one apology from USPS when I insisted they refund my shipping charges.

For those who use this service and may be unaware, USPS actually uses FedEx for their Express and Priority service. USPS told me on the most recent shipment that they believe FE may be "diverting" USPS packages in order to move customers directly to FedEx. Take it for what it's worth.

Good luck, just in case.

Mike

May 17th, 2012, 4:57 pm #10

I am sure it will show up - sending good vibes your way - let us know when it does.

Michael M.

PS: Tell Dalton he can't touch your 1680 until my Datejust is on its way to Idaho.