I hate dress watches......well I did until THIS!!

Vintage Rolex Discussion

I hate dress watches......well I did until THIS!!

August 9th, 2012, 11:13 am #1

Ok hate is a strong word and i don't really hate them.

They just don't push my buttons like sports watches, never have, thought they never would.

Submariners, Seadwellers, GMT's and Daytons all get the juices flowing and excitement rising when you have one in your hand.

But Dates, Datejusts and Day-Dates just never did anything for me, guess I've never been a dress watch kind of guy.

And what is it with this constant harping on about Stella? Isn't she Jed's missus? Leave her alone!

Well all that changed yesterday when this arrived in the post!

I can't stop photographing it and scarily I haven't stopped wearing it??!!

What is happening to me? Is this what happens when you turn 40? What other nightmares have I to face?

Anyway thought you might like to see it as it's a bit 'special'

Early 1.2m 1501 Date gilt gloss dial from 65 with iii65 caseback and 4.64 bracelet in great condition (bar top link which needs re-tightening a bit)

The black gloss paint has turned brown UNDER the laquer but the laquer itself is perfect.

The dial surface and gilt printing on top of the laquer is perfect - there is no flecking on the dial surface whatsoever, the colour change is all underneath.

1560 26 jewel movement looks like it was made yesterday.

Its so brown and glossy it looks like treacle!

Fallen in love all over again....

August 9th, 2012, 11:25 am #2

everyone wants a stella ....must want their heads reading

cool look jason !

August 9th, 2012, 11:27 am #3

They just don't push my buttons like sports watches, never have, thought they never would.

Submariners, Seadwellers, GMT's and Daytons all get the juices flowing and excitement rising when you have one in your hand.

But Dates, Datejusts and Day-Dates just never did anything for me, guess I've never been a dress watch kind of guy.

And what is it with this constant harping on about Stella? Isn't she Jed's missus? Leave her alone!

What is happening to me? Is this what happens when you turn 40? What other nightmares have I to face?

Early 1.2m 1501 Date gilt gloss dial from 65 with iii65 caseback and 4.64 bracelet in great condition (bar top link which needs re-tightening a bit)

The black gloss paint has turned brown UNDER the laquer but the laquer itself is perfect.

The dial surface and gilt printing on top of the laquer is perfect - there is no flecking on the dial surface whatsoever, the colour change is all underneath.

NT

August 9th, 2012, 11:33 am #4

I like that too!

best

Steve

August 9th, 2012, 11:35 am #5

You hated eating vegetables.... Through time you learned vegetables were good for you...even fun to eat! There is life beyond tool watches.

Watch with great character. Love it.

Best...MC

August 9th, 2012, 11:49 am #6

That's hot.

August 9th, 2012, 12:13 pm #7

Thankfully, the dial was not replaced in a service! Love that it still has its riveted bracelet.

August 9th, 2012, 12:19 pm #8

Hi Jason,

Its so unique. Reminds me of expensive marble. Nice wrist shots.

Cheers!

Regards,

Chong Y C
Chong YC

August 9th, 2012, 12:48 pm #9

cheers
Marcus

August 9th, 2012, 12:52 pm #10

...all speckled like yours and all within the 65-67ish range. Very interesting effect and they all have a different pattern. And you're right, it's under the lacquer so it is hard to put your finger on what's happening when you loupe it, as there are no other faults to the top coat really. Amazing what time can do.
Also really like engine turned bezel on Dates--you picked a winner, Jason--enjoy!
All the best,
Tom