Huh! Who wants a Vintage Rolex???

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Huh! Who wants a Vintage Rolex???

May 17th, 2012, 7:33 am #1

Well actually I do.

I can't explain why over the past few months I have yearned for one! Perhaps it my age, my current collection or the stunning vintage Rolex watches that I have seen over the past few months and the excitement that I hear in owners words when writing about their new acquition.

Who can tell, what I can say is that I have looked at dozens nay hundreds of photos of vintage Rolex watches, all showing various degrees of vintage appeal, from their patina through to the history of the piece and the stories that come with it.

So the search was on to locate a genuine Vintage Rolex piece, in my case I had set my parameters on a 1680 red, hopefully MF with all it's B&P's. But I soon realised how scare they were and at what cost they would be
Then came the problem of finding a genuine and untampered piece. WHAT A BL**DY NIGHTMARE, how can there be so many frankenstein watches out there!! I thought that I knew a respectable amount about watches, but this field was a whole new minefield!!

So, slowly I started to learn, about Gilt Edge, Chapter Ring, Rail Track, Exclamation Dial, relume, ghost bezels, lug sizes, polished or unpolished etc, etc.

Now very fortunately, for me, I struck up a conversation (via PM) with a fellow Watchprosite member, which soon led to emails being passed back and forth, the member was extremely knowledgeable and very patient. A bit like a master teaching his disciple, no matter what stupid question I would ask they were always quick to guide and educate me. And for that I shall be forever grateful

Now, as I had previously mentioned, i was looking for a Red Sub 1680 with a fantastic patina. For me they filled three things:
1) A classic Sub
2) It had red writing on it and
3) It had the date.

Now, I live in the far South of the UK, where the wheel, phone and TV have only recently been invented if you get my gist . So purely on a whim, I contacted a small watch & jeweller in town who I knew stocked pre owned Rolex watches.
So I asked the question "Do you have any vintage Rolex watches, such as a Red 1680" No came the reply "But I do have a lovely 5512 from 1961, serial number starting 693*** with SWISS and Exclamation dial at 6 o' clock, gilt dial, chapter ring beautiful patina and sits on a rivet bracelet " Thank you said I "But I am really after a 1680"
But, when I told my fellow collector, he advised me to look more into it more detail. Long story short after phone calls (including one from my mentor to the actual jeweller), emails & visits by myself. And an awful lot of support (including discussions with other collectors) and encouragement. I finally purchased my first vintage Rolex watch.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

My photos do not in any way do the watch justice, the colour of the dial , markers & hands are truly awesome, they just look so warm and can only be appreciated in the flesh. As with the gilt writing and chapter ring. Though its bemusing to see the colour of the markers can vary so much in the different light! The bezel is slightly faded and to top it all the accuracy of the watch itself is beyond belief, for a watch that is 51 years old. I have to say that it is on par with my Explorer II and Patek 5205G. Before, I finish my final words must go to those members (you know who you are) who gave up so much of their time to help & support me in this quest. Without your support, I wouldn't be wearing such a stunning piece.

Thank you

Regards Tony

PS My next piece, hopefully, will be a vintage Rolex from my birth year 1958.

May 17th, 2012, 7:46 am #2

Congrats Tony that's sure one HECK of a 1st M8 !! Scared 2 think what's gunna b 2nd (nt)

May 17th, 2012, 8:01 am #3

Well actually I do.

I can't explain why over the past few months I have yearned for one! Perhaps it my age, my current collection or the stunning vintage Rolex watches that I have seen over the past few months and the excitement that I hear in owners words when writing about their new acquition.

Who can tell, what I can say is that I have looked at dozens nay hundreds of photos of vintage Rolex watches, all showing various degrees of vintage appeal, from their patina through to the history of the piece and the stories that come with it.

So the search was on to locate a genuine Vintage Rolex piece, in my case I had set my parameters on a 1680 red, hopefully MF with all it's B&P's. But I soon realised how scare they were and at what cost they would be
Then came the problem of finding a genuine and untampered piece. WHAT A BL**DY NIGHTMARE, how can there be so many frankenstein watches out there!! I thought that I knew a respectable amount about watches, but this field was a whole new minefield!!

So, slowly I started to learn, about Gilt Edge, Chapter Ring, Rail Track, Exclamation Dial, relume, ghost bezels, lug sizes, polished or unpolished etc, etc.

Now very fortunately, for me, I struck up a conversation (via PM) with a fellow Watchprosite member, which soon led to emails being passed back and forth, the member was extremely knowledgeable and very patient. A bit like a master teaching his disciple, no matter what stupid question I would ask they were always quick to guide and educate me. And for that I shall be forever grateful

Now, as I had previously mentioned, i was looking for a Red Sub 1680 with a fantastic patina. For me they filled three things:
1) A classic Sub
3) It had the date.

Now, I live in the far South of the UK, where the wheel, phone and TV have only recently been invented if you get my gist . So purely on a whim, I contacted a small watch & jeweller in town who I knew stocked pre owned Rolex watches.
So I asked the question "Do you have any vintage Rolex watches, such as a Red 1680" No came the reply "But I do have a lovely 5512 from 1961, serial number starting 693*** with SWISS and Exclamation dial at 6 o' clock, gilt dial, chapter ring beautiful patina and sits on a rivet bracelet " Thank you said I "But I am really after a 1680"
But, when I told my fellow collector, he advised me to look more into it more detail. Long story short after phone calls (including one from my mentor to the actual jeweller), emails & visits by myself. And an awful lot of support (including discussions with other collectors) and encouragement. I finally purchased my first vintage Rolex watch.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

My photos do not in any way do the watch justice, the colour of the dial , markers & hands are truly awesome, they just look so warm and can only be appreciated in the flesh. As with the gilt writing and chapter ring. Though its bemusing to see the colour of the markers can vary so much in the different light! The bezel is slightly faded and to top it all the accuracy of the watch itself is beyond belief, for a watch that is 51 years old. I have to say that it is on par with my Explorer II and Patek 5205G. Before, I finish my final words must go to those members (you know who you are) who gave up so much of their time to help & support me in this quest. Without your support, I wouldn't be wearing such a stunning piece.

Thank you

Regards Tony

my friend

May 17th, 2012, 9:39 am #4

Well actually I do.

1) A classic Sub
3) It had the date.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Thank you

Regards Tony

Tony,it will be easy to say you were lucky. But you made it happen, through shear passion and determination! That is a lovely watch, one of my favourites. Great story, thank you for sharing.

andypandy
andypandy

May 17th, 2012, 1:08 pm #5

Well actually I do.

1) A classic Sub
3) It had the date.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Thank you

Regards Tony

It's really a very very nice watch , I love it ! Wear it in good health !

May 17th, 2012, 2:58 pm #6

Well actually I do.

1) A classic Sub
3) It had the date.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Thank you

Regards Tony

congrats!!!! beautiful piece!! wear in good health

May 17th, 2012, 5:26 pm #7

Well actually I do.

1) A classic Sub
3) It had the date.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Thank you

Regards Tony

Wear in good health T---regards

May 17th, 2012, 5:36 pm #8

Well actually I do.

1) A classic Sub
3) It had the date.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Thank you

Regards Tony

something in the end, you've certainly put the hours in looking!

What a lovely watch too! Now I just need to find something for you to part ex this against!! LOL

Jason

(PS once the vintage bug bites....you're in trouble!)

May 17th, 2012, 6:39 pm #9

Well actually I do.

1) A classic Sub
3) It had the date.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Thank you

Regards Tony

nt

Tony
Tony

May 18th, 2012, 1:19 pm #10

Jason, you are right the bug can be quite bad!!!

Something from 1958 maybe a 1675 GMT.

Though I am still toying with maybe getting a 1680 red MF.

Regards

Tony