How to get a Tudor a little more accurate>>>>

Vintage Rolex Discussion

How to get a Tudor a little more accurate>>>>

August 12th, 2012, 6:15 pm #1

I notice my Snowflake was running little fast so I put it up in the timing machine.

Oupps, +22 seconds a day.

So I have to open it up.

At the same time I can see how the movement looks.

Nothing fancy, clean and sober just as it should be.

Then I will adjust the movement with this screw.

15 minutes later on the third attempt it runs good again.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

August 12th, 2012, 6:25 pm #2

Nice Tudor Subbie by the way..

Wear it in good health ..

A.

August 12th, 2012, 6:39 pm #3

I notice my Snowflake was running little fast so I put it up in the timing machine.

So I have to open it up.

You will find that Tudor having the inaccurate cheaper curb pin balance system, that the running rates are far apart in four positions.

That is why a Rolex Micro Stella balance system has fantastic vertical to horizontal running rates.

The inaccuracy of all Tudor calibers results in the fact that a curb pins touch the hairspring, while the Micro Stella free sprung hair spring has no friction points and has mean screws for more accuracy. One hard hit on any curb pin balance system the regulator slides out of position and readjusting is required.
Arthur

August 12th, 2012, 6:47 pm #4

This one is needed some service to get the amplitude running correct.

August 12th, 2012, 6:47 pm #5

Nice Tudor Subbie by the way..

Wear it in good health ..

A.

August 12th, 2012, 7:25 pm #6

You will find that Tudor having the inaccurate cheaper curb pin balance system, that the running rates are far apart in four positions.

That is why a Rolex Micro Stella balance system has fantastic vertical to horizontal running rates.

The inaccuracy of all Tudor calibers results in the fact that a curb pins touch the hairspring, while the Micro Stella free sprung hair spring has no friction points and has mean screws for more accuracy. One hard hit on any curb pin balance system the regulator slides out of position and readjusting is required.
Arthur
I am however amazed at how much better flat hairspring models with curb pins run than many free sprung Rolex works.

1225, 1520...2030...very often run better in positions than the free sprung models.

Of course the more modern the free sprung model...the better it runs.

3135 is almost perfect.

1570...not so perfect.
Last edited by RolexWatchTime on August 12th, 2012, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 12th, 2012, 9:04 pm #7

This one is needed some service to get the amplitude running correct.

You like...did it years ago..Love the matte dial..
Arthur

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited by aakviper on August 12th, 2012, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 12th, 2012, 9:33 pm #8

I am however amazed at how much better flat hairspring models with curb pins run than many free sprung Rolex works.

1225, 1520...2030...very often run better in positions than the free sprung models.

Of course the more modern the free sprung model...the better it runs.

3135 is almost perfect.

1570...not so perfect.
New and old...they do not hold a candle to a free sprung Micro Stella layout.

Why do you think all the top calibers have a hair spring which is free sprung with a type of mean screw layout? Far more accurate system. Less positional error due to gravity pulling on the hair spring rubbing on a curb pin and lacks a real trued balance rim with mean weights to take out any imbalance.

The cheaper curb pin system has a smooth balance rim and is a nightmare to true. I have tried for years to balance a smooth rim. I had to drill into the rim to take weight off in order to take out flat spots. To much material out, rim becomes no good. The curb pin regulator system is why outdated and no adjustment is built in to make a super accurate caliber. Ancient by high end standards.

Take the 727 Valjeux. Rolex tossed the antiquated curb pin system and reworked a Rolex Micro Stella free hair spring system. The kicker was that the SS Daytona was not submitted for chronometer testing, but in essence was and still is deadly accurate for a manual wind caliber because of the balance system.

Arthur

Last edited by aakviper on August 12th, 2012, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 12th, 2012, 10:15 pm #9

Those hairsprings are so stiff they hardly change position when placed stem up or stem down. You should work with a 30's spring.... They are made of peanut butter in comparison.

Perfectly centered between the pins dial up and turn it stem down and it may change the BEAT by 2 milliseconds and the spring can completely REST on the pins with just the gravity of the coils in play.

I'm saying I agree with you....but to say that you can't get a fantastic and consistent reading out of a non free sprung balance is not true either.

I know you are quite the advocate of the free sprung system and I agree with you that it is in theory a superior design and is more advanced....but some would say the same of a Breguet overcoil...however Rolex's most accurate movement uses a flat spring and it is miserable to work on...because of the silly lack of attaching stud on the HS.

August 13th, 2012, 2:02 am #10

So I have to open it up.

factors coming in to play. You can still get excellent results with calibres containing regulator pins, it just takes a little longer. I have sometimes seen better timing results from a 1520 (pins) compared to a 1570 (free sprung), it just depends on how the pins are adjusted. You have to make sure the hairspring is completely centred between the pins (hairspring not touching either pin) with balance in resting position. Then you have to adjust the distance between the pins so that the rate is similar when the watch is running at both fully wound and at half wound. This is because the amplitude will reduce at half wind. If the rate drops at half wind, you have to close the pins a little then test full and half wind again. Another indication is if the rate drops a lot in vertical positions because the amplitude is lower. Once again, reduce the distance between the two pins. Of course, there can be more factors that come in to play but this is the basic idea. With everything set-up perfectly on regulator pins, I have seen a rate difference of less than 5 seconds in 5 different positions. I have even seen it as low as 2 seconds difference.