How much participation would there be in a Papers Database?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

How much participation would there be in a Papers Database?

November 18th, 2011, 12:20 am #1

Mike Wood brought this up a few days ago and there was good response but we wonder what sort of actual numbers of orphan papers are actually out there?

The VRF would not be averse to doing this, imagine the thrill of finding long lost papers on one of your watches! So, we're trying to feel out how we might proceed. We've had a couple of volunteers for the project, one has written a searchable database and one has volunteered to do input and making sure the papers exist.

At this point, the direction we take will depend on the actual number of papers we have to work with, is it dozens? Hundreds?

Another thing, money. We understand that these things have value and I think we should leave it up to the individual whether they charge or not. The important thing is to have access to the papers.

So, if you have papers, post numbers here and maybe we can get this up and running!

November 18th, 2011, 1:38 am #2

Will get back home 1st to dig out my poor "punched" papers with no watches to go with.

Does this include Tudors?
Last edited by LunetteVerde on November 18th, 2011, 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 18th, 2011, 6:20 am #3

Mike Wood brought this up a few days ago and there was good response but we wonder what sort of actual numbers of orphan papers are actually out there?

The VRF would not be averse to doing this, imagine the thrill of finding long lost papers on one of your watches! So, we're trying to feel out how we might proceed. We've had a couple of volunteers for the project, one has written a searchable database and one has volunteered to do input and making sure the papers exist.

At this point, the direction we take will depend on the actual number of papers we have to work with, is it dozens? Hundreds?

Another thing, money. We understand that these things have value and I think we should leave it up to the individual whether they charge or not. The important thing is to have access to the papers.

So, if you have papers, post numbers here and maybe we can get this up and running!

I wish that I had the watch to go with this.

[/IMG]

November 18th, 2011, 6:28 am #4

I've got 3 or 4 only, happy to post them when I get hom..
Colin

November 18th, 2011, 7:09 am #5

November 18th, 2011, 7:49 am #6

November 18th, 2011, 10:46 am #7

I have 4-5 sets of papers I would like to add.

November 18th, 2011, 11:50 am #8

I would be delighted to reunite at least one of these loose certificates with its watch, and a certificate database here on the VRF would be a great portal for achieving this!!

The ideal format would be something similar to the serial number project, with case numbers going up in numerical order.

A simple database with the serial number (obscuring at least one of the last numbers, eg. 224376*), model number or type, and login name of the owner would be all we'd need.

MW
Last edited by mikewood on November 18th, 2011, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 18th, 2011, 12:11 pm #9

Just found an old service guarantee card for one of my Comex Subs amongst my stack of old certs! Result!

November 18th, 2011, 12:36 pm #10

I am currently working on a database with over 350 warranty papers in my possession. When I am finished, I will provide a database indicating variances in the warranty papers to include everything from the dimensions to printer codes. Several of these papers are from the Dallas area.

jP