How much bang for the buck in a new vs vintage watch?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

How much bang for the buck in a new vs vintage watch?

January 5th, 2018, 6:20 pm #1

I just read a very good review of the Sky Dweller on Hodinkee. I guess this is supposed to replace the GMT and add a dubious feature in the annual calendar. The rotating bezel as a way of selecting what the winding crown adjusted also seemed like a fun toy. And the watch might be considered a cleaner package than the old GMT. But the old GMT seemed to get it all done and stay at 38mm while the Sky Dweller (for fashion not function) explodes to 41mm. And as history has shown, mechanically simple is more robust than mechanically complex. The biggest positive in the review that stood out for me is the praise of the build quality of all the elements in the watch. The reviewer also discussed how blingy the precious metal versions felt...but that seems more a reflection of the bloated size. If the watch had stayed at the 38mm size of the original GMT it might have been so overwhelming.

The Sky Dweller and the GMT seem to be perfect subjects in comparing the old vs the new. Another article in Hodinkee was on Smart watches but I could see no value in reading it. I simply glanced at my 43 year old 1013 and realized how the design is still not obsolete, nor using any electrical energy to recharge its batteries every night.

juneja
VRF Member
juneja
VRF Member

January 8th, 2018, 6:45 pm #2

...is a lot smarter than a plug-in watch...