Help with this 5512 dial

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Help with this 5512 dial

August 10th, 2012, 5:36 pm #1

This is my mistake watch - bought it on Ebay from a vendor who was later exposed as being less than candid about his watches. Turned out it had the wrong bezel, which was loose and kept falling off. As you can see, I still haven't been able to replace it with the correct one.

Now I am wondering if the dial is correct, or has been refinished. The crown and lettering do not match exactly anything in the archive. The caseback is dated 1/70. The serial number, which is partly obscured, is in the 2 million range.

Comments/evaluations appreciated.

August 10th, 2012, 9:48 pm #2

it has a slightly different alignment in the SCOC print

but it is original for sure

unfortunately i dont have one of this dials in my archive

cheers from Italy

August 11th, 2012, 10:54 am #3

This is my mistake watch - bought it on Ebay from a vendor who was later exposed as being less than candid about his watches. Turned out it had the wrong bezel, which was loose and kept falling off. As you can see, I still haven't been able to replace it with the correct one.

Now I am wondering if the dial is correct, or has been refinished. The crown and lettering do not match exactly anything in the archive. The caseback is dated 1/70. The serial number, which is partly obscured, is in the 2 million range.

nice dial, original and correct for 2million SN.

August 11th, 2012, 7:12 pm #4

Thank you both. (nt)

August 13th, 2012, 2:49 am #5

it has a slightly different alignment in the SCOC print

but it is original for sure

unfortunately i dont have one of this dials in my archive

cheers from Italy
...last and after the rest of the dial had been printed--the other characteristics of this type of 551x dial are exactly the same, even the slightly off-line dash in SWISS - T-25. But three different dials (including below), three different SCOCs:

Gotta love Rolex.

Best,
T.