Help with a Submariner 5513

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Help with a Submariner 5513

August 19th, 2012, 8:45 pm #1

Hello everyone, I desperately need the assistance of the experts. I have a Rolex Submariner 5513 which I bought from a good and respectable friend a while ago. I never doubted of the authenticity of the watch, until yesterday when I read a post of another VRF member, regarding a similar watch that he just found out was fake. I immediately ran to check the 3 Submriner 5513 I own, and two of them are perfect, but this one.. Here's what I need to know: in the movement it has the following engravings:

MONTRES ROLEX S.A GENEVA SWISS
TWENTY SIX 26 JEWELS
UNADJUSTED

??? Neither of my other 2 Subs ref 5514 have this engraving. I have been doing a lot of research, but the only conclusive thing I found out was that Manufacture des Montres Rolex SA manufactured movements for Rolex, is this true? Any help will be extremely appreciated, I know my friend is a very respectable person, and I know he would respond to me regarding this issue (even though I bought the watch some time ago), but I don't want to tell him if I'm not sure what I'm talking about. Does anyone have reason to believe it can be fake? Thanks in advance for any assistance, and sorry for the long post.

August 19th, 2012, 8:48 pm #2

post some pics...

August 19th, 2012, 9:25 pm #3

Here are some pics of the movement. And I made a typing mistake in my original post, where it says "Submariner 5514", it should obviously say "Submariner 5513" - thanks

The watch is from the 80's, serial 6123025. I'll upload some pics of the dial and the watch in a minute.

August 19th, 2012, 9:39 pm #4

post some pics...
Here are some more pics

August 19th, 2012, 10:17 pm #5

Hello everyone, I desperately need the assistance of the experts. I have a Rolex Submariner 5513 which I bought from a good and respectable friend a while ago. I never doubted of the authenticity of the watch, until yesterday when I read a post of another VRF member, regarding a similar watch that he just found out was fake. I immediately ran to check the 3 Submriner 5513 I own, and two of them are perfect, but this one.. Here's what I need to know: in the movement it has the following engravings:

TWENTY SIX 26 JEWELS
UNADJUSTED

??? Neither of my other 2 Subs ref 5514 have this engraving. I have been doing a lot of research, but the only conclusive thing I found out was that Manufacture des Montres Rolex SA manufactured movements for Rolex, is this true? Any help will be extremely appreciated, I know my friend is a very respectable person, and I know he would respond to me regarding this issue (even though I bought the watch some time ago), but I don't want to tell him if I'm not sure what I'm talking about. Does anyone have reason to believe it can be fake? Thanks in advance for any assistance, and sorry for the long post.
The link below...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/m ... +5513+dial

August 19th, 2012, 10:44 pm #6

TWENTY SIX 26 JEWELS
UNADJUSTED

But the pics are not so clear...

August 19th, 2012, 11:45 pm #7

Antonio, thanks for your response and the link. It looks good to me too, but the engraving made me worry. You know, its the collector's worst nightmare, to buy a fake watch right? So do you think there different kinds of 1520 calibers? and also, do you know what's the name of the piece where the engravings are (is it the bridge)? Thanks in advance for you kind attention and interest, the information you gave me has been very helpful. At least I know there is a similar movement out there!

August 20th, 2012, 3:10 am #8

TWENTY SIX 26 JEWELS
UNADJUSTED

The dial appears to be a MK III maxi. Would be nice to see the coronet though.

Alex
Alex

August 20th, 2012, 3:12 am #9

TWENTY SIX 26 JEWELS
UNADJUSTED

please post some pics of the front to be sure there are no aftermarket parts installed.

August 20th, 2012, 10:33 am #10

TWENTY SIX 26 JEWELS
UNADJUSTED

Fake Rolex movements -- and here I mean movements that pass the eye test -- are virtually nonexistent (in contrast to cases, dials, bezel inserts, etc., where this determination can often be MUCH more subtle). Not to worry.