Help on a Vintage Cosmograph 6240

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Help on a Vintage Cosmograph 6240

March 29th, 2012, 7:11 pm #1

Hi All,

I am a newbie. I am administrating an estate for a relative and I have found a pre-daytona rolex. I had it serviced and the service shop said it was real and that it was valuable. I have been trying to figure out exactly what it may be worth. I don't have pictures now as it is with a jeweler who is appraising it, but to be honest I am not sure vintage Rolexes are his speciality. It has been serviced, but shows wear. The paperwork indicates it is a 6240. It is SS with a black bezel, silver dial, and black sub dials. The band is SS links, but it has a lot of droop to it - it is pretty stretched. The dial indicates "Rolex Cosmograph"

My concern is that it has the old style non-screw down buttons - and my research indicates the 6240 was the first model with scew downs. Could it be some where made without?

Thanks!

March 29th, 2012, 8:21 pm #2

...if you take off the bracelet you will find the model number between the "12" lugs and the serial number between the "6" lugs, both of which would be helpful to know. As would pictures, of course. Could be the watch has a 6240 back but is a 6239 and that's what was noted on the paperwork.

Here is an early one for reference, albeit with DAYTONA and without "Oyster" (1st gen dial):

Good luck & hopefully you can show us some pix of this interesting watch.
Best,
T.

March 29th, 2012, 8:26 pm #3

...figuring a genuine pump pusher 6239 in decent or better condition, ballpark is around $20k-25k USD, depending on several variable factors.
Best,
T.

March 29th, 2012, 8:41 pm #4

...if you take off the bracelet you will find the model number between the "12" lugs and the serial number between the "6" lugs, both of which would be helpful to know. As would pictures, of course. Could be the watch has a 6240 back but is a 6239 and that's what was noted on the paperwork.

Here is an early one for reference, albeit with DAYTONA and without "Oyster" (1st gen dial):

Good luck & hopefully you can show us some pix of this interesting watch.
Best,
T.

That's the unique thing, the inscribed model number is 6240. The serial number is 1439119. The picture you linked to looks exactly like the watch, except the dial does not say Daytona and th pushers are not screw down. This one is a head scratcher. Thanks so much for your help. The jeweler has taken pics - and has had an offer already of $15k, which we both agreed was more than likely low because of he speed he came back to him with it.

Blessings,

Tim

March 29th, 2012, 9:49 pm #5

...the pump-style. Not sure if that entails altering the case in any drastic way (which would be bad, of course)--maybe one of the tech guys will chime in.
An all-correct 6240 is worth over $25k depending on condition--it's considered a pretty rare Rolex reference in the scheme of things. Obviously, for one that is completely messed up and requiring a lot of effort to return to spec, $15k doesn't sound like a terrible deal...depending on how screwed up it is.
Does the dial say "ROLEX OYSTER COSMOGRAPH" or just "ROLEX COSMOGRAPH"?
Best of luck,
T.

dynhm6
VRF Member
dynhm6
VRF Member

March 30th, 2012, 3:07 am #6

...chamfering of the case below the pushers (the furrow's deeper and wider on Oyster cases to make room for the larger pusher body), but, other than that, the pushers are functionally interchangeable. I also know that jewelers used to receive requests from Daytona owners to swap the pump pushers out for the more stable screw pushers, but I've never heard of anyone asking for the reverse. Not that it couldn't happen, but I think it'd be kinda odd.

March 30th, 2012, 1:58 pm #7

nt