Help needed Rolex Bracelet 78360 Fake OR Original?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Help needed Rolex Bracelet 78360 Fake OR Original?

November 29th, 2017, 9:14 pm #1

Hey VRF,

Looking for some help authenticating this 78360 bracelet I have. I been trying to track down pictures all day to compare against this bracelet I have. I couple things throw some red flags and I'm not sure if this is normal or not for this particular bracelet.

I do know that there are some differences from year to year with the crown on the clasp and other engraving styles.

The bracelet is stamped "VE" which from my research tells me this is a 1980 date code.

there are some lines going across the inside of some links, not all. Almost looks like factory machine marks or defects.

if the forum members could please review some pictures I have taken to help spread some light on this and put my mind at ease, I would greatly appreciate the help.

November 30th, 2017, 10:30 am #2

Most have a blank space between Swiss and Made, but some like yours and mine has Swissmade.
Mine is a G code as well.
The 78360 in the widest link is the same stamp as a 78360 I have.
I would not worry.
The ends look service items however.

November 30th, 2017, 2:40 pm #3

Thanks for your response.

Just wondering if the coronet on the clasp looks off to you? The bottom doesn't look as oval as others that I have seen.

Also, the clasp seems to be thicker steel than I am used to seeing. Normally the clasps are more on the thinner side. Perhaps rolex made more of a strong thick clasp on later 78360 bracelets?

Also, has anyone ever seen those lines on the inside of the links before? Clearly manufacturing marks of some kind that were never polished off all the way.

November 30th, 2017, 4:53 pm #4

there are more variations on the clasp top as well, with straight sides on the bottom as well as sides with a shape (hard to explain).
I think this bracelet has been renovated/restored, with new (rolex) middle links. The marks are perhaps from the tools used.

November 30th, 2017, 7:09 pm #5

Hey VRF,

Looking for some help authenticating this 78360 bracelet I have. I been trying to track down pictures all day to compare against this bracelet I have. I couple things throw some red flags and I'm not sure if this is normal or not for this particular bracelet.

I do know that there are some differences from year to year with the crown on the clasp and other engraving styles.

The bracelet is stamped "VE" which from my research tells me this is a 1980 date code.

there are some lines going across the inside of some links, not all. Almost looks like factory machine marks or defects.

if the forum members could please review some pictures I have taken to help spread some light on this and put my mind at ease, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Genuine

November 30th, 2017, 7:37 pm #6

very interesting stuff. I guess you can never be too carful when there are so many passable fakes out there these days, it has made me paranoid to say the least. Very thankful for having VRF to make collecting that much safer.

November 30th, 2017, 9:55 pm #7

Hey VRF,

genuine, maybe only the 580 ends are service