Has anyone seen this sort of "bubbleback" before????

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Has anyone seen this sort of "bubbleback" before????

May 8th, 2012, 4:46 am #1

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

May 8th, 2012, 5:57 am #2

That is a first series. You have the first automatic movement there known as a 520 or AR. They made a later 520 AR as well but it is completely different.

This is an 8 3/4 ligne fitted completely inside the automatic mechanism. The first ones used a clutch in the winding stack that looks like a lotus flower.

Very cool dial and very cool watch in 9k.

May 8th, 2012, 6:56 am #3

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Easy to see the similarities to the 3646 construction , nice find

May 8th, 2012, 7:36 am #4

That is a first series. You have the first automatic movement there known as a 520 or AR. They made a later 520 AR as well but it is completely different.

This is an 8 3/4 ligne fitted completely inside the automatic mechanism. The first ones used a clutch in the winding stack that looks like a lotus flower.

Very cool dial and very cool watch in 9k.
with their signing explaining their watchmakers in the world precisely where is what in the movement?

May 8th, 2012, 8:13 am #5

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
kampfschwimmer that is.....very nice example. kind regards. achim

May 8th, 2012, 8:20 am #6

with their signing explaining their watchmakers in the world precisely where is what in the movement?

SInce this was really the first movement of its kind in the world EVER....that when one would open the back....even if they had been working on Rolex oysters....it would be kind of like WTF? LOL!

So the instructions are there to tell them sort of how to begin the dismantling process. This one that is pictured is a little later...with less instructions.

The first ones had this.

Much more instructions. Because this was before the advent of the mainspring with the slipping bridle...there had to be some preload on the mainspring I think. Mine had been converted but I saw some picture of the lotus clutch spring somewhere recently....oh yes in Dowling's book. He has a pretty nice spread on this movement.

May 8th, 2012, 8:22 am #7

Later they went to 2 piece cases for the stainless and the stainless and gold models.

The solid gold pieces were 3 piece up until the very end of bubbleback production until they also finally went to 2 piece construction.

The steel and gold models that are 2 piece are really three piece with the bezel threading into the case frame, not to be removed except by the factory at service presumably.
Last edited by RolexWatchTime on May 8th, 2012, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 8th, 2012, 9:00 am #8

I really love this design but suspect water ingress lead to better alternatives ?

Hope your well mate , best wishes from down under

May 8th, 2012, 9:11 am #9

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
There is no number that I can find - the case back is engraved 1939.

May 8th, 2012, 9:26 am #10

I would bet the production is earlier than 39. By 39 we have the NA 620 mvt. though some overlapping is possible/probable.

You might check the hallmarks to see if you can date it that way.