Guys, I need your help: Questions about correct 16750 hands >>>

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Guys, I need your help: Questions about correct 16750 hands >>>

April 25th, 2012, 4:43 am #1

Today I took delivery of this 9.84 million serial ref. 16750 GMT-Master bought from the VRM. One thing that kept nagging me as I stared at the watch was the seconds hand. To me, it looks like the luminous dot on the seconds hands is "too close" to the tip of the hand, making the pointer look too short. If that is the case, then that puts into question whether these hands are correct (aftermarket?). All the photos of other 16750s I've seen posted on the web look like their seconds hands have a longer pointer with the luminous dot further back.

Were there factory variations to the 16750 hands? Are the hands on this watch correct? Are they aftermarket?

I emailed the seller and he thinks the hands are original.

Hopefully, someone with experience with 16750 hands can chime in as to whether they see anything wrong here.

I'm trying to decide whether I should return the watch for a full refund.
The pics of the watch I received today:
When the luminous dot is over the date window it covers half of it.

When the luminous dot is over the 12-hour "Mercedes" hand it does not cover up the 12-hour hand's pointer

Look at the position of the luminous dot in relation to the letter "R" in CHRONOMETER on the dial in this picture with the last picture of Orchi's watch below. Same time: 7:00:21 PM.

<u></u>
Now compare with the 16750 with gloss dial posted in the Dial Archive by Orchi.
Here's the post in the Dial Archive:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/540360/m ... d+by+Orchi

On Orchi's watch the luminous dot does not even reach the date window.

On Orchi's watch the luminous dot covers the pointer of the 12-hour hand.

Last edited by Durable2 on April 25th, 2012, 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2012, 5:38 am #2

Anybody have a clue? Aaviper?

April 25th, 2012, 5:51 am #3

April 25th, 2012, 5:57 am #4

I too can't tell either unless it was mounted on a watch or compared side-by-side

April 25th, 2012, 1:59 pm #5

Today I took delivery of this 9.84 million serial ref. 16750 GMT-Master bought from the VRM. One thing that kept nagging me as I stared at the watch was the seconds hand. To me, it looks like the luminous dot on the seconds hands is "too close" to the tip of the hand, making the pointer look too short. If that is the case, then that puts into question whether these hands are correct (aftermarket?). All the photos of other 16750s I've seen posted on the web look like their seconds hands have a longer pointer with the luminous dot further back.

Were there factory variations to the 16750 hands? Are the hands on this watch correct? Are they aftermarket?

Hopefully, someone with experience with 16750 hands can chime in as to whether they see anything wrong here.

When the luminous dot is over the 12-hour "Mercedes" hand it does not cover up the 12-hour hand's pointer

Look at the position of the luminous dot in relation to the letter "R" in CHRONOMETER on the dial in this picture with the last picture of Orchi's watch below. Same time: 7:00:21 PM.

<u></u>

I tried to find some pictures where the second hand is in similar position to your pics. I see your point.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

April 25th, 2012, 2:24 pm #6

Rolex knows how to design small details. I think there is no way in hell they would design the second hand such that the luminous dot would cover the date as it swept by.

April 25th, 2012, 3:44 pm #7

<u></u>

Dug these pics out of my archive of two 16750s that were once mine:

The matt dial indeed has a longer point on the second hand:

[/IMG]

The gloss dial has a shorter point second hand like yours:

[/IMG]

Never realised there was a difference until you started this thread!!

Cheers,

Nick.

April 25th, 2012, 8:41 pm #8

<u></u>

The lume dot on the seconds hand is just to the left of the date window as the hand passes 3 o'clock.

April 26th, 2012, 2:58 am #9

<u></u>

I have emailed the seller and he's offering to let me hold onto the watch for a week and decide then.

I'm still on the fence on this issue since the watch also has Rolex Japan factory service papers from circa 2006. I don't have them in my possession yet. They were supposed to ship with the watch, but the seller says they will be mailed to me.

He did send me these pics of the papers (I'm the one who blacked out the rest of the serial no.).

Also, Nick B. your two pictures are intriguing, especially the second one. I tried to recreate that shot with this watch:

Here's my recreation (I'm still not 100% sure they are the same seconds hand):

The same shot at a different angle:

Here's Nick B.'s shot:

If only there was a picture of Nick's watch with the seconds hand over the date window.

Probably the best option would be for me to send the watch off to Rolex Dallas and see if they can authenticate the hands.

April 26th, 2012, 10:03 pm #10

I also have a glossy dial. Difference is mine is an early 16700 but the relationship of the second hand matches yours to a T.