Follow on From DD crown post a few days ago >

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Follow on From DD crown post a few days ago >

August 11th, 2011, 2:22 pm #1

Where George asked how to tell if a WG DD has a SS crown

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/m ... own+in+SS-

Here is an example of a SS crown hiding on a Platinum watch: You can see it is an underline where it should be a single dot and the profile is too fat for an 180X watch.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/m ... Shipped+WW

Does anyone else think the diamonds on the dial look suspicious too?

Steve

August 11th, 2011, 3:37 pm #2

a crown with 2 dots !! So all original

August 11th, 2011, 4:25 pm #3

Here is an example of a SS crown hiding on a Platinum watch: You can see it is an underline where it should be a single dot and the profile is too fat for an 180X watch.

Steve
about this 18206 which I bought recently. I was not aware of the intricacies of the crown markings, and I cannot even inspect the watch now to see if the crown is PT or not, as it is with RSC for overhaul.

RSC has given me no indication that the crown is not correct to the watch, but I will ask them.

The watch is a 95 S series.

August 11th, 2011, 7:46 pm #4

They've just spent top money on a watch with a SS crown, aftermarket diamonds (on the dial) and a lesser desirable concealed clasp bracelet; It will be near impossible to find a loose PT1804 dial too:These points are a big deal on PT's.

Like yours (on Plexi DD's also) a factory PT dial is different to WG. The Baguettes should be 50% longer and the brilliants 50% larger with the stone completely dominating the setting which should also look sharp and part of the diamond itself. The PT1804 sold on VRM is aftermarket diamonds added to a WG dial. They are a larger size but the settings are horrible, the baguettes are positioned too far inboard, are the wrong length, lower quality and are not even the same size as each other. They don't jump off the dial and smack you in the face like the original Rolex item should. The Rolex letter is a scam also: it is a quote for a replacement watch of that spec, not an evaluation on that watch.

Just so you know there was a lot of aftermarket diamonds fitted to standard dials in the 1980's out of America. At that time they used to bling everything: you see a lot on VRM with aftermarkets from a bygone age recently.

As for your crown, I think it should be a single dot too. But I know nothing of the modern watches so I would just ask Rolex if I were you.

Cheers,

Steve

Here's a how a correct PT1804 dial should look

August 11th, 2011, 8:53 pm #5

I always thought overal +20% in carat for diamonds pt vs gold?

also, the bezel should have 44 diamonds instead of the 46 for gold DD's right? Or does this only float for the SQ models?

few edits my bad
Last edited by dalevito on August 11th, 2011, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 11th, 2011, 9:05 pm #6

I was sure mine was wrong so took it to Rolex to be pulled and they said it was OK. I've seen so many differing types for 1804 I am not sure myself which is correct. For the diamonds I was told 50 points larger, but again the only thing I am positive about is they are higher and wider and should jump off the dial.

How is your report/site going?

best,

Steve

August 11th, 2011, 10:40 pm #7

Steve
am not an "expert" on Rolex Presidents but I called Rolex Dallas concerning the watch and the "Rolex Center Provenance" accompanying it. Indeed this watch was inspected/evaluated (Rolex Centers term) by Rolex Dallas as per serial # (see pic) with an evaluation being completed and documented. SHE CLEARLY STATED the watch would not have completed inspection/evaluation if it was deemed incorrect or having nonoriginal parts. I know for a fact Rolex Dallas is very strict. The buyer is a VERY PROMINENT MEMBER of this forum and well respected in the Vintage Rolex dealer netwok outside this forum. I have spoke to him several times today. AS ALWAYS if any buyer is unhappy with their purchase from me I will happily refund their money.
[/IMG]

August 12th, 2011, 12:48 am #8

It was a discussion point earlier in the week and was a good example. Especially as all the rhodium experts hadn't noticed an SS part against a WG case. Had it been yellow I am sure everyone would have noticed and pointed it out.

Anyway, If your buyer is happy that's all that matters - but know this: if you post a watch for sale on a watch forum (especially in here) then expect it to stand up to public scrutiny and discussion, this after all a discussion forum first - place of business second.

As for the document: either Rolex got it wrong or isn't it more possible that the original document owner had two or more watches and swapped removable parts back and forth to get the letters they wanted? There are lots of explanations and ways to get a bad watch Rolex authenticated if you've got enough watches and/or parts

best to you,

Steve

Perhaps one of the moderators would like to comment further at this point?
Last edited by 2wsxcde3 on August 12th, 2011, 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 12th, 2011, 1:19 am #9

concerning this watch. You, and most dealers/members, know who the buyer is and he knows 10 times more than I do about these older Platinum Presidents. Most of my sales are actually to other dealers and again if something isn't correct or they (he) aren't satisfied with the watch then they are more than welcome to send back for a full refund. The buyer knows this as well. This seldom happens, but it is my "return policy" nonetheless. I want every buyer to be happy with their purchase...otherwise it takes the "fun" out of it. rgds
Last edited by motomc1 on August 12th, 2011, 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 12th, 2011, 1:42 am #10

watches can change hands for years with many owners not knowing what they have. Like I said, this is a discussion forum, if someone wants to say I am wrong and follow up the discussion I am very willing to hold my hand up and say I made a mistake if that is the case. Just so you know, I personally would never accept any brilliant setting outside of the ones shown here:

Last edited by 2wsxcde3 on August 12th, 2011, 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.