Explorer Blackout..Not A New Design Concept..

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Explorer Blackout..Not A New Design Concept..

December 13th, 2011, 5:01 pm #1

You can see it on this very early Explorer: a 6350, the same as that worn by Tenzing Norgay when the HT team stood on the summit of Mt. Everest.

The watch's radium lume plots have blackened over time...

This watch has a wonderful waffle/ piepan dial; and still has the correct + crown..

But not the correct bracelet; but with the incorrect Big Logo in spanking condition, what is there not to like?

This watch also has unusual engravings on the inner CB; the 6350 has been crossed out, and "6352" engraved below as replacement.

Could this indicate the fact that this watch is different from the usual 6350, and has a different(thicker) bezel? To better withstand more adverse conditions, like 26,000 ft of altitude, and temperatures of minus --- ??? I think PS has the answer!

And also, as a consequence of ridicule that is elicited when people see my totally unfocussed and random collection (and worse, not restricted to Rolex!), I have decided to make some effort to put some semblance for order and logic into a 'new look" collection. Very much an effort in progress. So here is one theme; Explorer 6350, and it's siblings 6610 and 1016 , all Gilt CR.

And maybe, stretch the "Explorer" theme to include their big cousins, the other Explorer dialled Rollies.

Excuse the rambling; Merry Christmas & Happy Good Hunting New Year!!!

December 13th, 2011, 5:53 pm #2

many thanks for the great pictures.

John Ireland

December 13th, 2011, 6:30 pm #3

You can see it on this very early Explorer: a 6350, the same as that worn by Tenzing Norgay when the HT team stood on the summit of Mt. Everest.

This watch has a wonderful waffle/ piepan dial; and still has the correct + crown..

But not the correct bracelet; but with the incorrect Big Logo in spanking condition, what is there not to like?

This watch also has unusual engravings on the inner CB; the 6350 has been crossed out, and "6352" engraved below as replacement.

Could this indicate the fact that this watch is different from the usual 6350, and has a different(thicker) bezel? To better withstand more adverse conditions, like 26,000 ft of altitude, and temperatures of minus --- ??? I think PS has the answer!

And also, as a consequence of ridicule that is elicited when people see my totally unfocussed and random collection (and worse, not restricted to Rolex!), I have decided to make some effort to put some semblance for order and logic into a 'new look" collection. Very much an effort in progress. So here is one theme; Explorer 6350, and it's siblings 6610 and 1016 , all Gilt CR.

And maybe, stretch the "Explorer" theme to include their big cousins, the other Explorer dialled Rollies.

...needs to have their head examined--your watches are absolutely fantastic and I'm very glad you're sharing them with us.
I mean a 6200 with OCC text--holy mackerel!
And that waffle Explorer is simply great. And so are the rest of these beauties.
I only wish I had your "unfocused" style!
Enjoy & Season's Greetings,
Tom

Last edited by tomvox1 on December 14th, 2011, 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 13th, 2011, 6:40 pm #4

the question is : is also the case engraved "6352" or "6350" ???
usually 6352 cases have special dials ( stepped or honeycombs ) but the bezel is the same you have in 6350.
btw congrats for the 6200 .... maybe I have already seen this watch .... LLLOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

December 13th, 2011, 6:47 pm #5

The British Expedition team that conquered Mt Everest in May 1953
didn't wear the black dialed 369 dial we see on the 6350's but instead
they got the 6098 with white dial delivered by Rolex as prototypes...

Here in the middle is such a unrestaured white dialed 6098, it's George Bands 1953 Mt. Everest Rolex,
on the right his 6150 he wore at first ascent of Kangchen Junga in 1955, on the left Mike Wood let his
explorer signed on the strap;-)

Conquest of Mt Everest in May 1953 was the start of Rolex tool watch evolution...
Both 6350 & 6204 from 2 second quarter 1953, thus from April - May - June 1953..

For you information, here's a earlier post I dedicated to the wonderful story of these Mt. Everest Rolex:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/m ... st+%3B-%29

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/m ... ----------

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/m ... +%21%21%21

December 13th, 2011, 6:51 pm #6

...my first post on this board be in response to a photo of a vintage panerai!
I looked in my references and am stumped, is it a transitional?
The new 372 is as close as I will get, and this is proving elusive!

I'm recently also hooked on vintage rolex - spent way too much time reading and re-reading posts here in a feeble attempt to understand what makes them good and not so good.
Now onto 5512s, 5513s and 1680 red subs!

Thanks for the great photos mun chiew!

greg in denver
Last edited by fantastictime on December 13th, 2011, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 13th, 2011, 9:02 pm #7

The British Expedition team that conquered Mt Everest in May 1953
didn't wear the black dialed 369 dial we see on the 6350's but instead
they got the 6098 with white dial delivered by Rolex as prototypes...

Here in the middle is such a unrestaured white dialed 6098, it's George Bands 1953 Mt. Everest Rolex,
on the right his 6150 he wore at first ascent of Kangchen Junga in 1955, on the left Mike Wood let his
explorer signed on the strap;-)

Conquest of Mt Everest in May 1953 was the start of Rolex tool watch evolution...
Both 6350 & 6204 from 2 second quarter 1953, thus from April - May - June 1953..

For you information, here's a earlier post I dedicated to the wonderful story of these Mt. Everest Rolex:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/m ... st+%3B-%29

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/m ... ----------

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/m ... +%21%21%21

the right is what I have always thought of as the classic honeycomb dial. The one on the left is a much tighter pattern and I'm not sure what the correct name for that would be. Years ago I had a 5505 Everest with cream honeycomb patterned dial (as the watch on the right)...but my current 5505 Everest has a silvery/white dial in the pattern on the left. I'm sure Rolex wasn't giving it as much thought back then as we do today, but any information on the two dials would be appreciated.

John Ireland

December 13th, 2011, 10:47 pm #8

the honeycomb white/cream dial .. like in this example :

December 13th, 2011, 10:56 pm #9

the question is : is also the case engraved "6352" or "6350" ???
usually 6352 cases have special dials ( stepped or honeycombs ) but the bezel is the same you have in 6350.
btw congrats for the 6200 .... maybe I have already seen this watch .... LLLOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
6350 and 6532 is that ONLY 6350 is a "chronometer" watch, while 6352 is without the chronometer certification on the dial , such as this one :

so I would bet that the case of your black honeycomb "ovettone" is signed "6350" due to the chronometer dial.

December 13th, 2011, 11:24 pm #10

the honeycomb white/cream dial .. like in this example :

had a s/gold or gold case with an honeycomb dial ??