Exotic Dials are they worth it

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Exotic Dials are they worth it

May 11th, 2012, 2:29 pm #1

I have been collecting Rolexes for a number of years and have a goo number of watches. I do not have any real "exotic dial" rolexes, No Paul Newmans, no rail dials. I do have 3 Tudor Monte Carlos ( A home plate, a 2 register and a 3 register Monte Carlo.
My guestion to the Forum is whether Exotic Dials are worth the premium.

I know for a Newman, it raises the price about $20m. There are no alternatives to the home plate or 2 register monte carlo, but the 3 Register vs the regular big block could be $4m-$5m. And the rail dial from a few hundred to a couple thousand for sea dwellers.

I just wanted to get feedback about what you all feel

jatucka
VRF Member
jatucka
VRF Member

May 11th, 2012, 2:51 pm #2

i'm afraid more than this my friend

cheers from Italy

May 11th, 2012, 3:03 pm #3

So my question is do you think it is worth the premium. We also have the cream explorer II, Maxi dials etc

May 11th, 2012, 3:08 pm #4

there is also the underlined dial and the double swiss dial as well as the tropical dial, the sigma dial, the patrizzi dial and the inverted 6 dial? I know I must have missed some, but you should get my point? Are these worth the premiums

May 11th, 2012, 3:15 pm #5

If someone pays it, it is worth the premium. (nt)

May 11th, 2012, 3:16 pm #6

+1 Simple supply and demand (nt)
-Perpetual Knowledge-

jatucka
VRF Member
jatucka
VRF Member

May 11th, 2012, 3:20 pm #7

there is also the underlined dial and the double swiss dial as well as the tropical dial, the sigma dial, the patrizzi dial and the inverted 6 dial? I know I must have missed some, but you should get my point? Are these worth the premiums
it depends

for me some YES, they worth

some others (again, for me) less

but it depends from your way to "see" and to "feel" your collection

cheers from Italy

fatboyharris
VRF Member

May 11th, 2012, 3:23 pm #8

I have been collecting Rolexes for a number of years and have a goo number of watches. I do not have any real "exotic dial" rolexes, No Paul Newmans, no rail dials. I do have 3 Tudor Monte Carlos ( A home plate, a 2 register and a 3 register Monte Carlo.

I know for a Newman, it raises the price about $20m. There are no alternatives to the home plate or 2 register monte carlo, but the 3 Register vs the regular big block could be $4m-$5m. And the rail dial from a few hundred to a couple thousand for sea dwellers.

the beautiful detail on a PN dial, some may say its worth the extra money, however in real life size I'm alway disappointed as IMHO the real detail is so small its almost lost completely.

regards

John
Last edited by fatboyharris on May 11th, 2012, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldbronco
VRF Member
oldbronco
VRF Member

May 11th, 2012, 6:21 pm #9

my AD, who is also a friend, says the value of a watch is in the eye of the buyer. I agree. it depends on what your watch lust titer is at the time.

seve1939
VRF Member
seve1939
VRF Member

May 11th, 2012, 7:32 pm #10

by primarily, Investor/Speculators who say they are Collectors. And supported by many Dealers who also say they are Collectors. Regardless of what the EXPERTS say the Market is soft and overpriced. ONLY BUY what you LIKE, and don't be afraid to say NO IT'S TOOO MUCH. Check out Tuscanyrose' a/k/a Da Real JBuckly web site