Exclamation dots...

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Exclamation dots...

February 12th, 2012, 5:06 pm #1

As the debate continues about the relevance of the dots, is it just me who has noticed that of all the features on the late 50's/early 60's Rolex sports dials, it is the most frequent to have fallen off? If I were a betting man I would say they were definitely added to existing dial configurations, for a reason which we are yet unaware but probably radiation related. If that were the case, the quality controls of adding the dot may not have been up to usual standards, explaining the regular sightings of missing dots.

Here are two examples of the phenomenon on what are otherwise perfect dials. Kevin

YetiBiker
VRF Member
YetiBiker
VRF Member

February 12th, 2012, 5:18 pm #2

Good observation Kevin

February 12th, 2012, 5:22 pm #3

As the debate continues about the relevance of the dots, is it just me who has noticed that of all the features on the late 50's/early 60's Rolex sports dials, it is the most frequent to have fallen off? If I were a betting man I would say they were definitely added to existing dial configurations, for a reason which we are yet unaware but probably radiation related. If that were the case, the quality controls of adding the dot may not have been up to usual standards, explaining the regular sightings of missing dots.

Here are two examples of the phenomenon on what are otherwise perfect dials. Kevin

...when someone is comparing dials with the same font and asking "why does one have the Ex Point and the other doesn't?" it's good to keep in mind a simple potential answer: the damn thing fell off!

Best,
T.

February 12th, 2012, 5:23 pm #4

I had some talks about a different theory... which somehow sounded very convincing to me.
Different then we all expected. But not unlogical. Even quite ok to me...

But i am not the one to tell it. The person in question might drop it one day...

February 12th, 2012, 5:29 pm #5

who is to say how many lum dots were added for looks, that is an issue that seems to be overlooked here.

So that makes it even more interesting..of which ones were original to the dial.

Also many a dot fell off when the watchmaker was placing the dial and movement into the case again, just one brush of the dot and it would fell off..notice where the dot is in relation to the case lip.
Last edited by aakviper on February 12th, 2012, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatboyharris
VRF Member

February 12th, 2012, 5:31 pm #6

fatboyharris
VRF Member

February 12th, 2012, 5:34 pm #7

who is to say how many lum dots were added for looks, that is an issue that seems to be overlooked here.

So that makes it even more interesting..of which ones were original to the dial.

Also many a dot fell off when the watchmaker was placing the dial and movement into the case again, just one brush of the dot and it would fell off..notice where the dot is in relation to the case lip.
If not for a reason!

regards

John
Last edited by fatboyharris on February 12th, 2012, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 12th, 2012, 5:46 pm #8

Sometimes the simple things make sense. My observation is that this dot is the only thing that can fall off the dial, what else could possibly fall off?

Best,

K

February 12th, 2012, 5:52 pm #9

They are only slightly bigger.

Maybe the lume plots weren't applied directly to the gilt dial, perhaps a base product first to ensure they stayed put? Unlike the exclamation dots which appear to have been added directly.

Just my observations.

Kevin
Last edited by tommo99 on February 12th, 2012, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 12th, 2012, 6:03 pm #10

True, I have even seen them fall off....and watchmakers have this pencil tool where air is vacume blown on the dial to remove dust etc, it would not surprise me to learn that many of these small lume were lost that way.

best,

K