Estate sale pickup - interesting numbers

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Estate sale pickup - interesting numbers

February 3rd, 2018, 7:46 pm #1

Pickuped up this unknown watch at a local estate sale for $10. Had a feeling that it was worth the asking price...

Came home, cleaned it up (i.e. new crystal, clean the case). Turned out to be a an Rolex Speedking, model 4220 with absolutely crisp numbers, original dial, original hands, and a perfectly functional crown.

**** So, the first thing I did was to call the guy I bought the watch from, explained what he sold me, and offered more money. I'm sure some of the old timers remember a particular post from a member (I believe from New York) who proudly bragged about coming across a number of GMT/SUB bezels and inserts ... and explaining to the owner that "it's just a bunch of Timex parts" - I never ever ever going to behave in such a way.

Another interesting observation, this is the first Rolex I have ever seen with serial and model numbers on the same side (@ 6 o'clock) .... any one knows of any other examples????

Vlad

Last edited by oldempirellc on February 3rd, 2018, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 4th, 2018, 1:49 am #2

Very nice that you contacted the seller, good man!

February 4th, 2018, 1:50 am #3

Pickuped up this unknown watch at a local estate sale for $10. Had a feeling that it was worth the asking price...

Came home, cleaned it up (i.e. new crystal, clean the case). Turned out to be a an Rolex Speedking, model 4220 with absolutely crisp numbers, original dial, original hands, and a perfectly functional crown.

**** So, the first thing I did was to call the guy I bought the watch from, explained what he sold me, and offered more money. I'm sure some of the old timers remember a particular post from a member (I believe from New York) who proudly bragged about coming across a number of GMT/SUB bezels and inserts ... and explaining to the owner that "it's just a bunch of Timex parts" - I never ever ever going to behave in such a way.

Another interesting observation, this is the first Rolex I have ever seen with serial and model numbers on the same side (@ 6 o'clock) .... any one knows of any other examples????

Vlad

February 4th, 2018, 12:24 pm #4

Vlad
In the late 40s and early 50s.

I’ve revently had a couple.

Enjoy

Ross

February 4th, 2018, 3:01 pm #5

cannot even imagine not contacting the seller - we all have only 1 reputation

February 4th, 2018, 3:02 pm #6

In the late 40s and early 50s.

I’ve revently had a couple.

Enjoy

Ross
If you can post some photos, would love to see the numbers