Early 5513 closed-6 feet-first dial ... and 1570?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Early 5513 closed-6 feet-first dial ... and 1570?

November 14th, 2011, 12:34 am #1

Requesting your help on a research project:

I'd been searching for information about this dial on a 5513 with a case-back dated '67; serial around 2M. I'm really feeling appreciation for all of the forum contributors over the years, and also for RichardC who generously runs this site so I can slog through the old posts. Thanks all!

I finally found the right search terms to find a thread that seems to match this dial:

- feet-first,
- closed "6"
- aligned "f" and "t" crossbars
- two-lines,
- depth on top

If it is original, it would be a transitional period, Mk 3, ft-first, LC made dial. Seems to match date and serial range.

Did I get that right? Is it rare?

One wrinkle with this watch is that it has a movement with 1570 on the bridge. So either someone (a) installed a new bridge during a repair, or (b) swapped in a newer movement.

Is there a basic way to identify an underlying 1520/1530 movement? Has anyone encountered other 5513's (without serialized movements, I believe) where someone just swapped in a 1570?

November 14th, 2011, 1:03 am #2

2M should not be maxi dial, imo

November 14th, 2011, 1:22 am #3

I have a II.67 caseback on a meters first 5513 with a 1.7 mil serial #. I question a 2 mil serial number with a 67 case back.

November 14th, 2011, 4:05 am #4

I'd been searching for information about this dial on a 5513 with a case-back dated '67; serial around 2M. I'm really feeling appreciation for all of the forum contributors over the years, and also for RichardC who generously runs this site so I can slog through the old posts. Thanks all!

I finally found the right search terms to find a thread that seems to match this dial:

- feet-first,
- closed "6"
- two-lines,
- depth on top

If it is original, it would be a transitional period, Mk 3, ft-first, LC made dial. Seems to match date and serial range.

One wrinkle with this watch is that it has a movement with 1570 on the bridge. So either someone (a) installed a new bridge during a repair, or (b) swapped in a newer movement.

Is there a basic way to identify an underlying 1520/1530 movement? Has anyone encountered other 5513's (without serialized movements, I believe) where someone just swapped in a 1570?

It's actually a IV.67 with a serial of 1.92M

Does that seem to be a more appropriate combination?

November 14th, 2011, 4:14 am #5

I think that dial looks to be later than 67. Fonts, plots, etc.?
Serial numbers are sometimes fuzzy but I think a 1.9 could be a 67.

November 14th, 2011, 6:45 am #6

- feet-first,
- closed "6"
- two-lines,
- depth on top

which can safely be seen on low 5 to 5.7/8 mil serials. Not sure they were ever used a service dials, as they were a brief run.

Ross

November 14th, 2011, 2:15 pm #7

- feet-first,
- closed "6"
- two-lines,
- depth on top

...that the case reference 5513 (and not 5512) is engraved between the lugs at 12:00, before you talk about a possible movement swap.

Seems like there are a lot of inconsistencies with this particular watch.

November 14th, 2011, 2:23 pm #8

- feet-first,
- closed "6"
- two-lines,
- depth on top

Ive personally handled this watch, its a 1.8 or 1.9 million serial (can't remember exactly) serial 5513, and the dial is a service dial from the 1970's. The correct dial for this watch would be a meters first dial or an early feet first dial.
Last edited by Sub-Dweller on November 14th, 2011, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 14th, 2011, 3:49 pm #9

- feet-first,
- closed "6"
- two-lines,
- depth on top

Thanks all ... here's a link to the watch on eBay - link

In the old thread that I linked to in the first post, from April, rocco says that IV.67 could have been a f-f transitional period. There's also a set of three images there, from tomwatch, of which this dial matches the third one.

Michael, do you think that the "closed 6 f-f" is a picture of a production dial from that period, that was also used as a service dial in the 70's, or just a service dial?

November 14th, 2011, 11:42 pm #10

I think the dial is a service dial....here's the story. I saw this watch in the owner collection 2-3 months ago, it was fitted with a 5512 FF 4line service dial...the RSC back in the late 1970's had accendintely fitted a 5512 dial to this 5513. He, also had a 5512 PCG with a fat unpolished case fitted with the dial that is now on the 5513 in question. He switched the dials, because he wanted to keep the 5512.