TurboWatch
VRF Member
TurboWatch
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 3:29 am #1

March 12th, 2012, 3:41 am #2

yes probably he knows

March 12th, 2012, 4:12 am #3

I am just starting to dive into the world of vintage Rolex and I'm curious as to what tips you off that this one is fake. I am not doubting, merely learning.

Thank you for your time.

May the force be with you........................Always!

Being "Individual" is SO expensive!

"Always remember, you can't buy class" -Dad

It's so hard to see how this elegant beauty was a war watch! Man, them Italians do everything in style!

TurboWatch
VRF Member
TurboWatch
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 4:48 am #4

yes probably he knows
about the same watch. Sorry about that Jed

The master has spoken: a fake it is !

figcar
VRF Member
figcar
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 5:06 am #5

I am just starting to dive into the world of vintage Rolex and I'm curious as to what tips you off that this one is fake. I am not doubting, merely learning.

Thank you for your time.

May the force be with you........................Always!

Being "Individual" is SO expensive!

"Always remember, you can't buy class" -Dad

It's so hard to see how this elegant beauty was a war watch! Man, them Italians do everything in style!
can't tell from the pictures.

1. Is it a watch that has been built from genuine parts (dial and case back) but not original to movement and case? Or are the parts not genuine and authentic...the dial reworked to be something it isn't, the case back engraved and in the wrong manner?

2. Is there something in the numbers that is not right?

3. Is there a claim being made against the seller that they are dishonest...and if so, what is the basis for the claim? A prior history of selling fakes?

Part of my confusion is that I see so many parts being sold on various sites including on our own Market that we come back to that age old question of what is a fake? We aren't talking about the actual bible that still holds the bullet that it stopped from hitting Sgt. York's heart. We are talking about lots of people in our hobby who are building their "grails"...putting a PN dial on a Daytona...putting meter first dials on their favorit sub...changing their 6610 to a gilt dial...putting a California dial on a bubble back...swapping dials on everything from DateJust to Day Dates...swapping inserts on GMTs... putting "preferred" hands on Explorer IIs.

Let's assume that the watch under discussion was built from parts...what's the problem and isn't the price fair? The seller isn't asking $50,000. The seller isn't making any claims (except implied ignorance?), he's just offering a watch for sale that looks like a Mil Sub but is priced way below one.

I reviewed the seller's feedback for the last 12 months...he had one negative concerning his address and phone number...

Again...the word "fake" carries a lot of baggage when you throw it at someone.

John Ireland
Last edited by figcar on March 12th, 2012, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

kingmillo
VRF Member
kingmillo
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 5:46 am #6

manufacturing something with the purpose of replicating the original is another thing. The piece above definitely has that intention with caseback reengraving, adding T. Those are just the obvious. I am far from expert, but i am sure the experts can name at least 10 more flaws in it.

March 12th, 2012, 6:10 am #7

yes probably he knows
it is not.

no john ..the watch is not built from genuine parts ....the watch was BUILT 100% to decieve the foolish and I'm surprised you can't see it.

even without inspecting it properly , from 10 paces away i will tell you ...

the serial number range is not consistent with any batch of rolex issued military submariner

the hands fitted are not of rolex manufacture or supply

the dial itself is fake

the dial has had a circle t added to it to make it look like a rolex military dial

the engraving to the case back outer is neither of the style of original engraving applied by the mod, nor does it bare numbers that make any sense whatsoever ....

so in other words john .its fake .....does that clear it up ....not a lot of baggage there ....

and as the seller has been advised of this and is still letting the listing run i will wager he knows exactly what he's got or is at least happy to chance his arm regardless

edited for dodgy dyslexic spelling mixed with mac dodgy corrections !!!

Last edited by jedly1 on March 12th, 2012, 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

felixhal
VRF Member
felixhal
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 6:26 am #8

florianw
VRF Member
florianw
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 9:39 am #9

1. Is it a watch that has been built from genuine parts (dial and case back) but not original to movement and case? Or are the parts not genuine and authentic...the dial reworked to be something it isn't, the case back engraved and in the wrong manner?

3. Is there a claim being made against the seller that they are dishonest...and if so, what is the basis for the claim? A prior history of selling fakes?

Part of my confusion is that I see so many parts being sold on various sites including on our own Market that we come back to that age old question of what is a fake? We aren't talking about the actual bible that still holds the bullet that it stopped from hitting Sgt. York's heart. We are talking about lots of people in our hobby who are building their "grails"...putting a PN dial on a Daytona...putting meter first dials on their favorit sub...changing their 6610 to a gilt dial...putting a California dial on a bubble back...swapping dials on everything from DateJust to Day Dates...swapping inserts on GMTs... putting "preferred" hands on Explorer IIs.

Let's assume that the watch under discussion was built from parts...what's the problem and isn't the price fair? The seller isn't asking $50,000. The seller isn't making any claims (except implied ignorance?), he's just offering a watch for sale that looks like a Mil Sub but is priced way below one.

I reviewed the seller's feedback for the last 12 months...he had one negative concerning his address and phone number...

John Ireland
this is always a clear sign of a fake. Original Rolex engravings always have a shorte middle stroke of the E.

Beelzy
VRF Member
Beelzy
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 2:47 pm #10

John Ireland
Horrible to look at whatever it may officially be.