Do you think this old watch ever saw a polishing wheel?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Do you think this old watch ever saw a polishing wheel?

August 16th, 2012, 7:59 am #1

Here's some photos of a watch I got yesterday. I'd like your expert opinions on whether it's ever been polished and if the bevels are original. Should I just be happy with the battle scars or have it shined up on the polishing wheel? Personally I like the dings as it doesn't matter if it get's a few more:)It's pretty raw at the moment as it was found sitting in a box of junk watches for who knows how many years.

August 16th, 2012, 8:36 am #2

To my amateur eyes, it looks very nice. I am a firm believer
in leaving watches as they are. I would not describe your
watch as "raw" - it's simply beautiful.

August 16th, 2012, 9:04 am #3

I've really been enjoying it! I agree and will keep it as is except for maybe a light polish of the crystal. I've read on other forums where people have taped certain parts of their watches to keep them scratch free and some have freaked out over that first scratch on their case but this one I don't have to worry about that:) I've just got to remember to quit looking at that glossy dial while driving!

August 16th, 2012, 10:03 am #4

Here's some photos of a watch I got yesterday. I'd like your expert opinions on whether it's ever been polished and if the bevels are original. Should I just be happy with the battle scars or have it shined up on the polishing wheel? Personally I like the dings as it doesn't matter if it get's a few more:)It's pretty raw at the moment as it was found sitting in a box of junk watches for who knows how many years.

No way to know for sure. I'd leave it as is. nt

August 16th, 2012, 10:46 am #5

Leave it as it is, as I told you from the early beginning,
polish the tropic and clean the radium dust of the dial,
then start enjoying it!!

You did VERY well Mike! I'm proud

Rg.Philipp

August 16th, 2012, 11:23 am #6

Thank you Philipp! This was my first real purchase of a watch like this and your advice made me more confident to really buy it. I really wouldn't be enjoying this watch today if not for your invaluable help and I can not thank you enough for that! You're a really good friend and thanks for putting up with my countless dumb newbie questions:) Tomorrow I'll polish that crystal a bit and maybe even try on a nato and this weekend I'll see about a movement service and cleaning those radium specks. Who would have thought I'd be so excited about a watch that instead of sleeping I get up to go stare at that dial again at 2am:) Someday I'll be like you Philipp, a bigcrown on one arm and smallcrown on the other;) Thanks again!!!

August 16th, 2012, 12:00 pm #7

I say leave it alone and find a NOS dome 16 for it. The case looks super. If you want, just use some cape cod cloth...

August 16th, 2012, 2:09 pm #8

I can't tell you for sure if its had a polish or not - doesn't look like it, but who cares if so!? It is a beaut!!

August 16th, 2012, 2:55 pm #9

August 16th, 2012, 4:21 pm #10