Disgusting experience from Rolex UK

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Disgusting experience from Rolex UK

April 28th, 2012, 10:16 pm #1

Hello,
Be prepared for a long rant. ...sorry.
In January I took my Datejust 1603 into Rolex UK St James's Square.
It had been 6 years since it had last been seviced and as I was in London I thought that I would drop it off.
3 months later the watch is ready, £490, they post it back to me ( I live 200 miles away), I open the plastic service box A DIFFERENT DIAl !
At no time on the Estimate did they say the dial needed replacing !
My dial was Silver in colour , the new dial was Off White almost Cream.
I phoned Rolex service in London. A girl answers the phone , I complained that the dial is new and the wrong colour, she checks on the computer and informs me that their records show that they have not fitted a new dial omly cleaned it, and it must look different bacause it had been cleaned.
I inform her again that the dial is a different colour, she then says that the dial will look different because they have fitted a new Plexiglass !
I then tell her that my silver dial had T SWISS T at 6'OClock and this one has just SWISS, my silver dial had some chipping (degradation, grazing whatever you might want to call it) around the edge, and this new dial was perfect. She insists again that the records show that they have not fitted a new dial.
Now I have owned this watch since 1969, my late Father bought it me when I was 16 ( lucky me ) and I have worn it at school, University and all my working life. I retired last year. I do know what the original dial looks like !
I post the watch back to them. Next day I get a phone call from the same girl in Service, repeating the same Cr*p that they haven't changed the dial & that this dial is what they call silver (even though it is obviously cream in colour).
She puts me through to customer services in the Kings Hill branch where in fact the Datejust was serviced. Nobody is available, as it is lunch time and nobody phones back. I phone them back again after lunch and a polite lady listens to my rambling complaint.
She says that she will get St James's square to send the watch to Kings Hill in Kent where she will look at it and phone me back in 2 days to discuss how this new dial differs from my original dial.
2 days go by and nobody phones. I phone customer relations at Kings Hill only to be told that the haven't got the Datejust yet. They will phone me on Monday when the service manager will liase with the technician who serviced the watch.
Let's see what happens on Monday, but I guess I will never see the original dial again which is a great shame as it obviously had great sentimental value.

garis69
VRF Member
garis69
VRF Member

April 28th, 2012, 11:26 pm #2

and I fully sympathize with your predicament. Knowing fully well what those overtly enthusiastic blood suckers would do to any vintage pieces being sent in for a simple routine service, it pays to be very specific, I mean really specific in your instructions when you sent your watch in to the point of getting your instructions written in black and white. I mean, in what way would changing a customer's dial be part of a simple routine 'oil & filter' type service of a workhorse 1570? Be prepared for more 'gibbledegook' on Monday and perhaps you might want to count to ten while taking deep breaths before answering the phone.

Daniel
Daniel

April 29th, 2012, 2:05 am #3

Hello,
It had been 6 years since it had last been seviced and as I was in London I thought that I would drop it off.
3 months later the watch is ready, £490, they post it back to me ( I live 200 miles away), I open the plastic service box A DIFFERENT DIAl !
I phoned Rolex service in London. A girl answers the phone , I complained that the dial is new and the wrong colour, she checks on the computer and informs me that their records show that they have not fitted a new dial omly cleaned it, and it must look different bacause it had been cleaned.
I inform her again that the dial is a different colour, she then says that the dial will look different because they have fitted a new Plexiglass !
I then tell her that my silver dial had T SWISS T at 6'OClock and this one has just SWISS, my silver dial had some chipping (degradation, grazing whatever you might want to call it) around the edge, and this new dial was perfect. She insists again that the records show that they have not fitted a new dial.
Now I have owned this watch since 1969, my late Father bought it me when I was 16 ( lucky me ) and I have worn it at school, University and all my working life. I retired last year. I do know what the original dial looks like !
I post the watch back to them. Next day I get a phone call from the same girl in Service, repeating the same Cr*p that they haven't changed the dial & that this dial is what they call silver (even though it is obviously cream in colour).
She puts me through to customer services in the Kings Hill branch where in fact the Datejust was serviced. Nobody is available, as it is lunch time and nobody phones back. I phone them back again after lunch and a polite lady listens to my rambling complaint.
She says that she will get St James's square to send the watch to Kings Hill in Kent where she will look at it and phone me back in 2 days to discuss how this new dial differs from my original dial.
2 days go by and nobody phones. I phone customer relations at Kings Hill only to be told that the haven't got the Datejust yet. They will phone me on Monday when the service manager will liase with the technician who serviced the watch.
Let's see what happens on Monday, but I guess I will never see the original dial again which is a great shame as it obviously had great sentimental value.
Do you have any photos of the watch before the service that you could show them?

April 29th, 2012, 2:08 am #4

Hello,
I am sorrt to hear that, it happened to me twice when I took my vintage watches to Rolex HK. They scratched my dial without notified me; but they changed the dial for me , though all hands matches but different after all.
So I swear god that I wont bring watches to service again in Rolex ------risky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

2wsxcde3
VRF Member
2wsxcde3
VRF Member

April 29th, 2012, 4:00 am #5

Hello,
their job is to give you the very best watch back possible and do not involve themselves with sentimental or monetary value. An old and aging part is exactly that to them. You must give them specific instructions not to change something you want to keep, which makes their life difficult having to then guarantee something when they have restrictions placed on them.

Remember, Rolex make these service replacement parts for old watches to keep them alive and customers happy. The average man would be overjoyed at getting a fresh dial and not being charged for it.

Personally I would not use Rolex for vintage watches. I do not like the idea of handing something over to a shop assistant and hoping for the best. Their people are trained to follow rules and do not like dealing with exceptions.

I once heard of Rolex taking a MilSub and handing it back, thinking they've looked after their client, with new dial and hands - destroying the value of the watch - it was not Rolex fault as he has not given specific instructions.

Unless you have a special relationship it is better to stick to a local watchmaker who knows Rolex like the back of his hand. Finding this kind of artisan can be difficult in the UK though.

I've heard that if Rolex take out a dial, they bend it in half and throw it in the bin - so you'll be lucky to retrieve that one. You had better hope they haven't , if they did a dial swap and only charged you for a service then they have actually looked after you as a customer very well from the actual servicing standpoint.

Best of luck with the result next week. I hope you can get your dial back.

Steve
Last edited by 2wsxcde3 on April 29th, 2012, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 29th, 2012, 7:27 am #6

Daniel's suggestion, appears to me to be the most logical.

That said, I don't know what it will achieve, if has already been mentioned they destroy the old parts.

Having read all these horror stories about Rolex and their apparent policy when it comes to replacing old for new.
I shall never (when I get one) return a vintage watch back to Rolex.

I really hope that the OP, gets the old dial returned.

Regards

Tony

April 29th, 2012, 10:47 am #7

I have to say previously Rolex have always serviced my 4 Rolex watches to an excellent standard.
Rolex don't admit they have changed the dial and to change the dial to a different coloured dial to the one sent in for a sevice is just crazy.
How do they know I will like the new dial of a different colour without asking my opinion ?
The dial of a watch is a personal choice and I don't like the dial they have chosen.
I should have checked the case number on the watch sent back to me to check that it was in fact my watch. The watch had obviously been polished so all the recognisable scratches had gone.
I haven't got a photo of this watch.

April 29th, 2012, 10:58 am #8

their job is to give you the very best watch back possible and do not involve themselves with sentimental or monetary value. An old and aging part is exactly that to them. You must give them specific instructions not to change something you want to keep, which makes their life difficult having to then guarantee something when they have restrictions placed on them.

Remember, Rolex make these service replacement parts for old watches to keep them alive and customers happy. The average man would be overjoyed at getting a fresh dial and not being charged for it.

Personally I would not use Rolex for vintage watches. I do not like the idea of handing something over to a shop assistant and hoping for the best. Their people are trained to follow rules and do not like dealing with exceptions.

I once heard of Rolex taking a MilSub and handing it back, thinking they've looked after their client, with new dial and hands - destroying the value of the watch - it was not Rolex fault as he has not given specific instructions.

Unless you have a special relationship it is better to stick to a local watchmaker who knows Rolex like the back of his hand. Finding this kind of artisan can be difficult in the UK though.

I've heard that if Rolex take out a dial, they bend it in half and throw it in the bin - so you'll be lucky to retrieve that one. You had better hope they haven't , if they did a dial swap and only charged you for a service then they have actually looked after you as a customer very well from the actual servicing standpoint.

Steve
It is not the best possible watch if I don't like the colour of the new dial !
If it was a replacement dial of the same colour I probably wouldn't complain.
Also they are DENYING that they have fitted a new dial. The girl at the service reception St James's Square was infering that I just didn't recognise my own watch because they had simply cleaned the dial and changed the Plexiglass.

April 29th, 2012, 11:28 am #9

Steve
I had told them not to change anything just oiled my 1675 TT, but they scratched my watches' dial...even they replaced the same T Swiss T dial for me , they are just different!!!!!Steve that is a really bad service from such a famous brand. I dont know why it happened to me twice , may be very unlucky...

2wsxcde3
VRF Member
2wsxcde3
VRF Member

April 29th, 2012, 11:43 am #10

It is not the best possible watch if I don't like the colour of the new dial !
If it was a replacement dial of the same colour I probably wouldn't complain.
Also they are DENYING that they have fitted a new dial. The girl at the service reception St James's Square was infering that I just didn't recognise my own watch because they had simply cleaned the dial and changed the Plexiglass.
guys want their vintage watches serviced and kept running sweet - for which Rolex do the best they can to accommodate us. Case in point - you said your dial was suffering from "chipping (degradation, grazing whatever you might want to call it) around the edge" ---- If the service guy/watchmaker finds flakes of paint or flecks of lume in the gears of the mov't then that dial is now a liability to the watch you are paying to have and demand to have serviced correctly with a full Rolex warranty returned. As it needs to be replaced to be 100% safe but this was not agreed by the sales girl/assistant then this was for sure why they did it for free and why she cannot see it on any kind of invoice or system that she is checking.
That's not a denial but you just being caught up in the big company system at the moment.

They have also polished the scratches out for you and made it look as nice as they can so try not to look at them as Ogres.

In my eyes Rolex haven't been malicious or bloodsuckers (like some would suggest) they just tried to give you the best and most reliable watch back possible. To them, giving you the closest colour they had was good enough for the guy servicing who probably thought you (as 99 out of 100 people) would be really happy with a fresh looking watch.

You didn't specify to not replace the dial so they have the right to change it for a correctly working one and there's not much you can complain about on that front.

Your angle with the service centre is to understand/appreciate what they did and why they did it for you when you speak to them. You need to be a politician and thank them for a good job and tell them how lovely a job they did and how nice the watch looks -but politely point out you really would like the original dial back or a like-for-like replacement fitted as it had a sentimental value to you.

Hope this helps and again, I hope you get your dial back,

Regards,

Steve

Last edited by 2wsxcde3 on April 29th, 2012, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.