different hands during production of Submariner 5513?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

different hands during production of Submariner 5513?

March 12th, 2018, 12:57 pm #1

Hello friends,
I need your help regarding factory used hands for the last Submariner series.
A few weeks ago I got a really untouched Submariner 5513 from a friend, produced 1987 and first sold 1988.
I just wondering about the hands. Tritium yes but differences in the lume, one is looking milky and plain, the others lusterless and a little grainy. The Color and the last glowing is matching.
Could that be?

Thanks for help
best
Cosmic

March 15th, 2018, 12:51 am #2

Hi Cosmic,

an untouched watch would never show hands with different lume... just a small possibility would be that the tritium lume of one hand got some oil which changes the consistency from grainy to a shiny plain mass - but this goes usually with some discoloration, and such an "accident" is rather a service than a manufacture fault (so watch touched up anyway).

However an 80s tritium lume wouldn't glow anymore (or only extremely weak, perhaps still noticeable as a shimmer in a total dark environment). You might have a mix of different luminova hands, there are in fact grainy lusterless as well as plain milky generations. Or two hands show grainy luminova and the milky thing is relumed (but then the matching glow is unusual). Try if the lume responds to strong light (LED or Halogen) with a bright afterglowing - then it's non-contemporary luminova for sure (namely most 60s hands would react too, but it's unlikely that such ones got mounted).

Greetings,
Xeramic