Dear All ,

I saw in several posts that some dials were cleaned ,

I always thought that making this was affecting the dial
like relumed dials for example .

Apparently I am wrong , I would like to know what is
allowed to do on a dial ?

Thanks in advance for your helps

Alain L.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/t ... %3B25+dial...

Perhaps some sections of the thread might help.

Wouldn't touch a precious dial - or ANY if you're not a person with fine-motor skills, it's a delicate job. Some watchmakers are able to help, but don't trust in good intention only, any destruction is final... also think about losing the patina. Rather sell a bad candidate and look for a better one.

You can clean newer glossy dials with very smooth and clean microfibre (or the tips I've mentioned in the thread) - just breath on the dial and wipe fingerprints or dust quickly away. Never use cotton swabs, the cotton is too rough and scratches the lacquer. Matte dials: don't touch, except for dabbing (not rubbing) dust with Rodico away.

Greetings,
Xeramic

April 17th, 2018, 3:28 pm #4

Dear All ,

Alain L.
Thanks a lot Guys ;) (nt)

April 26th, 2018, 5:37 am #5

Thank you. Great info

southtexas111
VRF Member

April 27th, 2018, 3:11 am #6

Xeramic wrote:
Dear All ,

Alain L.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/t ... %3B25+dial...

Perhaps some sections of the thread might help.

Wouldn't touch a precious dial - or ANY if you're not a person with fine-motor skills, it's a delicate job. Some watchmakers are able to help, but don't trust in good intention only, any destruction is final... also think about losing the patina. Rather sell a bad candidate and look for a better one.

You can clean newer glossy dials with very smooth and clean microfibre (or the tips I've mentioned in the thread) - just breath on the dial and wipe fingerprints or dust quickly away. Never use cotton swabs, the cotton is too rough and scratches the lacquer. Matte dials: don't touch, except for dabbing (not rubbing) dust with Rodico away.

Greetings,
Xeramic
That thread gave me severe anxiety just reading it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dynhm6
VRF Member
dynhm6
VRF Member

April 28th, 2018, 12:50 am #7

As suggested above, rodico's the only thing I use on dials....and only if you have experience handling dials....and, even then, EXTREME care must be taken!
In general, if a dial's got loose dust/debris on it, a few squeezes from an air bulb or light dabbing with rodico'll take care of it. If not, I'd either leave the dial alone or, if it's a precious dial, consider having Kirk Rich Dial (KRD) take a look at it. KRD's one of the few venerable dial restorers that maintain some of the old, original Rolex dial stampers. My late grandfather was a master watchmaker, who worked for Rolex in the '50s (before going indy), and, when I was a kid I worked part-time in his shop and recall seeing both KRD's work and billing. They were, as far as I recall, the only company my grandfather would use for dial repair/refinishing (I vaguely recall there being another reliable firm in NYC, but we didn't use them and I can't verify the name). Sometimes, they could perform miracles, sometimes they recommended a complete refacing. I believe they're still located in California. If the dial's rare, it might be worth speaking to them about it. If you do, be VERY detailed in what you want/expect and don't presume anything.