Day Date Caliber and Band Questions...

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Day Date Caliber and Band Questions...

November 14th, 2011, 3:06 pm #1

As a result of yet another one of my rummaging expeditions, I have now a DD ref no 6612B. But this watch is quite an oddity. Why?

Firstly, it has a caliber 1555 movement; one would expect a 1055. It may have been swapped sometime during its long life, but it may also be one of those transitional Rolex moments.The fact that the movement number is DD 11453, an early number, may indeed point to this.

Secondly, the president bracelet that came along with it, with a folding clasp,is stamped 4 68.It may have be added on later, but loose Rose Gold bands are not exactly found two around each corner.Except for the date, it matches the head perfectly. By the way, the case no 395XXX dates the watch to 10 years earlier than the band.

Any insight into these little niggly issues are most welcomed.

November 14th, 2011, 5:45 pm #2

consider the age of the watch and the value of it. The original and most of the previous owners did not consider this a collector item, it was an expensive version of a tool...a watch to tell time with. Over the years the movement may have been upgraded during routine service or because of a major damage to the original movement. The strength of metal bracelets has been heavily overrated. Again, parts break and get replaced...sometimes with no regard to originality...other times with great fidelity. It sounds like you have a great vintage watch with just enough that isn't original to make it a perfect daily wearer. And it is a size and has the basic functions that are now becoming fashionalbe again. Enjoy it in good health.

John Ireland

November 14th, 2011, 7:30 pm #3

As a result of yet another one of my rummaging expeditions, I have now a DD ref no 6612B. But this watch is quite an oddity. Why?

Firstly, it has a caliber 1555 movement; one would expect a 1055. It may have been swapped sometime during its long life, but it may also be one of those transitional Rolex moments.The fact that the movement number is DD 11453, an early number, may indeed point to this.

Secondly, the president bracelet that came along with it, with a folding clasp,is stamped 4 68.It may have be added on later, but loose Rose Gold bands are not exactly found two around each corner.Except for the date, it matches the head perfectly. By the way, the case no 395XXX dates the watch to 10 years earlier than the band.

Any insight into these little niggly issues are most welcomed.
Love to see a pic when ya get a chance :)