Cyclops buster - I hate them with a vengeance - What is the forum's opinion? >

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Cyclops buster - I hate them with a vengeance - What is the forum's opinion? >

June 27th, 2012, 5:13 am #1

I've never liked the date cyclops on any plastic model watches - except the unique Homeplate version which also sits nice and evenly at 6.

Being so far from the dial they are obstructive to date viewing unless you're looking directly on - they hardly magnify at all and the worst of it is they totally spoil the symmetrical look of the dial. Whenever possible I'll always replace with a much cleaner looking dome; after all it's always reversible in a couple of minutes.

But with this awkward bloody date model here I've not been able to find a suitable option change so have fallen back on the very last and most brutal irreversible action.

I took it to my watchmaker who chiseled it off and polished the plexi clean in a couple of minutes while I drank my morning tea in his shop. It was so quick and easy he didn't even bother to charge me a dime:

This can be done with absolutely any plastic date model you cannot find the smooth and clean look that you seek. Having your own guy you trust is a must that goes without saying of course.

Maybe not for everyone and possibly even offensive to some - I personally think the result is worth while.

I am interested to know what the forum thinks of this very typical and instantly recognisable Rolex feature?

Love it?
hate it?
or indifferent?

Steve

Some before and afters

June 27th, 2012, 5:44 am #2

I tend to always stick a T19 on plexi Sub Dates.

Before:

[/IMG]

After:

[/IMG]
Plus I added a nice old insert!

Ross

p.s. Could you let me have your email address?

www.tudorcollector.com

Last edited by Oysterdater on June 27th, 2012, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 27th, 2012, 5:54 am #3

That is a beautiful blue animal indeed!

take my mail now as I'll be editing it back out later,

Cheers,

Steve

June 27th, 2012, 5:54 am #4

I've never liked the date cyclops on any plastic model watches - except the unique Homeplate version which also sits nice and evenly at 6.

Being so far from the dial they are obstructive to date viewing unless you're looking directly on - they hardly magnify at all and the worst of it is they totally spoil the symmetrical look of the dial. Whenever possible I'll always replace with a much cleaner looking dome; after all it's always reversible in a couple of minutes.

But with this awkward bloody date model here I've not been able to find a suitable option change so have fallen back on the very last and most brutal irreversible action.

I took it to my watchmaker who chiseled it off and polished the plexi clean in a couple of minutes while I drank my morning tea in his shop. It was so quick and easy he didn't even bother to charge me a dime:

This can be done with absolutely any plastic date model you cannot find the smooth and clean look that you seek. Having your own guy you trust is a must that goes without saying of course.

Maybe not for everyone and possibly even offensive to some - I personally think the result is worth while.

I am interested to know what the forum thinks of this very typical and instantly recognisable Rolex feature?

Love it?
hate it?
or indifferent?

Steve

Some before and afters

I'm slowly breaking down and getting serious about installing a #38 on my 1655 and 1675. Sweet look. Thanks for sharing.

June 27th, 2012, 5:56 am #5

Love it?
hate it?
or indifferent?

Steve

Some before and afters

up with the best solution around. The double wheel BIG DATE stuff on more recent watches are jokes and filled with efficiency flaws. Omega and a few others have tried to copy the Rolex idea...but Rolex did it first and best and right. IMO.

John Ireland

June 27th, 2012, 6:42 am #6

Love it?
hate it?
or indifferent?

Steve

Some before and afters

At first I did not mind having the cyclopes but then I wanted to have the full view of the dial and start hate them minute after minute :O)
Now that I am convinced that the cyclopes are ugly thing on a wacth is the first thing I do when I get a new watch is to remove the crystal and put a non cyclopes crystal.

Just look at these examples and you see the difference as well side by side my two Gold Subs

Last edited by alexxxgil on June 27th, 2012, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 27th, 2012, 7:25 am #7

Love it?
hate it?
or indifferent?

Steve

Some before and afters

in combination with a smooth bezel (think 1600 and 1802). would anyone mind to enlighten me what no date crystal is suitable for the 160x datejusts? or does one have to polish off the cyclops on the c116? I think I once heard that an omega crystal would fit but I have never managed to learn more about that.

Best,

Hans

June 27th, 2012, 7:55 am #8

for both when I can get them. I am still not sure exactly what model they are from though - I keep forgetting to ask my watchmaker. They are the best man for the job. Best look and best seal.

Best

Steve

DJ

DD (in this pic you can see the tiny Omega etching in the centre of the Plexi

June 27th, 2012, 7:59 am #9

At first I did not mind having the cyclopes but then I wanted to have the full view of the dial and start hate them minute after minute :O)
Now that I am convinced that the cyclopes are ugly thing on a wacth is the first thing I do when I get a new watch is to remove the crystal and put a non cyclopes crystal.

Just look at these examples and you see the difference as well side by side my two Gold Subs

what a difference in your watches - amazing result,

thanks for sharing these piccies!

Steve

June 27th, 2012, 8:00 am #10

I'm slowly breaking down and getting serious about installing a #38 on my 1655 and 1675. Sweet look. Thanks for sharing.
We'd like to see before and afters. Try and get the same shot twice please,

cheers,

Steve