Counterfeit 1016 Case Back

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Counterfeit 1016 Case Back

May 29th, 2012, 4:19 pm #1

I sold a 1016 case back on eBay. He claimed this item was counterfeit. I disagreed but offered him a full refund once he returned the back. He claimed he could not return the back because shipping companies will not accept counterfeit items. He filed a claim with Paypal. Paypal sided with him and gave him a full refund (ay my expense) provided he "promise" to destroy the back.

I would love never to use eBay or Paypal again. However, I need to sell a bunch of parts to raise some cash and eBay is probably the best venue to accomplish this. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening in the future? Or, do I just accept this as the cost of doing business on eBay? As always I appreciate your advice. Regards Dean
Last edited by VintageRolexForum on May 29th, 2012, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RolexWatchTime
RolexWatchTime

May 29th, 2012, 4:27 pm #2

SO...this guy is nuts?

Could he not post the part here or on other forums to vet it out...?

The truth is he didn't want to probably.

The shipping companies never examine individually what you are shipping anyway.

Gema is the problem. Unfortunately the wheels turn. He is probably using your caseback....I'm jumping to conclusions....

Sorry you had this situation....I just had a guy buy a watch from me...a known guy in the UK...doing business under a different user name.

Said he would wire me the money. Then said it was wired. 2 weeks later no money and no response.

I voided the sale as did another guy who sold him something 2 days later and pretty soon...he won't be on Ebay with that name any longer.

I've never had any issues at all til now.

marcel-wien
VRF Member
marcel-wien
VRF Member

May 29th, 2012, 4:40 pm #3

I sold a 1016 case back on eBay. He claimed this item was counterfeit. I disagreed but offered him a full refund once he returned the back. He claimed he could not return the back because shipping companies will not accept counterfeit items. He filed a claim with Paypal. Paypal sided with him and gave him a full refund (ay my expense) provided he "promise" to destroy the back.

I would love never to use eBay or Paypal again. However, I need to sell a bunch of parts to raise some cash and eBay is probably the best venue to accomplish this. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening in the future? Or, do I just accept this as the cost of doing business on eBay? As always I appreciate your advice. Regards Dean
....for me, you got scammed. how can paypal be shure its a fake cb? and that the spanish guy will destroy it?
Last edited by marcel-wien on May 29th, 2012, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 29th, 2012, 5:13 pm #4

He is probably using the caseback, and didn't have to pay for it. Just my gut feeling (can't prove it). Pretty slick scam if that is what is going on.

scurfa
VRF Member
scurfa
VRF Member

May 29th, 2012, 5:44 pm #5

...bought a case back from me and when it arrived emailed me to say it had tool marks when it did not I offered the guy a refund and within minutes left me negative feed back and I have since saw many dealers with negative feedback from the same guy.

May 29th, 2012, 6:10 pm #6

the question is how do you protect yourself from this type of claim in the future?

scurfa
VRF Member
scurfa
VRF Member

May 29th, 2012, 6:16 pm #7

..and mention the word counterfeit and you have had it!

matt4hand
VRF Member
matt4hand
VRF Member

May 29th, 2012, 8:28 pm #8

the question is how do you protect yourself from this type of claim in the future?
Via eBay I will only accept a wire or paypal eCheck after a similar deal was tried on me.
Wire only for anyone not in the USA on eBay.

Paypal is not your friend

LennyL
VRF Member
LennyL
VRF Member

May 30th, 2012, 3:32 am #9

I just purchased a counterfeit Yacht Master Platinum bezel from Ebay and when I contacted both Ebay and Pay-Pal, Pay-Pal told me to wait till I was instructed to email the Bezel back to the seller. Once I showed proof (Tracking) that it was shipped, Pay-Pal refunded my funds. They never told me to ship the Counterfeit Bezel back to Pay-Pal or Ebay, so I'm not sure as to why this is happening to you. This just happened to me about 1 month ago so I don't think things have changed..

Best of Luck to you, I hope this all works out..

figcar
VRF Member
figcar
VRF Member

May 30th, 2012, 6:29 am #10

money. But ebay forces you to use paypal or atleast accept it if that is how someone wants to pay. I believe that using a bank wire transfer is the safest way to go. I don't ship until my bank branch assures me that the transfer has cleared and money is in my account. Then I ship the item. In a case like yours, you would then be able to say that you cannot refund money until you receive the item being returned. No reason to accept less. It only slows up the transaction time a few days.

John Ireland