"Can't we all just get along" (RK)>>

Vintage Rolex Discussion

"Can't we all just get along" (RK)>>

February 13th, 2012, 1:13 pm #1

I spoke to a high-profile dealer yesterday (who shall remain nameless), and I asked him why he doesn't ever post on the forum, with his extensive knowledge of vintage Rolex.

His response was that if you ever make a serious error here, they just tear you apart. Is this what we want our reputation to be?

This forum was started by Christian Veltman, a gentleman, and his intent was to create a virtual world where other civilized people were sitting around, respectfully chatting about watches. Differences were aired in a friendly manner.

The intent was NOT a dick-swinging contest, where the guy with the final word on some nuanced topic wins.

Do you think anyone will hold you in the highest esteem if you bite, scratch, and claw your way to the top of why a dial had a .001 lacquer top coat rather than .002?

Let's keep it civil: stick to the point; argue in a respectful manner; no devolving to name-calling or personal attacks.

Cheers,

Bob

February 13th, 2012, 1:55 pm #2

Bob and all - I agree with Bob's sentiment stated above. Although I rarely post here, I have followed for years and have always enjoyed the benefit of a wealth of knowledge that is unsurpassed in vintage Rolex watches. At the same time in the last year, I have seen the atmosphere go from a close knit community with common goals to one where it is very difficult to sort the great information from the fighting and unnecessary petty stuff. At the same time, I have witnessed the disappearance of many of the most knowledgeable and well respected people in our hobby. We still enjoy a great deal of knowledge but it is not the same. I miss y
The days of visiting this forum daily and coming away with more knowledge than when I logged in. I also miss the days when the sales posts were more than just WTB. This is still a great place, but it not the same. I hope someday we can return to behaving as ladies and gentlemen with the common goal of helping each other to further our hobby.

Furman

YetiBiker
VRF Member
YetiBiker
VRF Member

February 13th, 2012, 3:27 pm #3

Agree, very knowledgable people just stay on the sidelines..sad

fatboyharris
VRF Member

February 13th, 2012, 5:43 pm #4

I spoke to a high-profile dealer yesterday (who shall remain nameless), and I asked him why he doesn't ever post on the forum, with his extensive knowledge of vintage Rolex.

His response was that if you ever make a serious error here, they just tear you apart. Is this what we want our reputation to be?

This forum was started by Christian Veltman, a gentleman, and his intent was to create a virtual world where other civilized people were sitting around, respectfully chatting about watches. Differences were aired in a friendly manner.

The intent was NOT a dick-swinging contest, where the guy with the final word on some nuanced topic wins.

Do you think anyone will hold you in the highest esteem if you bite, scratch, and claw your way to the top of why a dial had a .001 lacquer top coat rather than .002?

Let's keep it civil: stick to the point; argue in a respectful manner; no devolving to name-calling or personal attacks.

Cheers,

Bob
but thats not reality.

There is considerable passion, enormous reserves of knowledge and  experience of vintage Rolex here on the site. Some of it hard earned and much freely shared, improving the gene pool of VRF knowledge and understanding. From time to time we are pushing the boundaries of our knowledge and understanding, questioning previous conventions and accepted norms, which will by its very nature cause some people difficulties and problems ignoring the personality clashes and from time to time slight professional jealosy that maybe perceived to raise its head. Sometimes access to the' bible' or ' fountain of knowledge' can create its own difficulties, no matter how it is imparted,  hiding the true sentiments or motivation.

There are cases of strongly and passionately held beliefs, which from time to time do spark when they collide head on with dissenting views. That is the nature of the world, it is only by laws, conventions of conduct and the possiblity of punishment in the real world that moderates the conduct of the general population in dealing with one another. No 2 people are alike, what you or I may find offensive others may not, we may not always be  aware of the 'true' relationship between 2 posters who are sparring it out, one minute a fist fight and name calling the next minute they are 'offline' down the local buying each other drinks.

Whilst I do not subscribe to name calling or personal attacks..............but one must ask oneself, why is it that many of the contestants involved in these sometimes 'unpleasant' exchanges, keep coming back for more.........maybe sometimes it is not as it may seem to a lay person, but I'm equally sure there are examples where it is clearly and correctly labelled as combative and offensive.

We all process information in different ways, by way of illustration... some can make massive 'leaps of faith' on the smallest amount of data, others are more guarded and nibble away at the bed rock. Each has it role to play and should be appreciated and treasured.

What is probably the most disappointing aspect in your posting is that not everyone contributes to the debate, I can understand inexperience or lack of knowledge can sometimes hold people back, but more experienced hands may hold the key that unlocks the debate and not participating for whatever reason makes the site a poorer place. IMHO if one holds back, for fear of rebuke, would make this a very sad place to be..............I'm sure we all get it wrong from time to time and its by recognising and accepting that, we as contributors grow in knowledge and appreciation and the forum becomes an even better place. The MODs are there as backup and will deal with problems as and when they arise, so theres no real excuse to hold back if you can contribute.

For me the least desirable scenario, is to have experienced knowledgeable people watching from the sidelines potentially and maybe unwittingly holding back what may the 'nugget', whilst others  try to take the debate forward . We all have to 'give' as well as to 'take' to make the forum a richer place, its all a question of where you are in the cycle.

Not everyone is interested in every aspect of all things vintage Rolex.......sometimes one has to recognise certain debates no matter how interesting to the posters may turn others off.............eg just pretty pictures of Rolex dont do it for me, but quite rightly each to his own..

More than happy to discuss

regards

John
Last edited by fatboyharris on February 13th, 2012, 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 13th, 2012, 6:54 pm #5

To love Rolex, you get the whole package......the hype, the lovers, the haters and the worse of all, the crazy fan expert!
But hey, that's life and it exists everywhere in this world.
VRF has been a blessing but just like the internet, you have the choice of reading certain posts or moving on from them.
To expect all the moderators to make this a "kosher" place is unfair and unrealistic.
To expect everyone to act like gentlemen is also unfair and unrealistic.
We come to this site to celebrate the brand we love: ROLEX.
Be it you own ONE watch, or many, it doesn't really matter does it?
What matters is that we love Rolex and share our ideas.
But in all reality, everyone's opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.
You as the reader decides what is fiction or gospel.
I'm a chrono lover.
But if I was to listen to Tom Bolt, (who in my book is a gentlemen) and if I was to listen to him about his thoughts of the Paul Newman Chronographs,
Some of us would have a collection of overpriced metal......
But I collect for myself and I enjoy them.
Isn't that what's it all about anyway?
VRF is a great place to visit but like real life, stop and read what interests you and pass on the ones that don't.

February 14th, 2012, 2:08 am #6

I respectfully disagree. Do you think that it is "unfair and unrealistic" in other venues as well? At work? With friends? At a house of worship? If it is not acceptable there, why should we expect lesser conduct here? Because we're passionate about watches?