By far the coolest Cotton Bowl watch out there

Vintage Rolex Discussion

By far the coolest Cotton Bowl watch out there

April 24th, 2012, 3:01 pm #1

I am really happy with my new addition of this lovely Cotton Bowl 1969
The hands , smooth bezel and the superdome makes this creature looks so cool, clean and attractive that I am sure no one can resist as the temptation is is way up there.
I just took this scans for you to see that a simple watch can make you very happy and you do not need to spend much money and your wife will never noticed that you spend just a few bucks !!!! ........lol
The important thing if you like projects is to find the right dial / hands that you will be happy with and then search for the case and movement that are not hard to find in a nice condition.

I know our Boss has the best collection of the babies so let's see it, so please post your cotton bowl dials PLeaseeeeeeeeeee !!!!!

So here it my cotton bowl with her sister that is one of my favorites.

Have a good day all

Godspeed

ag

NOW THE WRIST SHOT

April 24th, 2012, 3:59 pm #2

florianw
VRF Member
florianw
VRF Member

April 24th, 2012, 4:40 pm #3

The hands , smooth bezel and the superdome makes this creature looks so cool, clean and attractive that I am sure no one can resist as the temptation is is way up there.
I just took this scans for you to see that a simple watch can make you very happy and you do not need to spend much money and your wife will never noticed that you spend just a few bucks !!!! ........lol
The important thing if you like projects is to find the right dial / hands that you will be happy with and then search for the case and movement that are not hard to find in a nice condition.

I know our Boss has the best collection of the babies so let's see it, so please post your cotton bowl dials PLeaseeeeeeeeeee !!!!!

Have a good day all

Godspeed

ag

NOW THE WRIST SHOT

they are too small for my pan size hands.

But now it's time to ask for more information on that Cotton Bowl thing.....from Richard's scans I can see that it has to do with sports, but what is it exactly and what has Rolex got to do with it??? Come on guys...give a curious European some more input.

April 24th, 2012, 5:09 pm #4

Hi Florian, college football teams are filtered by size into various 'conferences'. At the end of the season these conferences will invite their best teams to meet in what are called bowl games (bowl because of the physical shape of most stadiums). Cotton Bowl. Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, there are dozens of bowl games of all sizes and importance.

There is no national championship college game in the US but in certain years certain bowl games will host the two statistically best teams creating a defacto championship game. The 1970 Cotton Bowl was such a championship game.

The Cotton Bowl has been held in Dallas Texas since 1937 and is unique in that every year since inception it has awarded team watches to the players and coaches and some administrative types rather than the more common rings. Between 1967 and 1976 the Cotton Bowl awarded Rolex and Tudor watches and I have been trying to collect an example from each year. I also search for a game program for each watch and whatever other ephemera comes my way.

1967 Airking
1968 Date 1500
1969 DateJust 1603
1970 DateJust 1603
1971 Some DJs Some Tudor 34mm Date
1972 Tudor 34mm Date
1973 Never seen one!
1974 Tudor 38mm Date Day 7017
1975 Tudor 38mm Date Day 7017
1976 Tudor 38mm Date Day 7017

I have: '69, '70, '72, '74, '76 and a 1983 ladies Christian Dior awarded to an SMU cheerleader.

RolexWatchTime
RolexWatchTime

April 24th, 2012, 5:18 pm #5

Only it wasn't football LOL!

dcfis
VRF Member
dcfis
VRF Member

April 24th, 2012, 5:18 pm #6

Have a good day all

Godspeed

ag

NOW THE WRIST SHOT

Hook'Em!!!

emcollado
VRF Member
emcollado
VRF Member

April 24th, 2012, 5:22 pm #7

Have a good day all

Godspeed

ag

NOW THE WRIST SHOT

great watch! and rare! saw this on ebay and fs on the forums about a month ago. awesome piece!

florianw
VRF Member
florianw
VRF Member

April 24th, 2012, 5:35 pm #8

Hi Florian, college football teams are filtered by size into various 'conferences'. At the end of the season these conferences will invite their best teams to meet in what are called bowl games (bowl because of the physical shape of most stadiums). Cotton Bowl. Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, there are dozens of bowl games of all sizes and importance.

There is no national championship college game in the US but in certain years certain bowl games will host the two statistically best teams creating a defacto championship game. The 1970 Cotton Bowl was such a championship game.

The Cotton Bowl has been held in Dallas Texas since 1937 and is unique in that every year since inception it has awarded team watches to the players and coaches and some administrative types rather than the more common rings. Between 1967 and 1976 the Cotton Bowl awarded Rolex and Tudor watches and I have been trying to collect an example from each year. I also search for a game program for each watch and whatever other ephemera comes my way.

1967 Airking
1968 Date 1500
1969 DateJust 1603
1970 DateJust 1603
1971 Some DJs Some Tudor 34mm Date
1972 Tudor 34mm Date
1973 Never seen one!
1974 Tudor 38mm Date Day 7017
1975 Tudor 38mm Date Day 7017
1976 Tudor 38mm Date Day 7017

I have: '69, '70, '72, '74, '76 and a 1983 ladies Christian Dior awarded to an SMU cheerleader.

it is interesting that Rolex made such small series especcially for this kind of events or were the dials just privately redone by the organizers of the game?

April 24th, 2012, 6:38 pm #9

...each team member received them as well as coaches, administrative people and others. As you might imagine there was no end to those wanting one!

I have seen aftermarket dials as well, in fact my '76 is most likely aftermarket but I don't think it could be called fake because these AM dials were done locally to make up shortfalls in demand.

Here's my '76 with no Swiss on the dial...

Here's a 1970 on a dial with gold markers!

Here's a faded 1970...

This is an original 1970, see the difference in quality of printing and the size of the '1970' on this dial compared to the others. The 1970 Cotton Bowl was an epic game, it was a national championship game attended by the current and former US presidents, played by future NFL stars and it turned out to be a hell of a good game. Demand for 1970 watches would have been tremendous and I can see that local reprinting would have been brisk.

Just one of the many variations that make it fun researching these watches.

rolexmax
VRF Member
rolexmax
VRF Member

April 24th, 2012, 7:07 pm #10

great watch! and rare! saw this on ebay and fs on the forums about a month ago. awesome piece!
here is my AK combo from 1967

Last edited by VintageRolexForum on April 24th, 2012, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.