Bezel insert experts again please..

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Bezel insert experts again please..

March 30th, 2016, 5:45 pm #1

I have almost zero doubt but you guys are demi gods.

Had some glue on the back.

I've got it snapped in but will have to also add some glue for safety.

Customer's piece. When he got it from his dad there weren't any reproduction inserts...but I've never had one in person.

darkner-imperator
VRF Member

March 31st, 2016, 12:25 am #2

Its for sell ?

Last edited by darkner-imperator on March 31st, 2016, 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Linesiders
VRF Member
Linesiders
VRF Member

March 31st, 2016, 12:27 am #3

Agree - superb!

March 31st, 2016, 1:14 am #4

Its for sell ?

And stellar condition too!

March 31st, 2016, 4:15 am #5

Customer's piece. When he got it from his dad there weren't any reproduction inserts...but I've never had one in person.

I offered money on this watch 5 years ago when another watchmaker had it. I was wondering what happened to it the other day and presto it shows up to be serviced with me.

Dial is refinished a zillion years ago...but is actually "gilt" not printed. It's weird...I can see where it says SWISS under the black paint at the bottom...but the 4 lines are just horrible....

It's like they used the original to make the new....very odd.

Now it's crazed and crackled and pitted...

Anyway...I don't think I can buy the watch and certainly the bezel is not for sale. The insert is so good you could buy an NOS bezel ring and have one of the best around.

:-/

oh well.

March 31st, 2016, 9:23 am #6

I'm busy working on a article about rare vintage Rolex that has lost its originality during a necessary "factory service".

In most cases the dial, hands and or the bezel insert got swapped. I already have several examples but would like to see your:

"I can see where it says SWISS under the black paint at the bottom...but the 4 lines are just horrible...."

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Philipp

March 31st, 2016, 6:54 pm #7

reportedly was given to this individual's father by someone aeons ago.

I want to say something here with utmost and all due respect. No offense meant to anyone.

Watches in 1965 were watches. It was worth $50.00 maybe.

Dials were refinished if they looked bad. Radium dials OFTEN looked bad for reasons we all are aware of.

Whilst I realize everyone's quest for the perfect museum barn find, you simply have to be a little realistic maybe Phillip.

In 1958 these weren't issued as limited edition collector's pieces in special boxes with a host of accoutrements and kept in safes as such. Collector's items didn't exist in 1958. It was just a watch, and it was treated like any other watch by

independent watch repairers and decades of tradition and that was not and is not a criminal offense.

This man had NO idea what he had. He was almost literally without words when I told him the honest possible value of this watch and I couldn't even bring myself to mention in exact dollars what a perfect example with original dial and hands might bring. It was like a scene from Antiques Roadshow. The man is in his 70's likely.

He plans to leave the watch to his son.

I am only here to try and bring it to the best possible working order and sympathetic refurbishment as he does wear it every day and it stopped running properly.

The insert was glued in by the last person to work on it so it would not be lost. I probably will have to do that as well but I will try and do a better job. The bezel was frozen to the case. It turns now.

I am recommending strongly that he let me obtain an aftermarket bezel and insert for his daily wear and that we put this one away for safekeeping due to it's extreme value and risk of possible loss due to lack of proper adherence of the insert to the bezel ring. The insert alone is worth more than the entire watch was

in 2000. If I can convince him to do that I will lightly super glue the insert as that is easily removed and perhaps someone with a stronger desire later can source a nice original bezel that will sufficiently hold the insert.

I was very surprised to see a gilt refinished dial. Mostly they are "printed". this one is NOT printed.

It often pains me greatly of late, to see the condescension and disdain constantly coming for watches that have been otherwise treated normally in the field for 60 + years,and being portrayed as road fill compared to the holy grail pieces that the elite wealthy crowd promote, proliferate and speculate on.

Furthermore imho an effort to find original parts where they have been changed and put them back into a watch that will most benefit from the restoration is also not a criminal offense.

If you have an otherwise extremely nice rare automobile, save for an unsalvageable quarter panel...does it not behoove one to find a proper vintage and condition panel from an otherwise useless car that is damaged beyond repair or an NOS panel and install it rendering the auto whole again?

I think while the quest for original pieces has definite validity, the over emphasis on this and the ski slope nose effect on pieces that have not had the perfect life is undermining the enjoyment for many. Is the quest for and disappointment in the lack of "holy grail" ruining the fraternity and otherwise pleasantry of mutual enthusiasm for Rolex watches? Something to think about. Just my humble opinion. To each his own.

This watch is just this man's watch. He doesn't care if a collector likes it or not.

Here are some further photos of the watch. Please don't use these without express permission. It is not my watch and the images of it are really not for further use with respect to the owner.

It is very hard to capture the SWISS at 6:00 but it is definitely there and S W I S S with a loupe.

March 31st, 2016, 7:23 pm #8

♚ SingaporeanWatchBaron ♚
♚ SgWatchBaron ♚

March 31st, 2016, 8:02 pm #9

I want to say something here with utmost and all due respect. No offense meant to anyone.

Dials were refinished if they looked bad. Radium dials OFTEN looked bad for reasons we all are aware of.

Whilst I realize everyone's quest for the perfect museum barn find, you simply have to be a little realistic maybe Phillip.

In 1958 these weren't issued as limited edition collector's pieces in special boxes with a host of accoutrements and kept in safes as such. Collector's items didn't exist in 1958. It was just a watch, and it was treated like any other watch by

independent watch repairers and decades of tradition and that was not and is not a criminal offense.

This man had NO idea what he had. He was almost literally without words when I told him the honest possible value of this watch and I couldn't even bring myself to mention in exact dollars what a perfect example with original dial and hands might bring. It was like a scene from Antiques Roadshow. The man is in his 70's likely.

I am only here to try and bring it to the best possible working order and sympathetic refurbishment as he does wear it every day and it stopped running properly.

The insert was glued in by the last person to work on it so it would not be lost. I probably will have to do that as well but I will try and do a better job. The bezel was frozen to the case. It turns now.

I am recommending strongly that he let me obtain an aftermarket bezel and insert for his daily wear and that we put this one away for safekeeping due to it's extreme value and risk of possible loss due to lack of proper adherence of the insert to the bezel ring. The insert alone is worth more than the entire watch was

in 2000. If I can convince him to do that I will lightly super glue the insert as that is easily removed and perhaps someone with a stronger desire later can source a nice original bezel that will sufficiently hold the insert.

I was very surprised to see a gilt refinished dial. Mostly they are "printed". this one is NOT printed.

It often pains me greatly of late, to see the condescension and disdain constantly coming for watches that have been otherwise treated normally in the field for 60 + years,and being portrayed as road fill compared to the holy grail pieces that the elite wealthy crowd promote, proliferate and speculate on.

Furthermore imho an effort to find original parts where they have been changed and put them back into a watch that will most benefit from the restoration is also not a criminal offense.

If you have an otherwise extremely nice rare automobile, save for an unsalvageable quarter panel...does it not behoove one to find a proper vintage and condition panel from an otherwise useless car that is damaged beyond repair or an NOS panel and install it rendering the auto whole again?

I think while the quest for original pieces has definite validity, the over emphasis on this and the ski slope nose effect on pieces that have not had the perfect life is undermining the enjoyment for many. Is the quest for and disappointment in the lack of "holy grail" ruining the fraternity and otherwise pleasantry of mutual enthusiasm for Rolex watches? Something to think about. Just my humble opinion. To each his own.

This watch is just this man's watch. He doesn't care if a collector likes it or not.

Here are some further photos of the watch. Please don't use these without express permission. It is not my watch and the images of it are really not for further use with respect to the owner.

It is very hard to capture the SWISS at 6:00 but it is definitely there and S W I S S with a loupe.

As you might now i've been hunting down quite a lot of Big Crowns so i'm all aware about the fact that these rare vintage Rolex back in the days where not as special as they are now.

So that exactly the reason why I want to write about all those great iconic Rolex that have been serviced and then many of them got "destroyed" for collectors means, like yours you're repairing.

You see it shows it's extremely difficult to find a all original example as generally it's rare to find any big crown but it's really exceptional to find one thats still has all original parts.

Fact that these grail tool watches have been used but have not been serviced, or at least got the dial, hands or bezel insert got swapped is explaining collectors it's become hopeless to find one. I agree it's up to each personal taste to collect what you want but I like to find the impossible so maybe when you show your guys some of my 4 Line Big Crown Submariners, he allows me to use his pictures for my report, which would be cool! Let me know!

Cheers,
Philipp

4 liner as tropical should be

full set, including OCC, warranty, invoice etc..

&

Got this on by VRF...

In case you missed it, great story over here:http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/m ... n+6538+OCC...

Cheers and thanks again for tuning in!

Philipp

March 31st, 2016, 9:24 pm #10

A watch owned by an unpretentious gentleman, to be left to his son...priceless.